• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pre-Hot Stove Discussion; or, how do you spend $45 million this offseason?

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm still not convinced about the rotation. 

While I’d like to add a guy that slots in between Ohtani and Sandoval, I’d be fine with just upgrades in the pen.  I mean I could totally see Arte signing Seager to play SS. 

I just think we've got a shot at having a great rotation now and we shouldn't waste it because a few guys have pitched well over a relatively small sample size. Detmers and C-Rod are going to be very good, but they need to take their bumps first. 

I just think we need to add a good starter. Obviously that can come via trade, but I don't think the rotation is "set" by any means.

I also don't see Minasian spending on bullpen help, other than maybe re-signing Iglesias.

I have no knowledge of how the Angels manage their payroll but I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how they will be able to pay Trout and Ohtani and have enough money to build a competitive roster over the next 5-7 years.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm still not convinced about the rotation. 

the potential to be a solid staff is there, but what we're missing is seeing sustained success from them over the long haul for a few years.

22 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I just think we've got a shot at having a great rotation now and we shouldn't waste it because a few guys have pitched well over a relatively small sample size. Detmers and C-Rod are going to be very good, but they need to take their bumps first. 

I just think we need to add a good starter. Obviously that can come via trade, but I don't think the rotation is "set" by any means.

I also don't see Minasian spending on bullpen help, other than maybe re-signing Iglesias.

While I like the depth of the young starters, I think there are enough question marks to justify signing at least one new guy, whether Cobb or someone else (better). Maybe they kick the tires on Gausman, or go after Stroman, or just extend Cobb.

The only guys that I see as locks for the Opening Day rotation are Ohtani and Sandoval. Canning's injury is worrisome, and there's the possibility that he stays on the IL for the rest of the year, which would mean he'd start 2022 in AAA.

That leaves Suarez, Barria, Detmers, and Rodriguez. I think they're going to assess these guys over the next two months, to see how they do. Suarez will either remain a starter or go back to the pen; same with Barria. Det and Rod will either make the rotation or go back to AAA to polish up. So maybe three of these guys make the rotation, with the fourth either in the pen or in AAA, joining Canning, Diaz, Naughton, Daniel, Criswell, etc.

But given all that, and the nice depth in AAA, I don't see them needing more than one starter, and it may just be Cobb.

As for the bullpen, who the fuck knows. Re-signing Iglesias is a nice start, but he'll be expensive. Moving Suarez back would help, and Mayers will be back. After that is anyone's guess. I imagine we'll see a few minor league guys called up for auditions over the next two months.

37 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yea, I am not sure how he is going to build the pen.  Maybe this is where the guys that he brought over the Royals and Dodgers fit in.  Both of those teams had/have really good pens.  

1 hour ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Yea, I am not sure how he is going to build the pen.  Maybe this is where the guys that he brought over the Royals and Dodgers fit in.  Both of those teams had/have really good pens.  

I hope he spends $20 million on it. A genuine closer (it's been nice to have one of those again), and at least two reliable veterans to support him. Fill the rest out with the best of the young pitchers we've recently acquired and ride the hot hands in and out of AAA. Spend on the pen!

3 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

I hope he spends $20 million on it. A genuine closer (it's been nice to have one of those again), and at least two reliable veterans to support him. Fill the rest out with the best of the young pitchers we've recently acquired and ride the hot hands in and out of AAA. Spend on the pen!

I don't agree. Bullpens are far too volatile to spend a significant amount of money on. Also, $20 million won't get that much IMO. 

Iglesias will cost at LEAST 15 million a year. The other 5 million could go towards a couple random fliers. 

I don't see the Angels spending a lot on the bullpen, and I'd agree with that decision.

33 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't agree. Bullpens are far too volatile to spend a significant amount of money on. Also, $20 million won't get that much IMO. 

Iglesias will cost at LEAST 15 million a year. The other 5 million could go towards a couple random fliers. 

I don't see the Angels spending a lot on the bullpen, and I'd agree with that decision.

I don’t think Raisel is getting $15 million. 

3 hours ago, 34red4 said:

Marcus Semien: 3 years / $60 million. 18/21/21

Raisel Iglesias: 3 years / $40 million. 12/14/14

Alex Cobb: 2 years / $18 million. 9/9

Collin McHugh: 2 year / $13 million. 6/7

Semien won't take that, this is his last and perfect opportunity to get a long term deal.

22 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The only guys that I see as locks for the Opening Day rotation are Ohtani and Sandoval. Canning's injury is worrisome, and there's the possibility that he stays on the IL for the rest of the year, which would mean he'd start 2022 in AAA.

Other than being a lower back strain what have you heard that makes it worrisome?

40 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Other than being a lower back strain what have you heard that makes it worrisome?

Mostly that we've had bad luck with injuries taking longer to heal this year than expected, and given the time of year, we might not see him again in the majors. So worrisome about his ability to make it back this year, not beyond that.

26 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Mostly that we've had bad luck with injuries taking longer to heal this year than expected, and given the time of year, we might not see him again in the majors. So worrisome about his ability to make it back this year, not beyond that.

Gotcha, I thought maybe I had missed something.   Not gonna lie, I wouldnt be shocked if it's not just a phantom injury type situation where they want him to do a full reset.  I think his issues are between the ears more than anything else.   Too much tinkering.  Also, I think Marsh's plate discipline is hurting him.  He's seemingly too tentative of late.   I think he needs a couple days off to get nice and hitter happy.

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Gotcha, I thought maybe I had missed something.   Not gonna lie, I wouldnt be shocked if it's not just a phantom injury type situation where they want him to do a full reset.  I think his issues are between the ears more than anything else.   Too much tinkering.  Also, I think Marsh's plate discipline is hurting him.  He's seemingly too tentative of late.   I think he needs a couple days off to get nice and hitter happy.

Taylor Ward was kind of in the same boat at first. He was pretty patient in the minors and had a good eye, and when he first came up, he'd often wind up down two strikes, often looking because MLB pitchers went right after him since he was a rook, and then he'd get too hacky trying to protect or make contact. Once he started getting a little more aggressive at the plate, he came around. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've always felt like major league pitchers work backward a lot more often than those in the minors because they can more consistently throw their secondary pitches for strikes.  Which is one of the reasons they're in the bigs mind you.  The rate he's seeing fastballs is well below league avg. right now.  And it's it kind of the mantra in the minors to lay off pretty much anything with spin unless you have two strikes or the pitcher absolutely hung the pitch?  

On 8/5/2021 at 11:33 AM, Hells Rainbow said:

I mean I could totally see Arte signing Seager to play SS. 

The Dodgers factor… since Pujols ended up there.  It’s like a challenge somehow to get a good ex-Dodger, not a challenge that should result in action but for someone who loves a big splash it would be tempting.

Also, I agree Marsh should get a couple days off if Upton is healthy, we now have plenty of actual outfielders but no infielders.   Only the Angels are so clever.