• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani: "...like the team. Love the fans...but more than that, I want to win. I'll leave it at that."

jsnpritchett

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Without the incredibly long absence of Trout and the Rendon injury, along with our hitters falling off the cliff in August/September, and with some better pitching and defense, we would probably be in the postseason. This team, when you look at it objectively, is not all that bad. 

We must cut down on the injuries next year. That's priority #1.

The dodgers got destroyed pitching wise, and still had the best team era in baseball.

But thats also the deepest, most expensive team in baseball.

I think any team that lost trout and rendon is going to struggle. Didnt hurt our pitching (some defense maybe), but a team that was built on offense? Kind of a death blow.

I think the fact that our pitching and defense were so bad, and that we were about .500 all year with trout and rendon out is pretty impressive, personally. 

Like you said. Had trout and rendon been healthy this year, I think we likely add 10-15 wins. (And ohtani having a boost in numbers). We'd be a wild card team with that.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Without the incredibly long absence of Trout and the Rendon injury, along with our hitters falling off the cliff in August/September, and with some better pitching and defense, we would probably be in the postseason. This team, when you look at it objectively, is not all that bad. 

We must cut down on the injuries next year. That's priority #1.

Stay healthy

Hit well for the entire season

Pitch better

Play defense better

Anything else?

Just Trout and Rendon could make a huge difference.  As big as any pair in the league, especially when you consider who actually replaced them.

Enough to make the postseason? Nah... but get improvement anywhere else... defense... outfield... pitching. .. and it could easily be enough 

On 9/28/2021 at 8:35 AM, Stradling said:

The next owner will pay more than 10x what Arte paid for the team.  They’ll also have to pay Arte rent since I highly doubt Arte sells the stadium land.  The owner will still have the same tv contract, still pay into revenue sharing, still have the Trout, Rendon contracts to pay out.  So unless you find a Balmer type, the very richest of the rich (unlike Arte) they will undoubtedly take on debt and will certainly be at a disadvantage compared to Arte. 

Ballmer, rescue the Halos!

On 9/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, Stradling said:

The next owner will pay more than 10x what Arte paid for the team.  They’ll also have to pay Arte rent since I highly doubt Arte sells the stadium land.  The owner will still have the same tv contract, still pay into revenue sharing, still have the Trout, Rendon contracts to pay out.  So unless you find a Balmer type, the very richest of the rich (unlike Arte) they will undoubtedly take on debt and will certainly be at a disadvantage compared to Arte. 

So basically you're saying Arte has destroyed the franchise.

22 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

That would actually be not either re-signing or trading R. Iglesias.

LOL if he walks away and they get squat, when they could have gotten solid potential back in trade.

The most Halos thing, letting someone leave without anything in exchange

The last (only?) great thing we did in this area was not re-signing Teixeira, which got us Trout.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So basically you're saying Arte has destroyed the franchise.

Yes and I encourage everyone who shares in that opinion to jump off the bandwagon.  Then again I’m a huge proponent of “if your hobby makes you miserable find a new hobby”.  
We’ve had a shitty six years but I’m guessing our winning percentage under Arte is the highest of any owner we’ve had.  And we know we’ve had twice as many post season seasons under Arte than Autry and Disney combined.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes and I encourage everyone who shares in that opinion to jump off the bandwagon.  Then again I’m a huge proponent of “if your hobby makes you miserable find a new hobby”.  
We’ve had a shitty six years but I’m guessing our winning percentage under Arte is the highest of any owner we’ve had.  And we know we’ve had twice as many post season seasons under Arte than Autry and Disney combined.  

Only one in the past 12 seasons, and there seems to be no end in sight.

Once they made it for the first time in 1979, this is the second longest drought behind just 1987-2001.

And there are extra spots in the post-season the past 12 seasons, compared to before 1995.

Something happened once Stoneman stepped down after 2007, that manifested after 2009.

I've adjusted my expectations for this team and will be happy if we get to the postseason before I'm 90. That's still a good few years from now. I believe they have a good chance.

When you're an Angels fan, the excitement starts to wear off around mid-June. By September it's usually a dull ache. But this year has been different with the spectacular heroics of Ohtani. MVP, absolutely. A nice little bonus will be if we knock Seattle out of the playoffs this weekend. 

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

unimpressed jerk off motion GIF

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Once they made it for the first time in 1979, this is the second longest drought behind just 1987-2001.

And there are extra spots in the post-season the past 12 seasons, compared to before 1995.

Something happened once Stoneman stepped down after 2007, that manifested after 2009.

The last great "feel good" moment for the Angels in the postseason was Jeffy's walk-off double against the Yankees. 

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What if your hobby makes you laugh?

35 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sure, and other teams in their division improved. 

Stoneman was a shrewd, savvy GM. As a former player (pitched two no hitters) he knew about the subtle intangibles that factor into being a good major leaguer. Obviously stats are important, but he managed in an era before the obsession with numbers took over. Scouting, observation, psychology, relationships are important factors in both finding good young players and making trades. There really haven't been many former players who have become general managers. Not many can adapt, have the requisite skill set or have the patience to work their way up the ladder. But Stoneman had a very thorough background on the field and beyond. 

From a Sam Blum article on the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2852359/2021/09/27/angels-power-brokers-call-for-improved-roster-following-another-losing-season-this-cant-continue-to-go-on/

The issue is that the vast majority of the Angels’ money is invested in players who are either hurt or playing elsewhere. Of the $180 million being spent, a little less than $30 million accounts for active Angels players, per Sportrac. That’s including $5 million on pitcher Alex Cobb, who only just returned a week ago after missing months with a wrist injury.

1 minute ago, Revad said:

From a Sam Blum article on the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2852359/2021/09/27/angels-power-brokers-call-for-improved-roster-following-another-losing-season-this-cant-continue-to-go-on/

The issue is that the vast majority of the Angels’ money is invested in players who are either hurt or playing elsewhere. Of the $180 million being spent, a little less than $30 million accounts for active Angels players, per Sportrac. That’s including $5 million on pitcher Alex Cobb, who only just returned a week ago after missing months with a wrist injury.

Is that good