• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

I'll only be upset about not dealing Iglesias if they end up letting him walk. They need to extend him now seeing as how Perry has to rebuild the entire bullpen again. Cobb's the real disappointment. He was pretty much the ideal trade deadline candidate. Mid 30 year old backend SP who is having his best season in about 4-5 years.

Well I got the team wrong, but I had been calling for Heaney for two RP for a couple days. And Espinoza was moved today still.

Bummed we didn’t move Iglesias but hopefully it means they’re working hard to re-sign him.

Hope the kids kick ass these next two months and every team ahead of us collapses.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

I am still pretty stunned at the amount of controllable years, Minasian just picked up in the Tony Watson trade. Really nicely done.

Also Janson Junk might prove to be a clever pickup in the Heaney deal.

We must have cashed in an IOU from the Giants stemming from the Will Wilson trade…

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

It's more absurd is to get nothing for an expiring contract!

That's not absurd it's stupid

You are pretty inconsistent.  You care about the delicate psyche of the team but trade players to get anything rather than nothing, without a care of what that tells the players that are still here. 

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You people can't  understand the logic:

Something is better than nothing!

If we traded  for free drinks at happy hour it would be better than doing nothing and losing them in the Winter.

Cobb and Iglesias were the two best trade assets the Angels had in years.

Their contracts were expiring.   We got two potential major leaguers for Heaney.  You mean we couldnt get a little better for Cobb?  Or even better for Iglesias. 

The only reason why we didn't trade them is that the team has a delusional belief they cam still make the playoffs.  

Fine but we better make the playoffs or extend them.  Otherwise we lost them fir nothing.  Which would have been.worst case scenario.

So I see you were talking about Raisel. What you don't realize or want to accept is that we have an owner who doesn't want to be a loser, no matter how much he interferes in baseball operations. You have a perfectly acceptable right to believe we should be sellers, but that directly conflicts with what Moreno wants which is to win, even if the odds are not in our favor. I am fine if we do or do not extend Raisel, there are always options to build a bullpen out of, so Minasian can literally go out on the market and steal away another good reliever from another team, rather than re-signing Iglesias (Raisel) at what will likely be a $15M/year type of deal. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, there are always options.

Also, "You people"? Define that for me.

19 minutes ago, ettin said:

I am still pretty stunned at the amount of controllable years, Minasian just picked up in the Tony Watson trade. Really nicely done.

Its possible that Minasian likes the farm.  He has been very conservative in terms of  trading prospects and managed to at least create one SP spot (I thought we needed two).  Maybe he likes developing his own players.

I forgot to say I agree.

Edited by Revad

23 minutes ago, ettin said:

If nothing else he found a bunch of failed SPs with options to try out in the pen.  Selman also has another option year next season.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

what a waste.  Not trading Raisel or Cobb is almost equivalent to trading for rentals.  And for what?  A 2% chance of making the playoffs?  

Especially in such a great market for selling. Just going to hope that the team plans on working really hard to re-sign those two. If they do, it’s not a bad deadline at all. 

Still a bummer.

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are pretty inconsistent.  You care about the delicate psyche of the team but trade players to get anything rather than nothing, without a care of what that tells the players that are still 

Your trading the guy.  Who gives shit about his psyche.  

I also refuse to believe we couldnt got Cobb and Iglesias for at least the same package for Heaney. We improved with farm with Heaney move. Are you seriously saying we couldnt gotten better for those two?

Hell we may have improved with the Watson trade.

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

what a waste.  Not trading Raisel or Cobb is almost equivalent to trading for rentals.  And for what?  A 2% chance of making the playoffs?  

I don’t think not trading Raisel is about making the playoffs this year, but instead next year or longer if we can extend him.  Closers haven’t been out strong suit for a long time.  We finally have a decent one.

Cobb on the other hand makes zero sense.  

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Your trading the guy.  Who gives shit about his psyche.  

I also refuse to believe we couldnt got Cobb and Iglesias for at least the same package for Heaney. We improved with farm with Heaney move. Are you seriously saying we couldnt gotten better for those two?

Hell we may have improved with the Watson trade.

Not his psyche the guys left behind. 

21 minutes ago, ettin said:

So I see you were talking about Raisel. What you don't realize or want to accept is that we have an owner who doesn't want to be a loser, no matter how much he interferes in baseball operations. You have a perfectly acceptable right to believe we should be sellers, but that directly conflicts with what Moreno wants which is to win, even if the odds are not in our favor. I am fine if we do or do not extend Raisel, there are always options to build a bullpen out of, so Minasian can literally go out on the market and steal away another good reliever from another team, rather than re-signing Iglesias (Raisel) at what will likely be a $15M/year type of deal. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, there are always options.

I do not know who is responsible or not responsible for the moves going down.  I said it's a major fail if we are unable to extend Cobb or Iglesias.   

You want that blame to go to Arte thst is fine.  

As for the term "you people"

I had three different posters argue that we "may not have had a good offer".  That is what I was referring to.

14 minutes ago, Biergott said:

I don’t think not trading Raisel is about making the playoffs this year, but instead next year or longer if we can extend him.  Closers haven’t been out strong suit for a long time.  We finally have a decent one.

There is only a slight advantage of extending Iglesias by not trading him.  So I was advocating trading him no matter what.  However I will say if they extend him then holding on to him was a good move.

Key thing....we have to be able to extend him now.

Edited by stormngt

Iglesias is a surprise. But I guess the pen is so weak, they didnt want to lose the one decent arm. If they sign him this winter, not the end of the world.

Im honestly not surprised at Cobb. Id like to believe hes turned a corner. But what @Tank mentioned yesterday, we thought the same about Bundy last year.

I just assume there werent many offers of anything good being offered for him. "Something" maybe. But maybe not enough to take the hit in losing him.

Im not too letdown, just because I didnt see us having a whole lot to trade to begin with.

Id still like to see a move for pitching, using some of our guys in the minors. But thats not deadline deal stuff. More winter trades.

18 minutes ago, ettin said:

I want a lot of things that are completely and utterly unrealistic.  It doesn't mean I'm gonna make poor decisions in pursuit of those things.  The angels missed an opportunity to get better as an org today.  It's just another bad decision to add to the list of bad decisions where they think something in the future negates a poor choice in the present.  Minasian could very well steal away another reliever in the future.  Doesn't mean he missed an opportunity to make the most of the one he already did.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not his psyche the guys left behind. 

who cares about that?  seriously.  they missed a chance to improve today for almost no reason not to.  this team will never get better if they can make the right decisions that might hurt people's feelings in the short term or are geared toward unrealistic short term goals.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

who cares about that?  seriously.  they missed a chance to improve today for almost no reason not to.  this team will never get better if they can make the right decisions that might hurt people's feelings in the short term or are geared toward unrealistic short term goals.  

I don’t care about it.  I’m not a guy who thinks the team ruined Barria. 

15 minutes ago, Biergott said:

extending him still costs money.  It's not like by keeping him we're gonna get some sort of discount.  He made a great move to get him and could have cashed in on improving the team as a result yet missed that chance.  And I absolutely believe that this was all Arte not letting Minasian trade him because there's some sort of slim chance we might make the post season.