• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Among all the great pitching performances in our system this year, Yan has been a huge disappointment. I don't know if a conversion to the bullpen is needed or if he just needs to get his head out of his ass and throw more strikes.

Sandy Koufax was very wild when he was young so was Randy Johnson. Just takes time. He is in future game this year. Then you have guys like Sean Newcomb who is back in minors.

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Why would need to do that? Tampa and Oakland do not have plater like that and seem to be doing ok.

I don't know what you mean by "plater" (players?), but...because A) He's a once-a-century talent, and B) He is immensely marketable, more so than even Trout.

Ohtani--assuming he can stay healthy--is one player who is a massive contract.

As for Tampa and Oakland, if they had Ohtani, I'm not sure what they'd do once he hit free agency. Back in the day, the Athletics used to pick and choose which homegrown stars they would keep, but would trade or let most go to free agency, because they couldn't afford to keep them (and/or the owner was stingy). But in the process, they developed very good player scouting and development programs.

6 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Sandy Koufax was very wild when he was young so was Randy Johnson. Just takes time. He is in future game this year. Then you have guys like Sean Newcomb who is back in minors.

Hector Yan has as much talent and Sandy Koufax's pinky finger and Randy Johnson's big toe. Doesn't mean Yan won't figure it out, but Koufax/Johnson comps are basically meaningless.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't know what you mean by "plater" (players?), but...because A) He's a once-a-century talent, and B) He is immensely marketable, more so than even Trout.

Ohtani--assuming he can stay healthy--is one player who is a massive contract.

As for Tampa and Oakland, if they had Ohtani, I'm not sure what they'd do once he hit free agency. Back in the day, the Athletics used to pick and choose which homegrown stars they would keep, but would trade or let most go to free agency, because they couldn't afford to keep them (and/or the owner was stingy). But in the process, they developed very good player scouting and development programs.

Ohtani will get paid I was talking about adding another 100 mill on a pitcher. Save the money for Ohtani as he is top of rotation starter and top hitter 2 elite players in one. I have also come off trading Trout as Ohtani will need protection in lineup. But last 3 to 4 years of Trout's contract could end up bad. Rendon owned 38 mill for next 5 years after this season. I feel halos have begun to develop young pitching and hopefully will continue. 

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

Chris Rodriguez's final line:

2.2 IP  2 H  0 R  0 BB  3 SO  43 pitches (30 strikes)

Rodriguez's last outing he threw 28 pitches (16 strikes)

Aaron Hernandez is in piggy-backing off his start

The general plan for building up a pitch count is typically by 15 pitch increments.  If it were extended spring training or bullpen sessions, it would've been 30 pitches and then 45. They would end innings early or at bats early to get that exact pitch count.  

Since he's ramping up on the fly in AA (not an easy thing to do, and yet he's doing it in his very first exposure to that level) you can simply round up, 28 pitches and 43. 

His next time out, should be around 60. If you figure he pitches once a week, he'll be at 90 pitches the third week of July, and at that point, they'll likely see him maintain that kind of workload for a few starts before inserting him into the rotation. 

I figure, he's ready beyond the shadow of doubt in the first week of August, if everything goes off without a hitch, meaning he performs well and recovers properly.  Roundabout, he'll be ready at the trade deadline.  

Personally, I don't think that's a coincidence, but as I said before, people can make of it what they will. 

I think we can expect to see Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria and Suarez all get some starts at the big league level in August and  September.  They will limit total innings pitched so I wouldn't expect 7 innings every fifth day, but they'll see enough for the Angels to get an accurate read on where they will pitch next year. 

And to facilitate that, it'll likely mean they will part ways with every SP headed for FA. Bundy, Heaney and Cobb. And if they're going to deal them, it wouldn't be much use holding onto Iglesias or any other bullpen member with trade value. 

So I'm thinking we'll see a few RP in AA and AAA get a look too. 

Edited by Second Base

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

The general plan for building up a pitch count is typically by 15 pitch increments.  If it were extended spring training or bullpen sessions, it would've been 30 pitches and then 45. They would end innings early or at bats early to get that exact pitch count.  

Since he's ramping up on the fly in AA (not an easy thing to do, and yet he's doing it in his very first exposure to that level) you can simply round up, 28 pitches and 43. 

His next time out, should be around 60. If you figure he pitches once a week, he'll be at 90 pitches the third week of July, and at that point, they'll likely see him maintain that kind of workload for a few starts before inserting him into the rotation. 

I figure, he's ready beyond the shadow of doubt in the first week of August, if everything goes off without a hitch, meaning he performs well and recovers properly.  Roundabout, he'll be ready at the trade deadline.  

Personally, I don't think that's a coincidence, but as I said before, people can make of it what they will. 

I think we can expect to see Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria and Suarez all get some starts at the big league level in August and  September.  They will limit total innings pitched so I wouldn't expect 7 innings every fifth day, but they'll see enough for the Angels to get an accurate read on where they will pitch next year. 

And to facilitate that, it'll likely mean they will part ways with every SP headed for FA. Bundy, Heaney and Cobb. And if they're going to deal them, it wouldn't be much use holding onto Iglesias or any other bullpen member with trade value. 

Ohtani, Canning, Detmer, CRod, Suarez, Barria and Sandovol

That is a very inexpensive starting pitching rotation.  A lot of money can be used to sign a lockdown bullpen and possibly extend Ohtani.

6 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Because we need a number 2, and we have a bunch of guys in the system, but there is no guarantee that they'll turn into a 2 right out of the gate 

No you don't quit throwing money at players. Whose number 2 on Oakland or Tampa or this year Giants.

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

Maybe some hope with young pitching staff for 2022. Trade for some veteran starter and money for bullpen. I could see Minasian signing Iglesias to an extension. 3 years for 36 mill.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maybe some hope with young pitching staff for 2022. Trade for some veteran starter and money for bullpen. I could see Minasian signing Iglesias to an extension. 3 years for 36 mill.

We have cheap inexpensive starters within our system that has pitched significantly better than the "vets" we have brought in the few years.  

Maybe we should use the money to lockdown our bullpen and quit wasting money on veteran starters that can no longer pitch.

You have to go and get a front of the rotation arm this free agency. We can't miss, all the peiece are in place and now, it's time to fill the last few spots out. 

Next draft another pitcher, a college pitcher in this year draft. Gives us both depth and options

In sept. bring up as much of pitching talent up for both the Bullpen and starting rotation. 

Okay I have a discussion point:

Among our starting pitchers in the upper minors (Double-A and Triple-A) not named Detmers, Rodriguez, Daniel and maybe Hernandez, who has the highest chance to end up being a middle-of-the-rotation starter? From that list I guess you can narrow it down to choosing between Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Packy Naughton and maybe Andrew Wantz. It could be a little tough as it's hard to find an up-to-date scouting report on these guys and lack of footage. But regardless, what say you guys?

14 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Okay I have a discussion point:

Among our starting pitchers in the upper minors (Double-A and Triple-A) not named Detmers, Rodriguez, Daniel and maybe Hernandez, who has the highest chance to end up being a middle-of-the-rotation starter? From that list I guess you can narrow it down to choosing between Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Packy Naughton and maybe Andrew Wantz. It could be a little tough as it's hard to find an up-to-date scouting report on these guys and lack of footage. But regardless, what say you guys?

Jaime Barria!

Andrew Wantz probably has the ‘stuff’ to land as a mid-rotation starter more than the others…but also the likeliest to be a good reliever of those. Packy is Dillon Peters/Parker Bridwell/Matt Palmer 2.0…he might surprise with a mid-rotation year of production but is more likely a useful AAA up and down spot starter. Denny Brady fits that mold too. Jhonathan Diaz has a shot at it too…he has a good track record of starting in the minors and has the repertoire, but I’d guess he tops out around a Hector Santiago type in a best case. 

Not quite convinced Tyler or Criswell will translate to MLB success yet, at least to the tune of a mid-rotation guy. Tyler feels more like a future relief conversion as well. Criswell probably slots similarly to Naughton, but if he can keep ticking velocity and spin up, he may sneak into that. 

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Jaime Barria!

Andrew Wantz probably has the ‘stuff’ to land as a mid-rotation starter more than the others…but also the likeliest to be a good reliever of those. Packy is Dillon Peters/Parker Bridwell/Matt Palmer 2.0…he might surprise with a mid-rotation year of production but is more likely a useful AAA up and down spot starter. Denny Brady fits that mold too. Jhonathan Diaz has a shot at it too…he has a good track record of starting in the minors and has the repertoire, but I’d guess he tops out around a Hector Santiago type in a best case. 

Not quite convinced Tyler or Criswell will translate to MLB success yet, at least to the tune of a mid-rotation guy. Tyler feels more like a future relief conversion as well. Criswell probably slots similarly to Naughton, but if he can keep ticking velocity and spin up, he may sneak into that. 

I guess I should have said from those without major league experience *cough* Barria. You're right I completely overlooked guys like Diaz and Brady. From what I saw from Brady in spring he could have the best stuff among those lower ceiling names in Double-A. I was hoping for a breakout year from him heading into the season