• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

Hopefully we aren't giving McCann 4 years. I'm guessing he is considering a 2-3 year deal with us due to being a California native but if the Angels go 4 years as the Mets are reportedly doing he will definitely sign with us. 

Edited by rafibomb

I think it was obvious that Minasian was going after a catcher due to what he was saying at his introductory press conference so I am not surprised.  If no Bauer, would like to see them go after Colome, Hand, or Petit. Bulk up in the bullpen. Quickest way to upgrade your pitching. 

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Hopefully we aren't giving McCann 4 years.

I wouldn't be crazy about going 4, but I'm more concerned about where investing 9-10 in McCann puts us on pitching. We need pitching in a big way. I don't see the catching need as being that significant by comparison. If Arte is putting on his big boy pants, sure, whatever. 

Feels a little GMJish. I’ve thought for awhile now McCann would be a great target. I remember we non-tendered Shoemaker the same offseason Detroit non-tendered McCann, and was bummed we didn’t swap them out. Shoe could’ve gone home to Michigan and their salary was comparable.

But a big deal could be awfully risky. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

I wouldn't be crazy about going 4, but I'm more concerned about where investing 9-10 in McCann puts us on pitching. We need pitching in a big way. I don't see the catching need as being that significant by comparison. If Arte is putting on his big boy pants, sure, whatever. 

I can see best-case scenario the Angels ponying up and stealing the offseason from the Mets. Signing McCann for less than Realmuto which allows them to still be able to pay Bauer. I don't think we would sign McCann if it meant pricing us out of the Bauer sweepstakes. After Bauer I'm sure Minasian can get creative enough to acquire one more pitcher via trade. All that said I still think McCann goes to the Mets.

12 minutes ago, failos said:

Yes let’s sign another injury prone dude past his prime. This team never makes sense regardless of the GM.

LOL he doesn't have a history with injuries and is currently in his prime. I would give it to you if you said you don't like it due to a small sample size but you just flat out said he's past his prime when he was on his way to surpass his career year in 2019. So yeah, congrats on just complaining for the sake of complaining I guess

Edited by rafibomb

I think a key thing in the McCann rumors is the degree to which Minasian feels a catcher is responsible for how a pitcher pitches.  How much of a catcher's game calling, framing, etc impacts the outcome of the game?

If Minasian feels it is a huge component, then upgrading a catcher, who will impact many pitchers and many games, might make more sense than upgrading one single pitcher.

I have no doubt he will still go out and acquire a significant pitcher, even if we sign McCann to a ~10mil AAV deal, but it does appear that a catcher is, quite probably, Minasian's #1 goal.

If McCann is signed, then I would expect that we would acquire our SP upgrade via trade, which means we will likely see some significant prospects traded in the process.

I think signing McCann would be a misallocation of precious resources. He's a good catcher, a fine starter to be sure. You know who else was pretty good last year? Max Stassi.

And there are a ton of veteran catchers back on the market and the difference in value between a veteran like Alex Avila or Jason Castro and James McCann isn't enough to justify spending tens of millions of dollars, particularly when quality pitching is the primary need.

Edited by Second Base

One other key thing - look at Minasian's pedigree.  He worked closely with AA.  The Braves have built up a significant catching pipeline.  Where did AA work previously?  He worked under Friedman, who has built the best catching pipeline in baseball.

We are very likely going to spend a high draft pick on a catcher, and based on all the rumors, it appears we are going strongly after improving our catching situation immediately.

3 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Even if we do not sign McCann, I hope we can at least raise the price, so the Mets have to pay extra. 

You know, what if we’re doing this so the Mets have to turn their focus to Realmuto? The more they spend on Realmuto (and Springer who they’re hot on) the less they may be able to offer for Bauer. 

If signing McCann to a bit of an overpay hurts the odds of Bauer signing with the Mets it might be worth it.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

You know, what if we’re doing this so the Mets have to turn their focus to Realmuto? The more they spend on Realmuto (and Springer who they’re hot on) the less they may be able to offer for Bauer. 

If signing McCann to a bit of an overpay hurts the odds of Bauer signing with the Mets it might be worth it.

If we sign McCann at 10mil AAV, there's no chance we are signing Bauer at 25mil AAV+.