• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the Angels wouldn't waste their time unless they had true interest.  

I don't think he's referring to what the Angels are doing, he's referring to the media/agents/"sources" pushing the Angels still interested narrative.

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

I don't think he's referring to what the Angels are doing, he's referring to the media/agents/"sources" pushing the Angels still interested narrative.

A key consideration - what contending teams are looking to spend significant $$ on a catcher in this market?  Obviously the Mets are one, but who else beyond them?  The Phillies are reportedly having significant financial issues and are unlikely to spend much on a catcher.  The Rays need a catcher but they certainly aren't going to spend on Realmuto/McCann.

Whichever of Realmuto/McCann doesn't sign with the Mets might be looking at a tough market.

Duquette is a former Mets guy. Probably just parroting what he's hearing from NY. Minasian already said he values the catcher position very highly. Wouldn't be at all a surprise if they're serious about McCann since Realmuto is out of their price range. Besides, how much, realistically, will the Angels up the price? 4-5m tops? Hoop-de-do. Hate to tell you but that isn't going to push Cohen off of Bauer. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think we can all agree that Arte can't be outbid by anyone for this reason:

If you wanna play with the big boys then you can't be afraid to compete with the big boys. 

Partial truth. He's certainly willing to spend. The difference is how he values players and that's a direct reflection of the GM. Eppler had pretty firm limits on the dollar value of pitching and never advised Moreno to exceed it, which had benefits and consequences. Benefits being, it kept payroll within limits and helped preserve draft picks for building the farm. Consequences in that it left the major league team short on quality pitching year after year after year. 

We all like to pretend Bauer is an ace but he's going to be 30 and how many seasons in his career has he actually pitched like an ace? Two? 

There has to be a balance and some luck involved. You have to be willing to spend, but stay within the confines of sanity and find a pitcher that wants to sign with the Angels and is the quality arm they need. It's a confluence of factors and it hasn't happened very often for the Angels. CJ Wilson might have been the last.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Yes, he's stating the obvious, but "determined to add top of rotation starter" speaks louder than "pitching help".

I wonder if we see a bit of a different route than the Angels took last year with Cole. Obviously Cole took more money but he also said the Yankees were in a better place to win. 

Do we maybe see the Angels trade for Gray, Snell or someone else to show Bauer that he's the last piece they need? 

I'm sure we can all agree Bauer doesn't suddenly give us the best rotation in baseball. Bullpen is better, offense is fine, maybe Minasian just needs to tell Bauer "hey, we just traded for *insert name here*, you're the last piece we need and Arte will give you a check".