• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Again, I think it was ill-conceived, but I understand why they did it - and it wasn't for the major league team, I think, but because they wanted him to play. The upside wasn't the pipe dream that you mention, but that he would hold his own and stick. It misfired, predictably. 

Oh, I understand.  You mentioned that they were caught between a rock and a hard place.  And that's why I wrote what I did about that not being true.   The people that made that choice are tasked with not getting things that wrong. 

And I disagree that it wasn't for the major league club.  I think they might have justified the decision by saying it was because they wanted him to play but they were absolutely trying to catch lightning in a bottle.  

It's why it was dumb to call Suarez up so early or to try Rodriguez in the pen.  Or even the Canning situation to some degree.  As mentioned by @Inside Pitch, it's always about in year results for the major league club.  Sometimes you have to play the long game regardless of whether it makes the short term a little less satisfying.  

It not only about weighing the probability for success but understanding the consequences if make a certain choice vs. the consequences of making no choice at all.  

What was the downside of not doing it?  I think that's an important question.   

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think they might have justified the decision by saying it was because they wanted him to play but they were absolutely trying to catch lightning in a bottle.  

What was the downside of not doing it?  I think that's an important question.   

That looks about right, I think. But who knows - hard to say what goes on behind closed doors.

And yeah, I agree with you re: that question. It isn't so easy to answer, though, as every prospect is different. But I agree that they should have known better with Adell, Suarez. Not sure about Canning - it is a bit of a mystery why he stagnated for his first two seasons and now has taken a step backwards. When I pointed out his stagnation early on, some folks said, "he's only pitched in 200 innings." But I think it is more than that...we want to see some improvement, and in fact he's gone the other direction. Was that because he was called up too soon in 2019? I'm not so sure. 

We also have to consider the fact that not everyone breaksout on there first call up. For some it takes time. Richards it took him a few years before he became an Ace of the staff, I see the same in Canning, it similar issue for both, their lack on control/command in the first few years. Even hitters, like Moncada it took him 4 years to breakout. I think we just have to be patient and let it work and see who take's that next step and who does not. 

It's one of the reason why I would keep Detmers in the minor, he's has struggles at time, so let him work on the struggles in the minor.  

58 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

We also have to consider the fact that not everyone breaksout on there first call up. For some it takes time. Richards it took him a few years before he became an Ace of the staff, I see the same in Canning, it similar issue for both, their lack on control/command in the first few years. Even hitters, like Moncada it took him 4 years to breakout. I think we just have to be patient and let it work and see who take's that next step and who does not. 

It's one of the reason why I would keep Detmers in the minor, he's has struggles at time, so let him work on the struggles in the minor.  

Yes, agreed, although if the Angels sell big, I would expect Detmers to get called up sometime in August, along with C-Rod.

You really couldn't have painted a better picture for the future state of the Angels than what's happened in 2021. 

- Ohtani is healthy, Sandoval made the developmental leap into being a solid rotation piece. Suarez made the leap as well. We don't know what roll yet but we do know he's a major leaguer. Same with Barria. 

- We already know Rodriguez will get major league hitters out, and now we're finding out that he can still be a starting pitcher. 

- Detmers has done everything you could've expected from him this year. 

I think just about the only thing that hasn't gone their way on the mound has been Griffin Canning. And even then, having him get some developmental innings in AAA will only put him in a better place to succeed. 

But can you imagine the financial freedom this will give Minasian? Just plug in Ohtani, Detmers, Rodriguez, Sandoval, Canning and Barria, and suddenly you've got an actual functioning MLB rotation. 

Billy Eppler's plan worked. Just a year too late to save his job. 

60 pitches.  41 strikes.  

a ground ball single to 3b and a stolen base.  
K on four pitches
line drive single
K on five pitches
K on four pitches
Walk
K on four pitches
Pop out
K on five pitches
Pop out
LD single with a CS
Ground out
Ground out
K on four pitches.  

I counted 16 swinging strikes in 4 innings.  

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You really couldn't have painted a better picture for the future state of the Angels than what's happened in 2021. 

- Ohtani is healthy, Sandoval made the developmental leap into being a solid rotation piece. Suarez made the leap as well. We don't know what roll yet but we do know he's a major leaguer. Same with Barria. 

- We already know Rodriguez will get major league hitters out, and now we're finding out that he can still be a starting pitcher. 

- Detmers has done everything you could've expected from him this year. 

I think just about the only thing that hasn't gone their way on the mound has been Griffin Canning. And even then, having him get some developmental innings in AAA will only put him in a better place to succeed. 

But can you imagine the financial freedom this will give Minasian? Just plug in Ohtani, Detmers, Rodriguez, Sandoval, Canning and Barria, and suddenly you've got an actual functioning MLB rotation. 

Billy Eppler's plan worked. Just a year too late to save his job. 

I like how you're gradually coming around to the idea that the Angels already have a complete rotation for next year and don't need three new starters, maybe not even two. As I said before, I'd still like them to--and expect them to--go after one of the top free agent pitchers, but they really don't need two or three (maybe a second swing guy, or a one-year for someone like Bundy or Quintana, both of whom will want to resurrect their careers).

What this means is that, given the stacked lineup with more help on the way from the minors (Thaiss, Marsh, Adell, even Stefanic), the Angels will have a lot of dough to spend on relief. If they spend $18-25M/year on a good starter, whether a Gausman or Scherzer or Stroman, the rest (say, $25-30M) could mostly be spent on the bullpen. Say, $10-12M on a closer (possibly Raisel), and then a few guys for $4-6M a piece.

So I could see next year's Opening Day 25-Man roster looking something like this:

Catchers: Stassi, Thaiss

Infielders: Rendon, Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, Stefanic/Barreto

Outfielders: Trout, Upton, Ward, Marsh/Adell

Rotation: Free Agent, Ohtani, Sandoval, Canning, Detmers, C-Rod

Bullpen: Closer, Free Agent, Free Agent, Free Agent, Quintana/Bundy, Suarez, Barria, Mayers, Wantz

Or something like that. If one of the starters needs more time in the minors, then Suarez or Barria can be slotted in. They can then have guys like Daniel, Tyler, Criswell, Diaz, Hernandez, Naugton, Higgins, Ortega, etc, plus possible trade acquisitions, in the high minors as pitching depth.

They might also package one of Thaiss or Ward in a trade, and sign a defense-oriented catcher, although the free agent market for catchers is slim.

40 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I like how you're gradually coming around to the idea that the Angels already have a complete rotation for next year and don't need three new starters, maybe not even two. As I said before, I'd still like them to--and expect them to--go after one of the top free agent pitchers, but they really don't need two or three (maybe a second swing guy, or a one-year for someone like Bundy or Quintana, both of whom will want to resurrect their careers).

What this means is that, given the stacked lineup with more help on the way from the minors (Thaiss, Marsh, Adell, even Stefanic), the Angels will have a lot of dough to spend on relief. If they spend $18-25M/year on a good starter, whether a Gausman or Scherzer or Stroman, the rest (say, $25-30M) could mostly be spent on the bullpen. Say, $10-12M on a closer (possibly Raisel), and then a few guys for $4-6M a piece.

So I could see next year's Opening Day 25-Man roster looking something like this:

Catchers: Stassi, Thaiss

Infielders: Rendon, Walsh, Fletcher, Rengifo, Stefanic/Barreto

Outfielders: Trout, Upton, Ward, Marsh/Adell

Rotation: Free Agent, Ohtani, Sandoval, Canning, Detmers, C-Rod

Bullpen: Closer, Free Agent, Free Agent, Free Agent, Quintana/Bundy, Suarez, Barria, Mayers, Wantz

Or something like that. If one of the starters needs more time in the minors, then Suarez or Barria can be slotted in. They can then have guys like Daniel, Tyler, Criswell, Diaz, Hernandez, Naugton, Higgins, Ortega, etc, plus possible trade acquisitions, in the high minors as pitching depth.

They might also package one of Thaiss or Ward in a trade, and sign a defense-oriented catcher, although the free agent market for catchers is slim.

Do you remember when the Rockies spent all that money on their bullpen a few years back and it completely backfired? 

Let's hope Minasian is a better judge of talent. Relievers, even big money relievers are so volatile.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jasson Dominguez is batting .125.   That may be enough to see him break into the top 10 prospects in MLB 

He's got a batting average now. Using the well known equation of Yankee hype (prospect ranking + number of hype articles per month, divided by 2, multiplied by the month of the year - July = 7), there isn't much of a case for him to be ranked anywhere except #1. 

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He's got a batting average now. Using the well known equation of Yankee hype (prospect ranking + number of hype articles per month, divided by 2, multiplied by the month of the year - July = 7), there isn't much of a case for him to be ranked anywhere except #1. 

I actually think he's a legit prospect but that hype machine is why I'm flipping him shit.  It's crazy how much press he's seen to say nothing of the Futures Game nomination.  He's got to be the first guy in MLB history to get into a midseason showcase game despite having a career 0.000 batting average.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I actually think he's a legit prospect but that hype machine is why I'm flipping him shit.  It's crazy how much press he's seen to say nothing of the Futures Game nomination.  He's got to be the first guy in MLB history to get into a midseason showcase game despite having a career 0.000 batting average.

I'm not convinced of anything on him yet. My own personally physical fitness journey has taught me a few things, and one of them is specifically spotting "pretty muscle" versus athletic muscle. Basically, the difference between body building and functional fitness.

Because Dominguez is as young and athletic as he is, that build of his makes it seem like his actual functional movements are augmented by his considerable mass. I disagree. I think his build is a carefully constructed appearance made by his handlers as an amateur that takes an exceptional Latin American athlete and makes him seem like he's a once in a generation talent before he's even taken an at bat. 

His build draws comparisons to Trout, except look at Trout when he was 16, playing varsity basketball. The frame was present, which would one day result in him being a unique physical specimen, but the mass wasn't there. He was an athlete. 

Dominguez is already massive, and most baseball players can't carry that much "girth" and still perform at the level they want. I'm not saying he isn't strong or good, I'm saying he shouldn't be that big this young. It's going to be detrimental to his development and I think he's more for looks than production. 

It's ok to look like Trout or Stanton, when you've established that your body functions with that mass at the highest level. For younger guys to look like that, I'm just not convinced it's anything more than liking the image in the mirror.

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm not convinced of anything on him yet. My own personally physical fitness journey has taught me a few things, and one of them is specifically spotting "pretty muscle" versus athletic muscle. Basically, the difference between body building and functional fitness.

Because Dominguez is as young and athletic as he is, that build of his makes it seem like his actual functional movements are augmented by his considerable mass. I disagree. I think his build is a carefully constructed appearance made by his handlers as an amateur that takes an exceptional Latin American athlete and makes him seem like he's a once in a generation talent before he's even taken an at bat. 

His build draws comparisons to Trout, except look at Trout when he was 16, playing varsity basketball. The frame was present, which would one day result in him being a unique physical specimen, but the mass wasn't there. He was an athlete. 

Dominguez is already massive, and most baseball players can't carry that much "girth" and still perform at the level they want. I'm not saying he isn't strong or good, I'm saying he shouldn't be that big this young. It's going to be detrimental to his development and I think he's more for looks than production. 

It's ok to look like Trout or Stanton, when you've established that your body functions with that mass at the highest level. For younger guys to look like that, I'm just not convinced it's anything more than liking the image in the mirror.

Oh I get you.... I see a better version of Prince Fielder physically.  I think he could go Maitan on them pretty quickly, remember what Miguel Sano Looked like at 18/19?   

But, by most accounts he had a Vlad Jr level ability to tell strikes from balls while playing for the buscones in the DR.  Guys like that tend to have decent floors offensively.  But all the hype is way way overdone.