• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pre-Hot Stove Discussion; or, how do you spend $45 million this offseason?

18 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Then you let him walk.  

...which is again why I felt so strongly that they should have traded him.  I agree with ALF that 3 for 40 is probably the floor for what he'll end up getting.  If the Angels aren't prepared to pony up that much (and I'm not entirely convinced they should for ANY closer) then it was beyond stupid not to trade him at the deadline.  (And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I do not think they should offer him the qualifying offer as there's a decent chance he'd take it and then re-enter free agency after next season.)

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

3/45 for Iglesias.

It will be a terrible deal by year 3 but we need a closer.

Are we trying to compete next year? If so, who the fuck is our closer?

We have no one under club control ready to take on that role. 

Yeah, I mean teams that make the playoffs and do well in postseason play typically have two guys that can close on the roster, plus a solid setup guy and a few situational guys.

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

3/45 for Iglesias.

100% this. If the front office isn't willing to go to 3/$45 for him then they fucked up by not trading him at the deadline. We've got no one even close to ready for the role that he fills. We continue to pick through scraps to build a bullpen. At some point, spend the god damn money and lock down a key piece. Maybe we get lucky and he takes a team friendly deal for whatever reason; but reality is someone is going to offer 3 or 4 years at $45 or higher...we've got to be prepared to match unless its absolutely absurd. 

I absolutely offer him a QO at this point. Gives us a bit of a consolation for not trading him if someone else signs him, and $18m+ for one year isn’t much worse than what we’d be paying him market value. Also might depress his market a bit and make it easier to re-sign.

The more I think about it, the more I realize just how crucial it is that Brandon Marsh and Jo Adell get playing time to run out the year. 

If we have offensive question marks, those guys could be the answer. 
If we need more pitching, one of those guys could help us get the answer. 

And it all starts there. How they perform dictates where we spend money, where we trade for help, etc. It could be the difference in going after a high-dollar SS or more intermediary offensive help in the form of Mark Canha, Chris Taylor, Eduardo Escobar, Eddie Rosario, Joc Pederson. 

It could be the difference in trading for someone like Luis Castillo or Max Meyer or counting on free agency options. 

38 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Hasn't Castillo sucked this year?

First 8 starts: 7.71 ERA in 37.1 IP, 12 BB, 29 K
Last 17 starts: 3.32 RA in 100.1 IP, 47 BB, 109 K (this includes one other clunker where he gave up 8 ER, take that away and it's a 2.69 ERA)

Still not quite as dominant or consistent as you'd like to see, but as @Chuckster70 said, it's #1 stuff with a couple years of control. Hard to acquire but a good arm to target.

18 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

3/45 for Iglesias.

Agreed, and if needing to sweeten the deal add a 4th team option year with $3-$5 million buyout.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I absolutely offer him a QO at this point. Gives us a bit of a consolation for not trading him if someone else signs him, and $18m+ for one year isn’t much worse than what we’d be paying him market value. Also might depress his market a bit and make it easier to re-sign.

Plus, once he gets the QO (assuming he takes it which is highly likely) we could negotiate a second year, start at 2/32M (may have to go up from there).  But he might want three years since even taking the QO ages him a year and he may not pitch as well next in 2022..

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

First 8 starts: 7.71 ERA in 37.1 IP, 12 BB, 29 K
Last 17 starts: 3.32 RA in 100.1 IP, 47 BB, 109 K (this includes one other clunker where he gave up 8 ER, take that away and it's a 2.69 ERA)

Still not quite as dominant or consistent as you'd like to see, but as @Chuckster70 said, it's #1 stuff with a couple years of control. Hard to acquire but a good arm to target.

The one concern is the increase in BBs during the resurgence.

4.3 BBs per 9 innings is a lot.

He does supply much needed durability, maybe less than a handful of starts missed since being first called up in mid-2017.

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The one concern is the increase in BBs during the resurgence.

4.3 BBs per 9 innings is a lot.

He does supply much needed durability, maybe less than a handful of starts missed since being first called up in mid-2017.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Can't wait around forever for the perfect or ideal pitcher, less you want to really, really overpay. Also, hard to really know who that is. 

Every arm runs some risk. The Angels have a window, especially with some of the question marks about Trout and Rendon and now Ohtani's pending free agency (though I think he stays)

There is another train of thought regarding a possible Castillo trade.

They still have Castellanos for two more controlled seasons at $16 million/season.

Would an Adell + upper minors key pitching prospect for Castillo + Castellanos deal work, with the Halos taking on Castellanos’ entire $32 million through 2023?

Would the Halos still have to add a borderline top 10 prospect to the deal?

Too much money to take on?   Or just right?

Halos would also have to feel confident that Adams will succeed up here after 2023.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

There is another train of thought regarding a possible Castillo trade.

They still have Castellanos for two more controlled seasons at $16 million/season.

Would an Adell + upper minors key pitching prospect for Castillo + Castellanos deal work, with the Halos taking on the entire salaries of both through 2023?

Would the Halos still have to add a borderline top 10 prospect to the deal?

Too much money to take on?   Or just right?

I think Castellanos can (and will) opt-out this winter...I remember getting ripped for suggesting Castellanos when he was a FA because defense. 

Defense is still bad, and it has cost us, but damn that bat would have helped.

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I think Castellanos can (and will) opt-out this winter...I remember getting ripped for suggesting Castellanos when he was a FA because defense. 

Defense is still bad, and it has cost us, but damn that bat would have helped.

He would have to decline the opt out of course.

It’s weird that he switched to RF four seasons ago, but is still bad defensively there?

Now I’m having some second thoughts on that idea.