• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani or Judge as MVP?

5 hours ago, ScottSted said:

It's so dumb. Yeah the HRs are impressive but his OPS is the same as Yelich in 2019. And Harper in 2015. And Pujols in 2008 and 2009. And Todd Helton. And Jim Thome. 

Shohei is having a season that has never been had before. 

Also WAR is broken

Judge's OPS+: 213

Yellich in 2019: 179

Harper in 2015: 198 

Pujols in 2008: 192

Pujols in 2009: 189

Helton in 2000: 163

Thome in 2002: 197

WAR might not be the best statistic in the world but I doubt you'd be saying it's "broken" if Ohtani was leading in it.

The Fangraphs and Baseball Reference WAR do have an error when dealing with him. They give him the positional adjustment of the DH when he is the pitcher. Technically he's both, and while I think the DH adjustment (-17.5 runs Fangraphs, -15 Baseball Reference) is too high in general, for the 27 or 28 games he's appeared at as a pitcher and the DH, he should be given a positive positional adjustment for batting for those innings.

It's not much, but it would be worth maybe -2 runs in his pitching days, but if they gave him a positive position adjustment of +7.5 it would be worth over 3 runs net. It would move his bWAR to 10.2, and his fangraphs to 9.6. Judge is at 10.2 and 11 respectively.

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

The Fangraphs and Baseball Reference WAR do have an error when dealing with him. They give him the positional adjustment of the DH when he is the pitcher. Technically he's both, and while I think the DH adjustment (-17.5 runs Fangraphs, -15 Baseball Reference) is too high in general, for the 27 or 28 games he's appeared at as a pitcher and the DH, he should be given a positive positional adjustment for batting for those innings.

It's not much, but it would be worth maybe -2 runs in his pitching days, but if they gave him a positive position adjustment of +7.5 it would be worth over 3 runs net. It would move his bWAR to 10.2, and his fangraphs to 9.6. Judge is at 10.2 and 11 respectively.

Was actually thinking about this last night. That his numbers under WAR suffer a bit because he's a DH. Then I wondered (no idea) what his offensive WAR would be if he was viewed as a pitcher instead.

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

So, I totally get the steroids argument. But I wonder...

How accurate is it to say Baseball is clean now? (Tatis... pujols, cough).

And second... and I have no idea... anyone here heard of SARMs? I wonder if baseball allows them or not.

Completely legal. Literally alternate steroids. 

So who's to say it's not still happening?

13 hours ago, Hubs said:

It is calculated correctly. There is no such thing as replacement level pitcher offense.