• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

After a mound visit following the back-to-back homers. Detmers struck out the final 2 batters of the inning. 16 strikeouts to end his start. 97 pitches and 72 strikes. I could be wrong  (@Dochalo definitely has a better idea watching the entire outing) but despite the home runs he was tagged with, this might have been his most dominant start of the season.

Final line (assuming he is done for the night):

6.0 IP  7 H  1 BB  5 R  1 BB  16 SO  97 pitches (72 strikes)

Edited by rafibomb

12 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

And to think he's doing all of this in what was a pretty aggressive assignment by having him start out in Double-A. Really impressive

Was just working on this very basic comparison for fun.

These were the collegiate pitchers taken in the top 10 of the 2020 draft:

3rd overall - Max Meyer (age 22)/Level: Double-A

43.0 IP  2.09 ERA  1.21 WHIP  44 SO

4th overall - Asa Lacy (age 22)/Level: High-A

31.0 IP  5.81 ERA  1.65 WHIP  49 SO

6th overall - Emerson Hancock (age 22)/Level: High-A

26.0 IP  2.42 ERA  1.04 WHIP  25 SO

10th overall - Reid Detmers (age 21)/Level: Double-A

41.0 IP  3.95 ERA  1.24 WHIP  76 SO

Pretty crazy how Detmers is performing this well at the Double-A level at his age straight out of college. You can also make the argument that he has performed the best of the group as well.

Edited by rafibomb

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

After a mound visit following the back-to-back homers. Detmers struck out the final 2 batters of the inning. 16 strikeouts to end his start. 97 pitches and 72 strikes. I could be wrong  (@Dochalo definitely has a better idea watching the entire outing) but despite the home runs he was tagged with, this might have been his most dominant start of the season.

Final line (assuming he is done for the night):

6.0 IP  7 H  1 BB  5 R  1 BB  16 SO  97 pitches (72 strikes)

So I figured they would take him out after the walk in the 6th because he looked done but it was kinda interesting to see them let him gut it out and then he found his form again.  

a few notes from watching today

- not sure why i didn't notice it before but he's deceptive as hell.   No one knew what was coming or had any recognition of a pitch with time to adjust.  The 3 hrs he gave up were complete and total guesses.  If those three pitches were located better they wouldn't have been hrs.  His pitches are so hard to recognize that he got away with pretty mediocre location all game.  I think that's been true for him all year.  

- he took about five seconds between each pitch to accept whatever fingers were put down and throw it somewhere around the plate.  It's almost like he didn't even care.  Just rared back and threw one of his four pitches which all got swings and misses.   

- I think he struck out 7 of the 9 batters in the first three innings on 4 pitches or less per batter and almost no one could even foul off more than one pitch

- he almost threw too many strikes.  Since they knew it was always gonna be somewhere around the zone with less than two strikes, it made it easier for them to guess.  

- he actually hung several curves that they weren't expecting so he got away with them but that's the pitch he got hurt on the most.  The other hits were weak and on pitches where guys were fooled and made weak contact.  

- it was kinda funny but he seemed annoyed the whole time like guys were in his way.  He'd snap at the ball if someone took a good pitch or fouled one off.  

- he threw the change very little and I wish he'd have done so more often because I don't think anyone made contact.  

- the slider is weird.  It doesn't break much.  And he throws it pretty hard.  It's almost like a cutter to some degree but it does have some vertical depth.  Just enough to slide under a bat.  

-he rarely threw his off speed stuff out of the zone.  He might need to learn how to do that better.  Fastball on the other hand got a ton of swing and miss up in the zone.  There's not a ton of movement on it but, again, it's deceptive.  

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

-he rarely threw his off speed stuff out of the zone.  He might need to learn how to do that better.  Fastball on the other hand got a ton of swing and miss up in the zone.  There's not a ton of movement on it but, again, it's deceptive.  

So now that you brought up a few of those points I feel like I noticed a lot of what you said. Obviously this has just been from gameday so I dont know how much of it is intentional but I don’t think curve is a pitch he likes to get hitters to chase at. He really likes to use it as a pitch to freeze a hitter for a strike. Also about the slider is it a pitch you think he can get hitters to chase below the zone or is there not enough movement? I almost feel like from what I’ve seen from him, his changeup can easily be that pitch that dives low and away from a right handed hitter and can get them to chase regularly.

Edited by rafibomb

37 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Was just working on this very basic comparison for fun.

These were the collegiate pitchers taken in the top 10 of the 2020 draft:

3rd overall - Max Meyer (age 22)/Level: Double-A

43.0 IP  2.09 ERA  1.21 WHIP  44 SO

4th overall - Asa Lacy (age 22)/Level: High-A

31.0 IP  5.81 ERA  1.65 WHIP  49 SO

6th overall - Emerson Hancock (age 22)/Level: High-A

26.0 IP  2.42 ERA  1.04 WHIP  25 SO

10th overall - Reid Detmers (age 21)/Level: Double-A

41.0 IP  3.95 ERA  1.24 WHIP  76 SO

Pretty crazy how Detmers is performing this well at the Double-A level at his age straight out of college. You can also make the argument that he has performed the best of the group as well.

Not much more he can do at AA. Bring him up after July 31