• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

No, because Arte has given him some power.  Simply look at all of the guys that were brought in because they had played with Maddon in the past.  That was by design. 

"Are giving him some power" is speculation.  We really do not know the level of influence.  Not saying it's not true, but it is ultimately the GMs job.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Maddon absolutely influenced whether Rodriguez was on the roster to start the season.  To think otherwise is extremely naive.  

Its not naive it's a fact.  Maddon may have been advocating the move but ultimate responsibility is Minasian. 

My wife has influence with me but ultimately whatever decisions I make are my decisions.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Its not naive it's a fact.  Maddon may have been advocating the move but ultimate responsibility is Minasian. 

My wife has influence with me but ultimately whatever decisions I make are my decisions.

What's a fact?  You're claiming facts now?  And everyone else is speculating?  

And your analogy doesn't make sense.  Minasian or Maddon aren't making personal decisions but on behalf of a team.  It's like you saying that your wife influences the decisions made on behalf of your family but ultimately you're the one who decides and is responsible.  Maybe it works in your house like that but not in all of them. 

And I think Joe had a lot to do with the decision to have CRod on the major league club.  I agree with Strad that he's been empowered by Arte and I believe that roster decisions for the halos are made by both Minasian and Maddon agreeing on what should be done.  You may think otherwise because it's a bit unconventional for a manager to have the level of power I'm assuming but neither of us really know.  

2 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

If the reports of Pujols being benched by the front office are indeed accurate, then that would make a compelling case for Minasian wielding far more power over roster decisions than Maddon. 

Not necessarily.  I’m sure there were discussions between Maddon and Minasian about Albert throughout the season.  I’m sure they had ongoing dialogue.  Then at some point Minasian said it’s time.  It appears that may have happened just after Maddon had told Albert he would be playing the next day.  

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not necessarily.  I’m sure there were discussions between Maddon and Minasian about Albert throughout the season.  I’m sure they had ongoing dialogue.  Then at some point Minasian said it’s time.  It appears that may have happened just after Maddon had told Albert he would be playing the next day.  

All anyone has to do is look at the play of Walsh, Ohtani and Pujols and then it becomes obvious who goes to the bench. I still think it was a good move for the org to do what they did 

It's a pretty regular occurrence that the manager, GM, coaches, scouts and coordinators have meetings.  After almost every game.  Those that say Madden or Minasian may be oversimplifying this.  

Pujols being let go likely was a command decision with key input from so many different sources, including the owner. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

It's a pretty regular occurrence that the manager, GM, coaches, scouts and coordinators have meetings.  After almost every game.  Those that say Madden or Minasian may be oversimplifying this.  

Pujols being let go likely was a command decision with key input from so many different sources, including the owner. 

I think this is all true although I would venture that Maddon has enough influence to pick certain guys.  I think Rojas is actually the best example.  He's not a minasian type of guy based on what he's said in the past with an emphasis on defense yet he's more of the typical Maddon type player that can rotate around at multiple spots.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think this is all true although I would venture that Maddon has enough influence to pick certain guys.  I think Rojas is actually the best example.  He's not a minasian type of guy based on what he's said in the past with an emphasis on defense yet he's more of the typical Maddon type player that can rotate around at multiple spots.  

I do wonder if this could be one main area where Minasian and Maddon may have clashed already.

It’s becoming clear that moving too many players through different positions has hurt the defense too much.

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think we all love that one guy on the field that can do it all.  If you are trying to build a winning team, then that guy that can move from infield to outfield should be a veteran.  Someone that has done it before.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I like it.  Have him getting a feel for the change right away.  I would imagine we'll start seeing him mix in the curve soon as well.  I'm guessing it'll probably be a slower ramp up to anything more than 70 pitches.  I think a realistic goal is that he gets 13-15 appearances over the remaining 70+ games for the RCT.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think we all love that one guy on the field that can do it all.  If you are trying to build a winning team, then that guy that can move from infield to outfield should be a veteran.  Someone that has done it before.  

I'm all for that if they aren't a defensive nightmare at every spot you try to hide them.  My main point is that we all know that Maddon loves those types of guys and someone like Rojas goes against everything that Minasian has said in terms of his emphasis on run prevention.  

43 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I like it.  Have him getting a feel for the change right away.  I would imagine we'll start seeing him mix in the curve soon as well.  I'm guessing it'll probably be a slower ramp up to anything more than 70 pitches.  I think a realistic goal is that he gets 13-15 appearances over the remaining 70+ games for the RCT.

I LOVE they had him throwing the two pitches he hasn't been throwing at all.   I'm wondering if they are doing the old, throw only these two pitches and try to get outs thing -- and if they are we can rest easy that they are making a legit effort at development.

Really all I wanted.

57 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don't really care if the guy is a veteran or a rookie so long as he's capable.  But when you see non-athletes like Rojas attempting to be a 2B one minute then an corner OFer the next, well, that's a reach.   Not unlike Trumbo at 3B.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I think saying Maddon has a greater influence isn't any more accurate than saying Minasian has a greater influence.  To call either one of you correct in your assessment on this one, would be incorrect.  

There's a reason why a GM has AGM's, scouts, coordinators, etc.... Just like there's a reason a manager has like five other coaches in the dugout with him. 

If you want a figurehead, it's Minasian. But reality is, you can split the sphere of influence up with these decisions by like 10 different guys at least. 

Edited by Second Base

43 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I LOVE they had him throwing the two pitches he hasn't been throwing at all.   I'm wondering if they are doing the old, throw only these two pitches and try to get outs thing -- and if they are we can rest easy that they are making a legit effort at development.

Really all I wanted.

Probably get his pitch count up and focus on developing those pitches.  

And you may know the answer to this better than I, I am curious to see if the number of offspeed pitches plays any role in shortening a pitch count.  

Should they, or would they believe that 20 sliders puts a greater stress on the body (mainly the arm, obviously) than 20 fastballs.  

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Probably get his pitch count up and focus on developing those pitches.  

And you may know the answer to this better than I, I am curious to see if the number of offspeed pitches plays any role in shortening a pitch count.  

Should they, or would they believe that 20 sliders puts a greater stress on the body (mainly the arm, obviously) than 20 fastballs.  

I think you're right and they will attempt to limit the number of sliders. 

Do you remember when Frankie was still a starter in the minors?  They were forcing him to use other pitches by limiting how many sliders he could throw per inning.  They knew the slider was a wipe out pitch he could rely on to get out of jams so they forced him to pitch without it.  

I miss that sort of crap.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think you're right and they will attempt to limit the number of sliders. 

Do you remember when Frankie was still a starter in the minors?  They were forcing him to use other pitches by limiting how many sliders he could throw per inning.  They knew the slider was a wipe out pitch he could rely on to get out of jams so they forced him to pitch without it.  

I miss that sort of crap.

I always assumed they coached the same way still. That's likely a dated mindset though. I remember they used to have soft tossers pitch their bullpen sessions from 63 feet.

I do remember Frankie in the minors, but didn't know that tidbit regarding his slider. 

Well who ever decided to put Rodriguez on the Major league roster and than the way they used him, needs to do a better job at assessing the talent we have! 

I still remember ealry in the year, when Maddon mentioned that he see Rodriguez as a BP arm, than towards the end of Spring, he went from that to saying Rodriguez could some day reach the rotation.why? because Maddon didnt know he had 4 plus pitches...like how do you mistake that? 

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

What's a fact?  You're claiming facts now?  And everyone else is speculating?  

And your analogy doesn't make sense.  Minasian or Maddon aren't making personal decisions but on behalf of a team.  It's like you saying that your wife influences the decisions made on behalf of your family but ultimately you're the one who decides and is responsible.  Maybe it works in your house like that but not in all of them. 

And I think Joe had a lot to do with the decision to have CRod on the major league club.  I agree with Strad that he's been empowered by Arte and I believe that roster decisions for the halos are made by both Minasian and Maddon agreeing on what should be done.  You may think otherwise because it's a bit unconventional for a manager to have the level of power I'm assuming but neither of us really know.  

It is not a fact that the General Manager of a franchise makes the personal decisions?  Maybe things are done differently in baseball than basketball.  However, I have always read that it's the same in baseball.

Maybe things are different with the Angel's?  Or in the minds of AW