• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

48 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Okay I have a discussion point:

Among our starting pitchers in the upper minors (Double-A and Triple-A) not named Detmers, Rodriguez, Daniel and maybe Hernandez, who has the highest chance to end up being a middle-of-the-rotation starter? From that list I guess you can narrow it down to choosing between Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Packy Naughton and maybe Andrew Wantz. It could be a little tough as it's hard to find an up-to-date scouting report on these guys and lack of footage. But regardless, what say you guys?

Short answer: none of them. I think Detmers, Rodriguez, and Daniel should all end up as mid-rotation starters, at least. But the rest are probably either #5s or up-and-down and/or swingmen relievers. Still, not a bad thing to have a quantity of those, with the hope that one or two of them could end up being a surprise #4 and/or good reliever.

But, yeah: Barria would be next. I think he can be a solid #4, if given a chance. Then probably Hernandez. 

39 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Among our starting pitchers in the upper minors (Double-A and Triple-A) not named Detmers, Rodriguez, Daniel and maybe Hernandez, who has the highest chance to end up being a middle-of-the-rotation starter? From that list I guess you can narrow it down to choosing between Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Packy Naughton and maybe Andrew Wantz. It could be a little tough as it's hard to find an up-to-date scouting report on these guys and lack of footage. But regardless, what say you guys?

Personally outside of the 3 you mentioned, I see the rest having sucess in the Bullpen. 

Wantz, i beleive he has the stuff to be a lock down late inning guy. As a starter he is in the low to mid 90s, a nasty slide and a change, a move to the Bp could imply more velo and he can use the sldier as an out pitch. 

If everything works out, a mid 90s fastball, nasty slider and good command= solid late inning releiver

Tyler and Brady, i'm going to put in the same cup. i think they'll be Bp arms. We saw brady in spring working in that type of role. 

Cooper, his strength will be his command/control. He fits in as a spot starter/ong-releiver. 

Packy, he's wierd for me. I see him as a long-releiver, but I would like to see him used in 1 inning roles to determine if he can be come the next Scott Downs, or even Watson. 

Hernandez, i also think his stuff plays better in the Bp and he has that Closer type of upside.  

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Barria has pitched liked a middle rotation starter 2 of 3 seasons he has been in the MLB roster.

Edited by stormngt

Speaking of

After the start his ERA is down to 4.65 which is pretty solid for the PCL. Before the start his FIP was 4.17. I think what is most encouraging for Naughton's season is his strikeouts. He has a K/9 of 11.8 on the season (31.0 IP) and his previous high dates back to his 2017 season in Rookie Ball where it was 9.45.

37 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Speaking of

After the start his ERA is down to 4.65 which is pretty solid for the PCL. Before the start his FIP was 4.17. I think what is most encouraging for Naughton's season is his strikeouts. He has a K/9 of 11.8 on the season (31.0 IP) and his previous high dates back to his 2017 season in Rookie Ball where it was 9.45.

The league average ERA is like 5.40 last I looked…he’s definitely performing good for the league.

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

gonna go with Kyle Tyler.  read somewhere (I think fangraphs) that he's in the 92-95 range with the FB now.  Apparently has a really good slider and a developing change.  Performed fairly well in 2019 and doing so again this year.  Seems to out pitch his peripherals a bit as well.  He pitching tomorrow for RCT btw.  

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

gonna go with Kyle Tyler.  read somewhere (I think fangraphs) that he's in the 92-95 range with the FB now.  Apparently has a really good slider and a developing change.  Performed fairly well in 2019 and doing so again this year.  Seems to out pitch his peripherals a bit as well.  He pitching tomorrow for RCT btw.  

Kyle Tyler is the only pitcher that I have yet to seen game highlights for. Not sure if it's because the starts he does have there is no video broadcast. He was slated to start today before the rainout. I want to say tomorrow's double header will have Kyle Tyler start game 1 and Reid Detmers game 2. That'll hopefully be fun.

Edit: You were also correct about Tyler on Fangraphs

"Tyler and Brady both sit about 92-95 with carry; that’s a big spike for Tyler, who was 89-92 in 2019."

Edited by rafibomb

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

Arol Vera with another multi-hit game with 2 runs scored. He is 8-13 in his first 3 games.

Also Edgar Quero (who DH'd today) went 2-4 with a homer. Switch-hitting catcher who has the chance to be the first legit catching prospect the system has seen in a while.

that five years is gonna fly right by.  

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that five years is gonna fly right by.  

My bold prediction is that Vera will be in the Major Leagues in 3 years the latest.

2021 - Rookie/Low-A

2022 - Low-A/High-A

2023 - Double-A/Triple-A/late season call-up

I don't know much really I just really want one of those shiny new international stars like Acuna, Vladdy and Tatis to be honest and I'm holding onto hope that it's one of these guys we have in the ACL right now..

Edited by rafibomb

5 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

My bold prediction is that Vera will be in the Major Leagues in 3 years the latest.

2021 - Rookie/Low-A

2022 - Low-A/High-A

2023 - Double-A/Triple-A/late season call-up

I don't know much really I just really want one of those shiny new international stars like Acuna, Vladdy and Tatis to be honest and I'm holding onto hope that it's one of these guys we have in the ACL right now..

oh no!  you said ACL.  

48 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

oh no!  you said ACL.  

Did I say ACL? Shit, I meant MCL.

45 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

BTW, I was more referring to Quero.  

All I want from Vera is that he's Lindor pre big contract.  Is that too much to ask? 

I really wonder how Vera is looking right now. This was the latest footage of him just a year ago and I want to say he already is looking a lot bigger from his minisucule figure when we signed him. Or maybe everyone just looks buffer in black.

The latest scouting reports are saying he's added even more mass in the past year so that's pretty exciting. 

Edited by rafibomb

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Got a little of that Matt Shoemaker/Justin Anderson career path vibe to him. 

6 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Did I say ACL? Shit, I meant MCL.

I really wonder how Vera is looking right now. This was the latest footage of him just a year ago and I want to say he already is looking a lot bigger from his minisucule figure when we signed him. Or maybe everyone just looks buffer in black.

The latest scouting reports are saying he's added even more mass in the past year so that's pretty exciting. 

looks a long stronger to me and different than those vids of when we signed him being a skinny punk.     

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Got a little of that Matt Shoemaker/Justin Anderson career path vibe to him. 

BTW, in no way am I actually predicting Tyler to end up a #3 starter in the bigs.  I hope he does but I'm really just kinda handicapping the guys in AA/AAA from what I seen with Tyler having the velo spike, a good 2nd pitch, and maybe a developing third pitch.  Plus, he's performed which means he's been lucky over his last 150 innings or he's got some extra in his ability to have guys make weak contact.  Or some intangible.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

BTW, in no way am I actually predicting Tyler to end up a #3 starter in the bigs.  I hope he does but I'm really just kinda handicapping the guys in AA/AAA from what I seen with Tyler having the velo spike, a good 2nd pitch, and maybe a developing third pitch.  Plus, he's performed which means he's been lucky over his last 150 innings or he's got some extra in his ability to have guys make weak contact.  Or some intangible.  

Yeah, what @rafibomb posted is a pretty fun but tricky discussion...it's quite a leap from fringe minor-leaguer to MLB mid-rotation arm. 

Shoemaker sure looked like that until he got clocked...and he, like Tyler, sort of just kept producing (and in a fairly similar manner) in the minors. For all the reasons you mentioned, if anyone of those being discussed was to actually turn into a legit MLB SP, Tyler certainly fits that bill. 

Criswell I see as more of an Aaron Slegers-type. Packy can be as funky and deceptive as he can, but it's tricky to make that in today's velocity-driven game. For that same reason, it fits into a 'different look' bullpen array.

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Why doesn’t Kochanowicz strike out anyone? 

Vera’s swing looks incredibly quick and simple. Great to see. 

Because he's so wild people aren't swinging -- they are waiting to see if he walks them.   

Dude is as raw as it gets, at this point in time people really shouldn't be looking for a lot of production out of him yet, this is basically his turn at rookie ball.  He had never pitched competitively since being drafted.

He's another guy that the team can be patient on given how well some of the pitchers at the higher levels have performed.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Because he's so wild people aren't swinging -- they are waiting to see if he walks them.   

Dude is as raw as it gets, at this point in time people really shouldn't be looking for a lot of production out of him yet, this is basically his turn at rookie ball.  He had never pitched competitively since being drafted.

He's another guy that the team can be patient on given how well some of the pitchers at the higher levels have performed.

How you watched him pitch? I ask, because I'm wondering how his stuff looks. We know his control and command suck, but I'm wondering about if the raw stuff has translated.