• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani or Judge as MVP?

1 hour ago, Sully151 said:

There was one CO-MVP in 1979. What are the chances of this legitimately happening, or MLB manipulating the vote to make sure it happens?

I can promise you MLB can’t manipulate the vote. I have a role in the voting process.

And I’d say a tie is possible but unlikely. 

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I think today has pretty much sealed it for Judge. 

The fact it's even as close as it is is testament to how amazing Ohtani is. 

This is the right take. Judge is going to win and is having a historic season and destroying the leaderboards compared to the rest of baseball (let alone his AL only competition) yet Ohtani is still making it a discussion. 

In future history, Ohtani will likely be remembered as the more  impressive player than Judge.

Especially when the New York bias of today  is filtered out. 

Judge's season could be an outlier while Ohtani has shown two way elite status like only Ruth most of his healthy  career. And now has passed almost all of Ruth's pitching numbers..

But for this season the contrast between the Yankees and Angels may factor into the voting. Even if just as a secondary reason to support Judge. 

IF Judge slumps and Ohtani finishes on a hot streak it could still be a close vote. But I think the momentum is with Judge now as he closes in on the Maris record. Ohtanii though is making a serious case for the Cy Young as well. 

Ruth only won 1 mvp award. He had a 14.2 WAR season in 1923. The following year he hit .378/.513/.739/1.252 with 46 homed runs leading every player in baseball, had an 11.8 WAR and didn't receive one vote on the MVP ballot. 

Walter Johnson won that year with a 7.5 WAR as a pitcher. He was no Babe Ruth. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Ruth only won 1 mvp award. He had a 14.2 WAR season in 1923. The following year he hit .378/.513/.739/1.252 with 46 homed runs leading every player in baseball, had an 11.8 WAR and didn't receive one vote on the MVP ballot. 

Yeah, I was shocked to find out that Ruth only won 1 MVP. Not sure if voting was different back then or what was going on.

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

7 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Yeah, I was shocked to find out that Ruth only won 1 MVP. Not sure if voting was different back then or what was going on.

Yes, the rules were different.  From '22-'29, if you won the award, you weren't eligible to win it again.  That's why Ruth only won one.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's like giving out participation trophies 

Things were very different back then!  It technically wasn't even an "MVP" award:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Most_Valuable_Player_Award#League_Awards_(1922–1929)

"In 1922 the American League created a new award to honor "the baseball player who is of the greatest all-around service to his club". Winners, voted on by a committee of eight baseball writers chaired by James Crusinberry, received a bronze medal and a cash prize.Voters were required to select one player from each team and player-coaches and prior award winners were ineligible. Famously, these criteria resulted in Babe Ruth winning only a single MVP award before it was dropped after 1928. The National League award, without these restrictions, lasted from 1924 to 1929."