• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Has anyone mentioned Braxton Martinez? He's a 27-year geezer in A ball who is tearing it up. Obviously his age implies he's not very projectable, but it is hard not to root for this type of guy. Evidently he's been bouncing around the independent leagues. He's currently hitting .314/.431/.627 in 33 games. Maybe time for a promotion, give the guy a chance?

been eyeballing him for a bit with little expectation.  I agree that a promo is in order but he's obviously a long odds guy.  

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

sometimes I wonder what some of the people with cred actually see.  Sometimes what guy was or should be clouds what they are and performance takes a back seat to actual production.  

I think prospects get pidgeon-holed and there's a label that gets attached to them. "Back-end starter," "toolsy but raw," etc. I had a friend in high school who complained that regardless of how much effort he put into his school work, he'd always get a B-. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

sometimes I wonder what some of the people with cred actually see.  Sometimes what guy was or should be clouds what they are and performance takes a back seat to actual production.  

Weren't most of the top lists made in the offseason when reports were that Detmers was mostly 90-92 MPH with his FB? Gotta think he'll comfortably be in top 100 lists after this year with the velo bump he's displaying and how well he's performing in what was a pretty aggressive assignment by the Halos(Double-A)

5 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Weren't most of the top lists made in the offseason when reports were that Detmers was mostly 90-92 MPH with his FB? Gotta think he'll comfortably be in top 100 lists after this year with the velo bump he's displaying and how well he's performing in what was a pretty aggressive assignment by the Halos(Double-A)

Some have been updated and guys who are 16 and never played a game moved into the top 100.   Jasson Dominguez who was signed at 16, is now 18 and STILL hasn't played a single game anywhere has actually moved UP on some lists.,

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Some have been updated and guys who are 16 and never played a game moved into the top 100.   Jasson Dominguez who was signed at 16, is now 18 and STILL hasn't played a single game anywhere has actually moved UP on some lists.,

And that's how you know it's a good list. More hype, less substance = more street cred. 

Larger sites have had enough time and are privvy to enough information at this point that they could put Detmers in the top 100 if they wanted to.  Not that it really matters.  

Detmers' slider is already such a nasty pitch and he literally just started throwing it this season after working on it in the alternate camp.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/reid-detmers-works-on-adding-fourth-pitch/

Detmers reported to summer camp intent on improving his slider, a pitch he described as “more of a slurve” that sat 77-80 mph in college. He asked his new teammates what grips worked for them. He sought input from his new coaches.

He began tinkering with different grips in catch sessions and felt something click with a “knuckle-slider” grip that has produced “more of a true slider.” Detmers took the pitch into his bullpen sessions and has been using it in intrasquad games.

“It’s coming out like a fastball with a sharp break at the end, and it’s in the mid 80s now,” Detmers said. “It’s something I’m very proud of. It’s turned into a decent pitch.”

Edited by rafibomb

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think he is in rotation after July 30

That's a hard one. If the Angels were right there with the A's and Astros, there is no doubt in my mind you're right. He's one of the five best pitchers in the organization, regardless of level. 

But if they're still a few games out, the team may deem the difference between eight August and September of Detmers versus someone like Heaney, Cobb or Canning to be relatively inconsequential.  

And if that's the case, they may end up pushing his debut back to 2022 to secure an additional season of control.  And there are also other options that appear to have earned an opportunity.  I wouldn't mess with what Suarez is doing, but his work in the bullpen lends credence to the right of putting him in the rotation. Jaime Barria has earned an opportunity.  Quite frankly, he earned the right to be a SP in this rotation two or three years ago.  The Angels have jerked him around. 

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

Detmers' slider is already such a nasty pitch and he literally just started throwing it this season after working on it in the alternate camp.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/reid-detmers-works-on-adding-fourth-pitch/

Detmers reported to summer camp intent on improving his slider, a pitch he described as “more of a slurve” that sat 77-80 mph in college. He asked his new teammates what grips worked for them. He sought input from his new coaches.

He began tinkering with different grips in catch sessions and felt something click with a “knuckle-slider” grip that has produced “more of a true slider.” Detmers took the pitch into his bullpen sessions and has been using it in intrasquad games.

“It’s coming out like a fastball with a sharp break at the end, and it’s in the mid 80s now,” Detmers said. “It’s something I’m very proud of. It’s turned into a decent pitch.”

He actually has a good change too that was even more highly regarded coming out of college.   And we haven't even really seen it.  

Here's a thought.  Detmers is throwing mid 90's with a nasty slider and already has 35 innings in AA.  Why not convert him to relief for the rest of the season so he can help the big club?  Chuck Finley did it.  He can get his feet wet in the pen and eventually work his way into being a starter.  

For anyone that didn't pick it up, that was sarcasm.  

And more on Detmers.  They've had more to go on in the last couple months than guy moving up ahead of him.  

I would trust a top 100 from AW as much as one from most of the national publications.  That's a bold statement and I'm sticking with it.  

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

That's a hard one. If the Angels were right there with the A's and Astros, there is no doubt in my mind you're right. He's one of the five best pitchers in the organization, regardless of level. 

But if they're still a few games out, the team may deem the difference between eight August and September of Detmers versus someone like Heaney, Cobb or Canning to be relatively inconsequential.  

And if that's the case, they may end up pushing his debut back to 2022 to secure an additional season of control.  And there are also other options that appear to have earned an opportunity.  I wouldn't mess with what Suarez is doing, but his work in the bullpen lends credence to the right of putting him in the rotation. Jaime Barria has earned an opportunity.  Quite frankly, he earned the right to be a SP in this rotation two or three years ago.  The Angels have jerked him around. 

The contract between players and union is up this off season. I would like to get Detmers a few starts before 22. That is if halos trade off Heaney, Cobb, Bundy and Quintana.

17 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

The contract between players and union is up this off season. I would like to get Detmers a few starts before 22. That is if halos trade off Heaney, Cobb, Bundy and Quintana.

Sure the CBA expires after the season but we don’t know if that means they’ll have more club control or less club control and if I had to guess it would be less club control. So why would we start his clock. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Sure the CBA expires after the season but we don’t know if that means they’ll have more club control or less club control and if I had to guess it would be less club control. So why would we start his clock. 

Get him some experience see if he is option for 22. Same with Barria and Suarez put them in rotation. Finish this year with Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, Barria, Suarez and Detmers. Like halos did with Fletcher you sign young players to extensions. 

16 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Get him some experience see if he is option for 22. Same with Barria and Suarez put them in rotation. Finish this year with Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, Barria, Suarez and Detmers. Like halos did with Fletcher you sign young players to extensions. 

They were able to sign Fletcher to a contract like that because he isn’t young. 

Detmer's is still tinkering with his game and adding, refining pitches.  The last thing you'd do to a kid like that is throw him into the majors. 

We have other young arms (Barria, Sandoval, Saurez, Packy, etc.) that have earned some starts as needed.  Just let Detmer continue to build his repertoire and gain professional innings in the minors.  He can be brought up the last month of the season for start or two if all goes well.     

The next three series are pretty big - playing San Fran, Tampa, and NYY. Easily the hardest stretch in our Trout-less part of the year. We beat up on the bad teams, now we need to see how Bundy, Cobb, Heaney, and the pen hold up against the better teams. If we get beat bad, probably time to start planning for 2022. Worst case scenario is we lose with the kids...who knows, maybe a post-sell off Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, Rengifo, etc. bring us back into WC contention.

It'd be simplistic to base our deadline plans off the next two weeks, but this is a big test. If those guys perform well and hold their own, we stand to be a team that should be in the mix and playing better as the year goes on. 

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

They were able to sign Fletcher to a contract like that because he isn’t young. 

They can do same with any player any age, With Fletch bought up some arbitration years and so he will not be FA for 5 years. Player get's security and club gets them hopefully at cheaper price. Lower risk for both. 

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

They can do same with any player any age, With Fletch bought up some arbitration years and so he will not be FA for 5 years. Player get's security and club gets them hopefully at cheaper price. Lower risk for both. 

No, they really can't.  Not at an actual bargain.  The next guy they will do this with is Walsh and it will be another surprisingly low dollar amount for several years.  But you aren't doing this to a 23 year old because they won't accept a low dollar amount because they have options at a younger age.