• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

So now that you brought up a few of those points I feel like I noticed a lot of what you said. Obviously this has just been from gameday so I dont know how much of it is intentional but I don’t think curve is a pitch he likes to get hitters to chase at. He really likes to use it as a pitch to freeze a hitter for a strike. Also about the slider is it a pitch you think he can get hitters to chase below the zone or is there not enough movement? I almost feel like from what I’ve seen from him, his changeup can easily be that pitch that dives low and away from a right handed hitter and can get them to chase regularly.

it's almost like he just wouldn't be able to use the curve for anything but a strike because of where he releases it and where it starts relative to where it finishes.  It could be a bit of a chase pitch for lefties of it ended up out off the outside.  

I'm maybe gonna take back a little of what I said about the slider.  Watching live I didn't appreciate it but after watching the highlights again, it was breaking more than I realized and really had guys off balance because they are so worried about the high fastball.  

I saw the change a few times today.  Was hoping for more of it but when you're k'ing everyone on other stuff then why change what you're doing.  I wanna say that when he lost his control for a bit he was actually trying to throw more of it and it might be what kinda messed him up.  So when he got the mound visit I think it was to tell him to stop throwing it.  It has really good arm actually but it didn't drop much.  I think it was the third or fourth where he had a couple sequences in which he threw it back to back to a couple guys and it dipped just enough where guys swung over it all four times he threw it.  

the thing that I find so impressive is how many guys just can't pick up and lay off that high fastball.  we've seen it in pretty much every one of his starts now where most of his k's are coming on that FB up.  

one final thing.  he doesn't locate horizontally as well from what I can see.  He seems to be able to put any pitch where he wants it from top to bottom.  But there were many times where the catcher set up in and the ball ended up on the outer part.  

1 hour ago, failos said:

But what’s his FIP

it was about 3.1 before today and I've got him at about 3.4 after.  his xFIP before the game was 2.61 and that actually probably went down because it assumes an avg number of hrs.  

will be interesting to see if he stays a bit hr prone at times because of his propensity to throw a ton of strikes.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm maybe gonna take back a little of what I said about the slider.  Watching live I didn't appreciate it but after watching the highlights again, it was breaking more than I realized and really had guys off balance because they are so worried about the high fastball.  

the thing that I find so impressive is how many guys just can't pick up and lay off that high fastball.  we've seen it in pretty much every one of his starts now where most of his k's are coming on that FB up.  

His slider looked a bit like a forkball, hard, no hump in it, little horizontal movement, with a nice late vertical break, and didn't seem like the batters were picking up the rotation.  (tbf, though, the clips I was looking at had a pretty poor quality, so it's just an impression.)  But I'd read his slider was a poor-quality pitch, and he never threw it - something new?  Did I hear he spent some time at Driveline?  

Again, just my impression, but "can't pick up and lay off that high fastball" - that tracks, it really did look like the batters were making late and bad swings, often at pitches out of the zone.  

Thanks for the update - after yesterday's game, nice to think about something positive.  

13 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Detmers may force the issue, re: being called up. If he continues like this, improving start to start, he's going to be in Anaheim sometime in the second half.

Just has to clean up some the HRs allowed.  Eight is a bit for 41 innings, unless you’re Blyleven giving up mostly solo shots.

38 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

His slider looked a bit like a forkball, hard, no hump in it, little horizontal movement, with a nice late vertical break, and didn't seem like the batters were picking up the rotation.  (tbf, though, the clips I was looking at had a pretty poor quality, so it's just an impression.)  But I'd read his slider was a poor-quality pitch, and he never threw it - something new?  Did I hear he spent some time at Driveline?  

Again, just my impression, but "can't pick up and lay off that high fastball" - that tracks, it really did look like the batters were making late and bad swings, often at pitches out of the zone.  

Thanks for the update - after yesterday's game, nice to think about something positive.  

that's a great description of that slider.  I think it's different than the one he had prior to being in pro ball.  It's an out pitch now and he's been showing us why for the last several starts.  

He's gonna have to locate that fastball in the zone a bit better on a go forward but he's got time.  Haven't heard about him specifically doing driveline.  

On 6/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, mmc said:

Is there any way to watch Salt Lake/Rocket City games?  Or any of the levels lower?

if you buy milb.tv, yes.

They have all the AAA and AA games. They rarely have the High-A games. They have around half of the Low-A games.

Andrew Wantz is quietly having a career year in Triple-A Salt Lake of all places:

21.2 IP  2.49 ERA  1.11 WHIP  20 SO  6 BB  1 HR allowed (!!!)

He bounces from starter to reliever so he has the ability to go multiple innings. He sits in the low 90's but I'm guessing can sit in the mid 90's in shorter inning spurts in the pen?

Also his slider is pretty nasty

I wonder if a call-up is possible in the near future (he is not currently on the 40-man roster)

Edited by rafibomb

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Andrew Wantz is quietly having a career year in Triple-A Salt Lake of all places:

21.2 IP  2.49 ERA  1.11 WHIP  20 SO  6 BB  1 HR allowed (!!!)

He bounces from starter to reliever so he has the ability to go multiple innings. He sits in the low 90's but I'm guessing can sit in the mid 90's in shorter inning spurts in the pen?

Also his slider is pretty nasty

I wonder if a call-up is possible in the near future (he is not currently on the 40-man roster)

Feel there’s a good chance we see Wantz and maybe Warren and Higgins if we sell any relievers off.

Edited by totdprods

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Feel there’s a good chance we see Wantz and maybe Warren and Higgins if we sell any relievers off.

Yeah after that poll I posted about Iglesias I got curious to see if there are any relievers that can help in the near future. I think Connor Higgins might have the most upside of those 3 and the walks have improved (though still a little on the higher side). I also really wish Gerardo Reyes hadn't gotten injured in the spring. 

Edited by rafibomb

59 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

With the desperate need for actual outfielders, the injury and delayed absence of Brandon Marsh really stings.

Where the fuck is he?! Marsh is, by far, the most disappointing prospect this year for me. I was hoping he'd be in the majors by now and he's only played a few games.

Second most disappointing is probably Jordyn Adams, for similar reasons (although I was hoping he'd be tearing up A+ and on the verge of a AA call-up).

Coleman Crow finally made his pro debut, now featuring a slider he did not previously throw and it looked pretty freaking good -- he's someone to watch moving forward.   Coleman was taken in the 28th round in 2019 so, some may see that as a sign he's a scrub but he got the 6th biggest signing bonus that year among Angels draftees -- apparently, he's someone the previous front office thought highly of.

If you're looking for a potential "surprise" prospect -- Crow may be that guy.  

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Coleman Crow finally made his pro debut, now featuring a slider he did not previously throw and it looked pretty freaking good -- he's someone to watch moving forward.   Coleman was taken in the 28th round in 2019 so, some may see that as a sign he's a scrub but he got 6th biggest signing bonus that year among Angels draftees -- apparently, he's someone the previous front office thought highly of.

Has he got Closer potential? I'm just wondering if we have another potential K-Rod down on the farm somewhere.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Coleman Crow finally made his pro debut, now featuring a slider he did not previously throw and it looked pretty freaking good -- he's someone to watch moving forward.   Coleman was taken in the 28th round in 2019 so, some may see that as a sign he's a scrub but he got 6th biggest signing bonus that year among Angels draftees -- apparently, he's someone the previous front office thought highly of.

I saw him yesterday.  He looks like he's 12.  If he's 6' then I'm 6'4".  Uniform fit him like the suit fit the kid at the end of the movie big.  

4 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Has he got Closer potential? I'm just wondering if we have another potential K-Rod down on the farm somewhere.

Way way too early for that sort of projection but the slider/FB mix looked really good yesterday.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I saw him yesterday.  He looks like he's 12.  If he's 6' then I'm 6'4".  Uniform fit him like the suit fit the kid at the end of the movie big.  

Lol, yeah I had similar thoughts but you have to admit that slider has promise.