• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

5 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I've had him comped for fun as a Max Fried or Cole Hamels type if Detmers keeps going the way he has. I think it was @Dochalothat threw Julio Urias out there for fun as well.

I think all three are good comparisons! 

48 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Who’s a good comp for the new and improved Detmers?

Jon Lester is a fair comp with his increase in velo. People forget because it's been a few years, but when Jon Lester still threw hard, he had a nearly decade long run of working toward the front of the rotation.  

He's just such an outstanding overall pitcher that he's still managed to be a backend starter even with diminished stuff.  

The Angels just need to keep drafting Reid Detmers type of pitchers with their top overall picks for the next half decade or so and call it good. 

I like the Lester comp for Detmers - that just intuitively makes sense, although probably represents a best case scenario. What about a non-douchey John Lackey? Or even Chuck Finley? Meaning, a work-horse who oscillates in the #2-3 range.

Glad to hear about CRod. I wonder if that implies that Minasian is planning on trading Cobb and/or Heaney.

WIth the Addition of C-rod into the minors and the plan to start him, we could potentially see several arms to help by late season. 

1. Detemers

2. C-rods

Who We can say are much higher than the rest of the guys. If we're close to making the playsoff,  both guys have a high chance to get called up. Unless C-Rod domiantes as a stater. I see him in the BP later in the year, and the Rotation the following year. I think you have to be extra careful with C-Rod. With detmers he's a staters. give him time to figure out things, but the plan should be to get to the Major by Sept. Personally besides refinging his command/Control and his pitches he does not have much to do in the minor, and he was considered one of the closest mlb pitchers when he was draft. 

Both of these guys are in teir 1, the chance to be solid 2/3s

The next group that we can see; 

3. Davis

4. Tyler 

With Davis I think you have upside of 3 and floor either a late inning arm or spot starter. I woulod not be suprised if he in the Bullpen if we are close. He's 24, close to being ready. Once he gets to AA, the result will determine just where he is.  Tyler I think as a chance to be a solid 4/5 in the Rotation.

Now the rest of the groups, and I think these guys will be Bp arms. 

5. hernandez at this point looks like a Bp arm and a Late_Inning Arm

6. Brady, another guy I think will benefit in the Bullpen, with mid 90s fatsball and good offspeed. 

7. Packy! With his funky Mechanics and solid command, I hope he can turn into a solid Lefty, similar to a Scott Down, Watson..etc. Nothing special but does his job 

7 hours ago, ScottSted said:

is Detmers' curve the K-Rod slider of 02?

no.  no one in the org has that pitch.  That thing was devastating.   Detmers curve is a strike pitch.  It's a really good pitch that'll catch a guy looking.  K-rod's slider was something you just couldn't not swing at because the break was so late.  If all Detmers had was the curve then you're looking at him becoming a rich hill type but that's not the case.  He's got four good pitches.  So he's learning how and when to use them.  Which, incidentally, is what C-Rod needs to do on a go forward.  

Krod's slider was magic.  Like Hoffman's change or other relievers who have that one pitch that's devastating.  Nothing in Detmers repertoire is devastating.  It's just a bunch of really good.  The reason C-rod got put on the mlb roster is that his slider is actually ridiculous.  Maybe not krod ridiculous but silly nonetheless.  But his other stuff is on par so that's why the temptation of having him in the pen outweighed developing him as a starter.