• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That's 35 million.

I'd say there's definitely a chance of that happening.

I suppose so, but I sorta doubt it, as I think we still have some moves to make in terms of the bullpen and probably a corner OF.

I think if we sign McCann, we are likely pursuing a trade of a SP - someone like Darvish, Hendriks, Snell, etc, who will be cheaper than Bauer.

39 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

LOL he doesn't have a history with injuries and is currently in his prime. I would give it to you if you said you don't like it due to a small sample size but you just flat out said he's past his prime when he was on his way to surpass his career year in 2019. So yeah, congrats on just complaining for the sake of complaining I guess

Oh I thought we were talking about Brian McCann. Either way, simmer down. 

Edited by failos

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

We don't, you're right, but I'd be rather surprised if he spends 50mil + this offseason.  I'd be very stoked if he does, but I just sorta doubt it.

Now that he’s settled the stadium situation maybe he feels it’s time to push the envelope. Maybe he doesn’t. 

Just now, Lou said:

lol @ "since '19"

you mean for the last 60 games? 

Compare 2018 and back to 2019. His offensive numbers took a huge jump forward in 2019 (118 games) and continued into 31 games in 2020. Apparently his pitch framing improved a lot also. Coincidentally, he also left the Tigers after 2018 and joined the White Sox - I dunno if that's related or not. 

31 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I have an idea.

How about we don't spend money on McCann, and instead utilize those funds towards the pitching staff?

I'm high on Perry right now.  But if he spends anywhere close to $8/yr at catcher (especially McCann) i'll have to start considering if/when that turn starts.

If we sign McCann, what's the under/under on how long until we get a thread about giving him some starts at 1B?  Literally the last thing we need is another guy who could make some starts at 1B.

While there is a lot of concern that the pursuit of McCann indicates we may not spend on pitching, I don't think Minasian is that foolish.  I'm sure he knows pitching is a huge priority.

Perhaps it is a signal he intends to acquire it via trade.  In his presser, he emphasized the role of a catcher and hugely important it is.  He also stressed pitching is very much a big need, too.

He has been true to his word and pursued the areas he has mentioned.  If we sign McCann, I would not draw any conclusions about pitching yet, because the offseason is not over.  If he finishes the offseason and the only SP he acquires are middling-type reclamation projects, then yeah, I'll be pissed.  But let's wait and see how this whole offseason plays out before getting prematurely riled up.

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm not the first to say this, the Angels are probably going to be connected with every free agent. 

Expect their name to be tossed around with McCann, Realmuto, Bauer, Odorizzi, etc... It helps drive up free agent prices.

Is an extra million or two gonna make the difference between the Mets being able to sign Bauer? I'm skeptical. 

3 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

My gut says McCann at age 31 = Jonathan Lucroy at age 31.

If you acquired Lucroy at 31, you got a former all-star catcher who never produced a > 1.0 WAR season again.

Calling Lucroy a catcher is a generous description.  The only player I saw who was a worse catcher was Sanchez.

Throw 10 strikes and Lucroy catches 8 and deflects 2, Sanchez catches 3, deflects 4 and completely misses 3.

Here's a few things that i think could be consider and why we're going after McCann

1. Maybe Bauer is in the game-plan, either he out of our price range or Perry things he might not be worth the asking price.

2. Maybe teams aren't willing to pay Bauer 30 mil? maybe most teams are willing to offer him in the 20 mil range? which fits our range and therfore allows Perry to do other moves. I think this is possible, there aren't many big spends in the market, beside us and the Mets. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

lol @ "since '19"

you mean for the last 60 games? 

i had a friend in high school that used to make odd references like that. one year we were still in the dorm working the week after graduation. On Monday we were talking and he said "man, when i was a sophomore . . ." Oh, you mean yesterday?!? He was a funny guy.