• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pre-Hot Stove Discussion; or, how do you spend $45 million this offseason?

For the Pitching side; 

Next year, it will be an Interesting offseason for us. For once in a long while, we've finally have a pitching staff forming! 

1. othani, a true number 1.

2. Sandy; our breakout pitcher of the year, he has an ERA around 3.08 this season as an starter. Pitching as a solid 2! 

3. Detmers, front of the Rotation upside

4. Rodriguez; his stuff reminds me alot of Berrios

5. Barria; new improved velo, helps him reach his ceiling as a middle of the Rotation Arm

6. Suarez, Middle-of the Rotation arm type of upside? 

7. Canning, oops totally for got about, the upside is stil there and he's still young.

That's seven starters. If I'm Perry My focus would be on the Bp, while keeping tabs on guys like Schezer, verlands and Thor

1. Re-sign Iglesiasi: 45-50 mil over 4 years (8 Mil first year)

2.Sign Muhugh; 13 Mil over 2 years (5.5 Mil first year)

3. Sign a cheap Bp peiece (2-3 mil range) 

estimate on Bp spent:  13.5 Mil

Hopefully a guy or two breakout from the Minors and provides help to the Bp.

Now with the Bp taken care of. lets move back to the Rotation.

Like I said, we have 7 guys that can start, and an 8th in Bachman that could be called up late next season. The goal should be nothing less than a soldi 2! 

Go hard after the following player;

1. Scherzer! 80-90 Mil for 3 years. If Dodgers don't try to re-sign him than we must go for it! 

or

2. Or Thor depending on how his recovery goes

Now this is where it gets interesting, I would also re-sign Cobb, while resigning, cobb I would also look to trade one of the seven arms be have to fill other spots. 

so ideally, I would like us to;

Scherzer; 80-90 Mil (25 Mil the first year)

Cobb: 24 Mil over 2 years (12 Mil the first year. 

A Package of Adell, BArria/Suarez/Canning, Jackson + for a Tor Arm to add.

If we sign SWchezer, Arte better open his book, we going to have to get closer to 200 Mil for next season. 

Re-sign both Iglesias'. Make a run at Scherzer or Stroman; lock up some bullpen help. Re-sign Cobb (or let him walk if you think its best) and get a backup C. Either way, we definitely need to secure another solid rotation arm who can be consistent to pair with Ohtani before letting the young arms have their shot.

Stassi, Walsh, Fletcher, Rendon, Iglelsias, Marsh, Trout, Upton/Adell Ohtani

Ohtani, TOR#2, Sandoval, Cobb, Suarez/Canning/Detmers/C-Rod 

On 7/31/2021 at 7:40 PM, Hubs said:

Cobb, Raisel, one of the FA shortstops, Stroman, Two BP arms. 

Cobb was paid 15 this year but we only paid 5 of that. He’s 34 in October.  I’d imagine he gets 2-3 years max at like 7-8 M per season. Say 8-10-12 to be generous, which is 3/30. 

I doubt Bundy is back if he doesn’t turn it around in the next two months. But if not, Marcus Stroman make sense at like 18-22. like Ryu’s deal probably.

Then Raisel gets a slight raise and three to four years. He’s not getting Liam Hendricks money so say 11/13/15/17. Which is a lot but they haven’t had a closer as good as him since Frankie left or the one year Street was decent.

Problem is, that’s already 37. 

And I don’t want a budget shortstop. Seager might get the most but so might Baez or Story or Correa. Other than the cheater and I’d  take any of them or any of the other top SS. I’d consider bringing Iglesias back but honestly he’s flashy but not a top bat. He does occasionally have heroics and his bat isn’t bad, it’s just not good either.

So that puts me over even before addressing the set-up men. But I’d go get three, one at 5-7, one at 3 and one at 1-2. 
The rotation has presumably two locks in Ohtani and Sandoval, and then I’ve signed two in Stroman and Cobb. The other two spots are up for grabs between Canning, CRod, Barria, Suarez, and Detmers and a bunch of other minor league depth still out there. Barria probably gets it if he keeps pitching this way and Detmers and Canning also have a real shot. But CRod and Suarez can also be used out of the pen. Or in AAA. 

So I’m over budget but my pen is strong with Suarez back there. And CRod is in AAA  being first man up and maybe Canning or Barria is traded somewhere in need of a starter for something else we need. 

The Angels have a 182 M real payroll this year. In 2022 they have a 111 committed to Trout, Rendon, Upton, Ohtani and Fletcher.

Jaime Barria and Griffin Cannkng might be Arb 1 eligible. Mike Mayers Is Arb 2 if they keep him, max Stassous is Arb 3, so he’ll get a small raise, and Junior Guerra is Arb 4 if they keep him. They do not have a large arbitration class. I’d bet they can keep this entire class if they so choose for under 9M.

plus the club control guys (Walsh, Adell, Marsh, Rojas, and a lot of their rotation and pen) and so maybe they top at 125 before FA.

Ohtani and Stassi do not need to be extended. Stassi May be, but he’s under control and you can go to free agency with him in 2023 if you desire. Maybe you give him a three year deal at like 18M, so it would be 4/6/8. 

Ohtani will cost more but not until 2023 when he’s in his final year of arbitration and Upton is off books. You know they planned to have Upton off when Ohtani was going to get paid.

You still have 57 M before you reach the 182 Payroll after all of this. Maybe close to $60.

Depending on what you do in the rotation -and pen you’ll still have $20-$30 to spend on the line up. So you can go get a premier SS if you feel thats necessary. Or a #1 starter type and a budget SS. But you’ll have easily enough money to do what I suggested above, even if you know the payroll May break through the tax in 2024-2026, if you keep bringing back guys liek Walsh and your homegrown pitchers.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:24 AM, Dochalo said:

I appreciate the effort but in my opinion, you just put a pretty decent hurt on the farm system for a bunch of mediocre.  

With a lot of those guys, I'm betting on maximizing their upside. Particularly with Ross, Keller, and López. They all have good stuff, but the results haven't always been there.

In recent years, the Angels have signed a lot of pitchers with track records of being good, but bad stuff, and it doesn't work out.

The problem is that the pitchers with good stuff aren't necessarily available via free agency, so trades are the route you have to go.

One other note is that there's likely gonna be a flood of non-tenders like there were last year, but obviously I don't know who those people will be. So in the offseason, a few of those trades may be swapped out for signing non-tendered free agents.

On 8/1/2021 at 8:10 AM, wopphil said:

I looked a bunch of these guys up (because I didn’t know much about them). Ross and Keller seem unimpressive. What do you like about these two? What do you like about Finnegan? Why expend prospect capital when you could seemingly get better production, without the prospect cost, from a guy like Cobb? 

I like them because of the combination of stuff and them being pre-arb or arbitration eligible. You can't just sign a bunch of free agents because the money will add up. Also, it helps avoid long-term commitments because you could always non-tender arb eligible players vs. being locked into a 2-3 year deal.

I'd also prefer Cobb, but he may cost a lot, especially based on how much he's already making. (Remember, he's making $15 million dollars when you factor in how much Baltimore is paying him).

I do the following.

Re-sign Cobb and Raisel.....

Sign Free Agent Short Stop - Carlos Correa

Sign RP's - Mychal Givens and Kendall Graveman

Use the kids in the other Bullpen spots!

22 Lineup

1. Fletcher - 2B

2. Correa - SS - 27/28 years old and from a West Team and has played his entire carrier in the AL.

3. Trout - CF

4. Ohtani - DH

5. Rendon - 3B

6. Walsh - 1B

7. Upton - LF  --- Or Trade and Place Jo Adell in this spot

8. Stassi - C

9. Marsh - RF

Rotation: Ohtani, Cobb, Sandavol, CROD, Barria, Suarez/Detmers, Canning

Bullpen: Raisel, Givens, Graveman, Mayers, Suarez/Detmers, Warren, Wantz, Pena, Selman (ANY KID in the MINORS)

Bench: Ward, Lagares, Rengifo, Thaiss

3 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I do the following.

Re-sign Cobb and Raisel.....

Sign Free Agent Short Stop - Carlos Correa

Sign RP's - Mychal Givens and Kendall Graveman

Use the kids in the other Bullpen spots!

22 Lineup

1. Fletcher - 2B

2. Correa - SS - 27/28 years old and from a West Team and has played his entire carrier in the AL.

3. Trout - CF

4. Ohtani - DH

5. Rendon - 3B

6. Walsh - 1B

7. Upton - LF  --- Or Trade and Place Jo Adell in this spot

8. Stassi - C

9. Marsh - RF

Rotation: Ohtani, Cobb, Sandavol, CROD, Barria, Suarez/Detmers, Canning

Bullpen: Raisel, Givens, Graveman, Mayers, Suarez/Detmers, Warren, Wantz, Pena, Selman (ANY KID in the MINORS)

Bench: Ward, Lagares, Rengifo, Thaiss

That would only add about $80-90 million in payroll. 

2 hours ago, Hells Rainbow said:

That would only add about $80-90 million in payroll. 

Yep.

Although i will say this. Ive more or less defended Arte over the years payroll wise, because he spends a ton already. But its time. 

Not saying go full dodgers, but need to up it to 200 or so at least, IMO.

Only problem is Im not sure who in FA there is to throw money at this year.

This might be a strange take but someone was mentioning injuries this year and who the backup would be but hear me out on this.
2021 we've seen vacancies due to injuries at 3B, LF, CF, RF (no solid player) and 1B. 
Out of all those positions there is ONE guy who can play at every one of those (and has done successfully).... Kris Bryant. He's likely worth 6yr/$138M

This is where it's complicated right now. The young guns are killing it right now and they've earned the right to keep their position. If we can re-sign Cobb for the veteran arm the I think we need to flip one of Marsh/Adell/Adams to Miami. We MIGHT be able to get away with Adams for Cabrera or a package of Adams and Canning for Meyer.

A lot of you want to resign Jose Iglesias at SS, I don't.  I would like to get a good look at Michael Stefanic this year at second base and Fletcher at SS before we go SS shopping.  My priorities are one great starter, the pen rebuild, and a better backup catcher.

1 hour ago, tomsred said:

A lot of you want to resign Jose Iglesias at SS, I don't.  I would like to get a good look at Michael Stefanic this year at second base and Fletcher at SS before we go SS shopping.  My priorities are one great starter, the pen rebuild, and a better backup catcher.

If I'm paying for a catcher. I'm trading for a Starter and making Max Stassi the backup! He is less expensive as he has 2 more years of ARB.

Contreras? With the way Sandavol, Suarez and CROD are throwing with an up and coming Detmers.... I might send Canning to Chicago with a minor league OF'er Adams and either an INF'er or another low level arm....

I may be in the minority, but I would sign Stassi to an extension this winter if there is a reasonable deal to be had and not worry about another "starter":

Since his return from the Injured List on June 1, Stassi has been on a tear, emerging as a quality bat from an unlikely position. His 170 wRC+ is the seventh-best mark among hitters with at least 100 plate appearances over that stretch. He leads all catchers in wRC+ during that span, along with a handful of other categories, including slugging percentage.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/max-stassi-is-making-the-most-of-a-small-sample-again/