• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani: "...like the team. Love the fans...but more than that, I want to win. I'll leave it at that."

jsnpritchett

22 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Is this lowkey shots fired at Trout/Rendon/the Angels training staff?

"That was our motivation, but the guys didn't come back."

We kept on hearing about guys coming back, but they never did. Seems like the players were fed that false hope as well.

16 minutes ago, Trendon said:

We kept on hearing about guys coming back, but they never did. Seems like the players were fed that false hope as well.

And who were we hearing that from??   Probably the same guy the players did.  

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I would guess this is a lost in translation quote. Same with his quote about wanting to win. It is probably much more flattering in Japanese than the direct translation to English. 

13 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

He has ZERO intention of EVER signing a superstar FA pitcher.

come on, man. you know that, as always, a player has to want to come here. he's tried but pitchers wanted to go elsewhere. it wasn't because of arte's reluctance.

28 minutes ago, Tank said:

come on, man. you know that, as always, a player has to want to come here. he's tried but pitchers wanted to go elsewhere. it wasn't because of arte's reluctance.

I see that, if it was only for a shorter period of time.

But ten years?  (Nibs the most recent)

Why do FA hitters come here, but not FA pitchers?   Doesn’t make sense.

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I see that, if it was only for a shorter period of time.

But ten years?  (Nibs the most recent)

Why do FA hitters come here, but not FA pitchers?   Doesn’t make sense.

i would imagine the staggering number of pitchers that undergo TJs is probably a factor in why pitchers aren't coming here. it isn't because they aren't offered enough money as our offers seem to be competitive.

This is all so frustrating because if Artie would just see Ohtani as a separate component of the budget and go get the pitching (that wants to play for the Angels) we could take off as an organization.  And pitchers are going to look at Trout, Marsh and Adell and want to play on that team.

The operative words were "more than that." Referencing the fans and atmosphere.

It seems so obvious that he will go wherever he feels he has the best chance to win. All things being equal regarding money, term, conducive environment. In other words, no intention of enduring any sort of rebuild. Which basically means contend in 2022 or endure a lame duck 2023 and wait for a trade or play out the season impressing bidders if the team again flounders. 

Maybe it's the translation, but it seems starkly honest. After all he is a mercenary in the true sense of the word. No childhood nostalgia or geographic  or emotional allegiance to any city. It seems likely he will return to Japan after his career and leave his legacy in the record books and future histories. 

Unlike Trout, loyalty and continuity with the organization  seems out of the equation. Or any regards for the Angels patiently enduring his multiple injuries. It's one hundred percent Ohtani coming to MLB, making his mark, trying to achieve the highest degree of personal and team success. I doubt money is even a dominant factor. 

42 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

It seems so obvious that he will go wherever he feels he has the best chance to win. All things being equal regarding money, term, conducive environment. In other words, no intention of enduring any sort of rebuild. Which basically means contend in 2022 or endure a lame duck 2023 and wait for a trade or play out the season impressing bidders if the team again flounders. 

Maybe it's the translation, but it seems starkly honest. After all he is a mercenary in the true sense of the word. No childhood nostalgia or geographic  or emotional allegiance to any city. It seems likely he will return to Japan after his career and leave his legacy in the record books and future histories. 

Unlike Trout, loyalty and continuity with the organization  seems out of the equation. Or any regards for the Angels patiently enduring his multiple injuries. It's one hundred percent Ohtani coming to MLB, making his mark, trying to achieve the highest degree of personal and team success. I doubt money is even a dominant factor. 

That's rather hyperbolic.  He stated that he values winning over the fan atmosphere and personal relationships with teammates.  That's about it and that's consistent with what most elite players would say whether they say it to the press or not.  Putting a 2022 deadline on things is just plucking stuff out of thin air.  I don't doubt that should 2023 come and go and they are not serious contenders by then that he will look at the Angels as irredeemable but putting a 2022 deadline on winning is plucking things out of thin air.  Ohtani as mercenary is at this point a personal narrative of yours.

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

So his official translator...didn't translate it "accurately?"  That's weird.  Maybe Ippei translated it in a way that he felt was more accurate to how he thinks/knows Shohei meant it?  But, yeah, not sure what else I could have done initially. 

Ippei is an employee of the Angels, so obviously he's just mailing in it also.

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Imagine if Ohtani said, “I love the team and the fans so much, who cares if we win”

ha.  

I like what he said.  Seems honest, sincere, and not crazy.  Trout basically said the same thing.  They want to win.  Who doesn't.  

The moment I read it, though, I knew people were gonna go nuts with it.   That is what it is.  It happened with Trout.  It's gonna get tiring... until the Angels lock him up.   

6 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Seems obvious that nobody knows where he will end up.  

Mang, you all are some negative mother fuckers.

The next owner will pay more than 10x what Arte paid for the team.  They’ll also have to pay Arte rent since I highly doubt Arte sells the stadium land.  The owner will still have the same tv contract, still pay into revenue sharing, still have the Trout, Rendon contracts to pay out.  So unless you find a Balmer type, the very richest of the rich (unlike Arte) they will undoubtedly take on debt and will certainly be at a disadvantage compared to Arte. 

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

More discussion of what was asked, what the answers were, and how those things were translated. The net takeaway for me is still that Ohtani isn't exactly happy.

Whenever I want a definitive translation from Japanese I always turn to someone named Hernandez