• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani or Judge as MVP?

A pretty cool chart from this article. Judge aside, it is interesting to see how things thin out around 160 (the same is true of wRC+). 160 generally means you're one of the top 5 hitters in baseball. 170 might lead the majors, 180 almost always does - and many seasons don't have a 180 OPS+/wRC+ hitter.

Judge's season is noteworthy because, as of this writing, it is the highest non-Bondsian OPS+ (and wRC+, I think) since the 1950s and Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams. Considering how stats have equalized since, it truly is a remarkable season.

image.png

Yankees won that game on a walk off grand slam from Stanton. Judge is front and center on ESPN with #60. I don't think Ohtani is getting the same attention when he pitches a gem and has a good hitting game even though once again, Ohtani is doing something NO OTHER PLAYER has. Just imagine if Ohtani was on the Yankees too. ESPN wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Yankees won that game on a walk off grand slam from Stanton. Judge is front and center on ESPN with #60. I don't think Ohtani is getting the same attention when he pitches a gem and has a good hitting game even though once again, Ohtani is doing something NO OTHER PLAYER has. Just imagine if Ohtani was on the Yankees too. ESPN wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

To me this lends itself to him being a pretty strong candidate for the HOF even if he can't sustain it for like 15-20 years.  And even if he doesn't hit any typical HOF milestones.  Not giving him the MVP is kind of like punishing the unicorn because he's a unicorn.  

But Judge has been absolutely incredible.  running away with hr and rbi titles and now with the batting title lead.   It really is one of the greatest offensive seasons of all time.  Especially considering the quality of competition now.  

Personally, I would have a very hard time casting a vote if I had one.  But who he plays for is going to have a large impact on who's gonna win.  In other words, if Ohtani was a Yankee and Judge a Halo, I think Ohtani wins pretty easily.  

And Ohtani winning last year makes it an easy justification to vote for Judge.

Not that he doesn't deserve it. It's as if Ohtani already was acknowledged for his uniqueness and now is taken for granted. The subconscious feeling might be that there is no need to keep doing it unless he towers over other competitors. Which isn't the case this season. 

The interesting thing will be to see how far he gets in Cy Young voting. His innings will be more than the relief pitchers who have won the award. And he's the undisputed ace on a losing team. Probably ending with twice as many wins than losses and great metrics on a team struggling on offense and defense. But again, there is tough competition. 

I see him finishing second in the MVP, third for the Cy Young. Even though collectively this season is probably better than last year 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I think Judge wins even if he is on the A's. 

Especially if he ends up winning the triple crown.  

Breaks the AL HR record and hits more hrs than anyone not on roids?
Yankee and they're making the playoffs?
Wins triple crown or even comes close?

that's like the triple crown of crack for the voters.  

I'd say Judge's chances of winning the MVP:

Right now: 90%

When Judge hits #62: 95%

If he wins the Triple Crown: 98%

Oh, he's also on pace for the first non-Bonds 11 fWAR hitting season since Joe Morgan in 1975.

Ohtani is historic, but so is Judge. And unlike Judge, someone had a similar season to Ohtani just last year.

For me it's not even a close discussion...

1.04 WHIP, 2.4 ERA, .900 OPS...

Judge is having a great season for a power hitter (albeit on a little league field).  He CAN NOT impact the game in a more meaningful way than Shohei...

There's no argument beyond: "well, we want to mix it up this year and give it to someone else".... or "Shohei has an "unfair" advantage as a pitcher"... or "but the HR record is such a hallowed record we have to acknowledge the feat somehow"...

Judge is not even an elite fielder (which is kind of amazing really when you consider he only has to cover ground about the size of your living room)...

Who is the league's "Most Valuable Player"... uh - Shohei...

If Judge becomes the first "non Steroid" influenced player to break Maris record it will be hard to deny him the MVP.  Especially with the east coast media slobbering over the record.  Ohtani has done something that they really need to come up with a new award for.  His season was THAT special on so many levels.  

We just need to come up with a name for the award.  Maybe the Ohtani Trophy.   Awarded to the best player in both leagues based on multiple  metrics.

On 9/14/2022 at 9:34 PM, m0nkey said:

And you know that there are two voters for each AL/NL city make up the voter pool for awards?

On 9/15/2022 at 12:42 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

There are two voters from each city.

So there are 10 voters from AL East cities and 10 voters from AL West cities.

Feels like this is worth mentioning again with people saying east coast bias

20 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I'd certainly sell any home run ball I wound up with.  People be crazy.  

Was thinking about this earlier today. They were talking about how much it might go for on the radio.

Younger me used to think "maaaan... you catch that ball, what do you do? You sell it and you're rich. But you keep it, and you're the only person in the world with something so historic!"

Current me would sell it for well under "rich". 

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was thinking about this earlier today. They were talking about how much it might go for on the radio.

Younger me used to think "maaaan... you catch that ball, what do you do? You sell it and you're rich. But you keep it, and you're the only person in the world with something so historic!"

Current me would sell it for well under "rich". 

Not even a question.