• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What can we make of Minasian so far?

Second Base

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I might be seeing what I want to see but so far I feel like Minasian is doing something that Eppler didn't and that was mitigate downside risk.  

He could have gone with Fletch at SS and Rengifo/Barreto at 2b in lieu of Iglesias and the 3m plus prospect cost but he saw the potential downside of that combo at 2b and realized how ugly it could be.  

Same with Iglesias in the pen and Quintana in the rotation.  

plus he's still getting know the system.  He likely doesn't want to jump the gun too early on letting a prospect go who he might end up feeling very strongly about in a good way.  

So he's playing things fairly conservative for the most part.  At least so far.  He might take a bit more a flier on the second arm he adds to the rotation whether its a higher risk one through FAcy or via trade where he's forced to give up some prospects.  

I do think he'll add another stable ish pen arm and someone more predictable for RF.  

Bingo.  Quintana is a great example of that, too.  He is not a high-upside play, but in just about every year, he's a steady 2+ fWAR pitcher.  At 1/8, that's a huge bargain and adds a lot to our rotation.  People see a 1-year deal and think Harvey, Cahill, Teheran, etc - but those guys don't have the recent track record that Quintana does - they either had spotty track records or were multiple injuries away from it.

It is too early to judge, but it does seem Minasian is trying to "increase our floor," so to speak, which I why I expect to see another modest SP signing and, probably, a RF, as we saw what happened last year when we were forced to play someone who was not ready.

5 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

First, Eppler would have been hard to rate based on early work because he seemed to be going to the Dipoto route by trading Aybar and our best pitching prospect for Simmons. 

Aybar literally fell off a cliff bouncing to two other teams after the trade and out of baseball in two years. Newcomb showed some success as a reliever four years after the trade. Last season hecwas crap.

This was, by far, the best Eppler accomplished in his tenure for player acquisition.

43 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Aybar literally fell off a cliff bouncing to two other teams after the trade and out of baseball in two years. Newcomb showed some success as a reliever four years after the trade. Last season hecwas crap.

This was, by far, the best Eppler accomplished in his tenure for player acquisition.

Yeah, it's ironic because a lot of people hated the trade right away but it honestly turned out mostly a win for the Angels. 

Minasian is similar to Eppler to some degree in the type of players he's targeted. One difference on pitching: Minasian has gone for safer targets, whereas Eppler tended to go for guys with warning signs that had high upside potential. If it worked out, you got a bargain. All but Bundy were busts, though. Quintana probably has less upside than most of Eppler's pitching acquisitions, but he cost less than any of them and also has less red flags. 

17 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Yeah, it's ironic because a lot of people hated the trade right away but it honestly turned out mostly a win for the Angels. 

Had Eppler's young pitching staff not all gone under the knife, one after another, the Angels would have been competitive enough to justify a few splash deals. Instead Eppler traded for and extended Upton but never solved the rotation. So much bad luck in those five years. 

It wouldn’t matter who the GM was or is, The Angels have a total lack of prospects at he upper level of the system. This basically precludes them from acquiring a TOR pitcher via trade. Minasian’s main job right now is to build up the system so I will wait to see how the draft goes to judge how he does. 

I really don’t think we can read much into any of what he has done so far.  The only way we would have been able to read anything is if he did something drastic, if he traded off the farm that would be drastic.  If he signed Bauer people would probably just say it was Arte overstepping his GM.

Perry Minasian is playing in a poker tournament. He started in day 2 with less chips than some but more than others. He won some small pots with a new SS and lefty in bullpen. One big pot with a closer and another small pot with a catcher. He stayed in the game with a nice pot with a SP. He still has chips left (some money and all his prospects) so he can go all in anytime if opportunity is there. Minasian main goal is to make the final table because if he does he can get ticket to main event (playoffs). With chips left he is waiting for the right moment to bounce. Let's all stand on the rail and cheer him on.

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I will say this about him, he has built a very strong front office.  Because of this you’d have to think he also has the ability to persuade Arte.  Because this had to increase the budget for front office personnel.  

Or it’s savings from all those scouts they’d been firing.

• 3 weeks later...

Now with Spring training about a week away and roster seem to be set, he's my grade of what Perry had done so far.

I've given him a B

What i have liked

1. Quintana. Really do like this signing. Brings in an Inning eater!

2. The staff in the office, he's brought in a bunch of solid group of guys in

3. Iglesias. Brought in a lock down closer. 

4. Sledgers

What I Dislike or needs to be added

1. Cobb. Not a fan of the trade, and its not because we traded Jones. Its more on the fact that i feel like Barria is most like produce the same results, or better results than Cobb and Barria also is loosing his stater spot once agian. Personally, if we were going to add a stater, i would  have taken a chance at a high risk,high reward type of signing (Richards).

2. Not Protecting Soriano, which i understand, but Soraino is a big arm with alot of upside. 

3. I feel like he could have added another arm in the Bp.

In the Air.

1. Iglesias (ss). not sure about this trade so still up in the air

2. Fowler 

Only thing I'm willing to say at this point is that he's assembled a much more experienced/established staff around him than Eppler did, and that really could go a long ways towards making a big impact.   I think he's a year away from having a real view of the farm system and the team's immediate future.  There are so many variables in play right now including the potential labor issues with a new CBA it's hard for me to fault or praise him for anything.   

His offseason other than acquiring a legit closer is pretty much more of the same.  He's looked for short term deals that if they break right could prove really solid.  The big difference IMO is that he seems to be targeting surer bets and not hoping for an upside play.  Seems like he was more interesting in signing guys for what they have been recently .vs what they were three years ago when they were healthy or their FBs ticked 3 MPH better.  To me that means safer but like always time will tell.

43 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Only thing I'm willing to say at this point is that he's assembled a much more experienced/established staff around him than Eppler did, and that really could go a long ways towards making a big impact.   I think he's a year away from having a real view of the farm system and the team's immediate future.  There are so many variable in play right now including the potential labor issues with a new CBA it's hard for me to fault or praise him for anything.   

His offseason other than acquiring a legit closer is pretty much more of the same.  He's looked for short term deals that if they break right could prove really solid.  The big difference IMO is that he seems to be targeting surer bets and not hoping for an upside play.  Seems like he was more interesting in signing guys for what they have been recently .vs what they were three years ago when they were healthy or their FBs ticked 3 MPH better.  To me that means safer but like always time will tell.

Second Base hit the nail when he said Eppler would have signed Kluber. Probably would've tried harder for Paxton too. Harvey and Cahill were not consistent pitchers in their career, pitching or injury wise. Quintana has thrown 170+ innings every year since 2013 except last year, when he sliced his thumb. He has had an ERA+ over 100 every year except 2019 (93), when his BB's went way down, HR went down, and Hits went up. Other than that, he's a slight above league average pitcher--he's nothing like Cahill, Harvey, or Teheran (velo/spin cratered). 

Cobb is the one that intrigues me. He was good in Tampa. He admitted he was dispirited in Baltimore. I am not expecting the second coming of Bundy, but why can't he be Aaron Sele? 

19 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Second Base hit the nail when he said Eppler would have signed Kluber. Probably would've tried harder for Paxton too. Harvey and Cahill were not consistent pitchers in their career, pitching or injury wise.

Going to have to disagree with you regarding what Harvey was prior to injury.  From age 23 through his age 26 season he posted a 146 ERA.   He was elite.   Then he was hurt.   When I said the difference is that Minasian's pitching signings seem to be more about adding guys for what they are currently rather than what they used to be I'm thinking exactly about Harvey, Teheran, and Allen.  

The predictive data on all three of them was ugly.  Harvey's was so bad I went on record as saying he was the one guy I wanted no part of -- Eppler ignore the warning signs/red flags on all three in hopes they might revert to what they had been previously before injury or loss of velocity or in Teheran's case that he could succeed by changing who he was.  They were upside plays..  Kluber and Paxton would be the same sort of potential upside signs that require one to look past recent injury or stuff issues -- had he made those signings it would have been Eppler redux.. 

Kluber FWIW was a good bet on the Yankees part IMO.

19 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Cobb is the one that intrigues me. He was good in Tampa. He admitted he was dispirited in Baltimore. I am not expecting the second coming of Bundy, but why can't he be Aaron Sele? 

Aaron Sele as an Angel was garbage.   Sele gave the Angels 413 innings of 5.20 ERA 5.17 FIP 85 ERA+ -- that's a pretty low bar to set IMO, but a 4.50-4.75 ERA would at least be an improvement over what the Angels got out of the bottom two spots of the rotation or from any of Cahill, Teheran, or Harvey.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Going to have to disagree with you regarding what Harvey was prior to injury.  From age 23 through his age 26 season he posted a 146 ERA.   He was elite.   Then he was hurt.   When I said the difference is that Minasian signings seem to be more about adding guys for what they are currently rather than what they used to be I'm thinking exactly about Harvey, Teheran, and Allen.  

The predictive data on all three of them was ugly.  Harvey's was so bad I went on record as saying he was the one guy I wanted no part of -- Eppler ignore the warning signs/red flags on all three in hopes they might revert to what they had been previously before injury or loss of velocity or in Teheran's case that he could succeed by changing who he was.  They were upside plays..  Kluber and Paxton would be the same sort of potential upside signs that require one to look past recent injury or stuff issues -- had he made those signings it would have been Eppler redux.. 

Kluber FWIW was a good bet on the Yankees part IMO.

Aaron Sele as an Angel was garbage.   Sele gave the Angels 413 innings of 5.20 ERA 5.17 FIP 85 ERA+ -- that's a pretty low bar to set IMO, but a 4.50-4.75 ERA would at least be an improvement over what the Angels got out of the bottom two spots of the rotation or from any of Cahill, Teheran, or Harvey.

That was my point with Harvey. He had 3 great years and 3 not so good years. Cahill had 2 among 9. Teheran had a clear velocity drop, as did Allen. Quintana had a freak accident last year, but otherwise has been consistent. As for Cobb?

All I care about is ‘02 Sele. Not Seattle Sele, ‘02 serviceable Sele. The guy who can throw 6 innings and give up 3-4 runs when you need it. Gives the offense a chance.