• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

20 minutes ago, Cosmo_Kramer said:

I'd love for Bauer and Gray to be around Canning

Bauer would only cost a pick and money. Gray is trickier. I am not sure what package the Reds are looking for but I'm sure another team can beat it unless the Angels are willing to include Adell or Marsh. I am thinking the Reds probably want an MLB ready arm to replace him so that would likely mean Canning would have to be included. Seems like a trade for Gray would have happened with Iglesias.

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Bauer would only cost a pick and money. Gray is trickier. I am not sure what package the Reds are looking for but I'm sure another team can beat it unless the Angels are willing to include Adell or Marsh. I am thinking the Reds probably want an MLB ready arm to replace him so that would likely mean Canning would have to be included. Seems like a trade for Gray would have happened with Iglesias.

I think Gray is gonna cost a lot more prospect scratch than people realize.  

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think Gray is gonna cost a lot more prospect scratch than people realize.  

Right, I think you are right, but I also think we can get away without having to trade Adell or Marsh.

Would we be okay trading Canning as part of the package?  Perhaps Canning, Jackson, and a lower level minor leaguer in exchange for Gray.  

Then sign Quintana to fill Canning's spot.  Gray, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Barria, Ohtani*.  In terms of "prospects," we'd just lose Jackson, which hurts, but since we have Rendon for many years, as well as a number of SS prospects, Jackson isn't really necessary.

We'd still have Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, and CRod in terms of young, controllable SP in the pipeline, too.

I'd then re-sign one of Bundy or Heaney next year, likely have one of Sandoval or Suarez enter the rotation, and then explore the FA market for more possibilities.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Right, I think you are right, but I also think we can get away without having to trade Adell or Marsh.

Would we be okay trading Canning as part of the package?  Perhaps Canning, Jackson, and a lower level minor leaguer in exchange for Gray.  

Then sign Quintana to fill Canning's spot.  Gray, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Barria, Ohtani*.  In terms of "prospects," we'd just lose Jackson, which hurts, but since we have Rendon for many years, as well as a number of SS prospects, Jackson isn't really necessary.

We'd still have Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, and CRod in terms of young, controllable SP in the pipeline, too.

I'd then re-sign one of Bundy or Heaney next year, likely have one of Sandoval or Suarez enter the rotation, and then explore the FA market for more possibilities.

No no no. I don't believe we should be trading pitchers for pitchers. MILB guys, sure. But Canning could easily be a #3 guy, and he has 5 years of control left. No way do you give that up.

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

No no no. I don't believe we should be trading pitchers for pitchers. MILB guys, sure. But Canning could easily be a #3 guy, and he has 5 years of control left. No way do you give that up.

Sure, I see that point as well too.  Would we want to give up 5 years of Canning, who has possible SP3 upside, for 3 years of cost-controlled Gray, who is more of an SP2 with SP1 upside?

I can certainly see why we wouldn't, but it's just one possible pathway to avoiding having to include Adell or Marsh in a trade.

If we did include Adell in a trade for Gray, then I would likely want a bit more in return than Gray.  So, perhaps - Gray, Garrett (LHRP), Barnhardt (C) for Adell + others?

Garrett would give us a legitimate LHRP and Barnhardt can share catching duties with Stassi.

I think we could do Adell and someone like Jackson for Gray. 

But I'm not keen on trading Adell. I definitely don't want to trade Marsh.

Unfortunately, I just don't see a realistic option to get Gray without giving up one of the two. 

This is why I think signing Bauer is the best option. It's easier to throw money at a guy than to lose prospects.

But if that doesn't happen, I expect Minasian to make a trade and we'll probably be saying goodbye to Adell.

Edited by tdawg87

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think we could do Adell and someone like Jackson for Gray. 

But I'm not keen on trading Adell. I definitely don't want to trade Marsh.

Unfortunately, I just don't see a realistic option to get Gray without giving up one of the two. 

This is why I think signing Bauer is the best option. It's easier to throw money at a guy than to lose prospects.

But if that doesn't happen, I Minasian to make a trade and we'll probably be saying goodbye to Adell.

Adell and Jackson for Sonny Gray? No way.

If Minasian trades away Jo Adell it's likely for a deal with Marquez or Snell.

Signing Bauer is the best option, but so is making another trade after.

Unless Marsh makes the move to 1B, the Angels don't have room for Adell, Marsh and Adams, along with Orlando Martinez, D'Shawn Knowles, Alex Ramirez and Trent Deveaux. 

You guys remember Eppler's tendencies as much as I do, he hoarded athletic outfielders.

They could afford to part with Jo Adell, Jaime Barria, Jeremiah Jackson and Luis Rengifo for Gray. They'd still have Marsh and Adams as future outfielders. They'd still have Jam Jones and Arol Vera in the pipeline. They'd still have Barreto for utility infielder, and they'd still have a plethora of 5th starters if they lose Barria.

But I get the feeling that if the Reds were going to trade Gray to the Angels, they may have already done it by now when they were discussing Iglesias.

22 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Unless Marsh makes the move to 1B, the Angels don't have room for Adell, Marsh and Adams, along with Orlando Martinez, D'Shawn Knowles, Alex Ramirez and Trent Deveaux. 

You guys remember Eppler's tendencies as much as I do, he hoarded athletic outfielders.

They could afford to part with Jo Adell, Jaime Barria, Jeremiah Jackson and Luis Rengifo for Gray. They'd still have Marsh and Adams as future outfielders. They'd still have Jam Jones and Arol Vera in the pipeline. They'd still have Barreto for utility infielder, and they'd still have a plethora of 5th starters if they lose Barria.

But I get the feeling that if the Reds were going to trade Gray to the Angels, they may have already done it by now when they were discussing Iglesias.

Nice perspective and I feel this is ultimately the route Minasian takes.

We have the game’s best player in Trout, two top 30 MLB prospects in Adell and Marsh, as well as another very promising one in Adams.  We can afford to deal one of them, and given Adell by far has the most value, it will likely be him, since he would be needed to secure a SP of the caliber of Snell, Marquez, Gray.

Another important consideration is that it's not hard to find good, quality corner OFers for a rather cheap cost.  If we had the space, we could sign Schwarber for like a 1/5 deal, and he could be a 2+ WAR player in LF.  Obviously with Upton on board, it doesn't make sense, but the point is that we don't need 3+ high quality OF prospects.  Again, we have Trout, who will be a fixture in CF for years, and we have Marsh, who projects as a very good quality RF.  We can easily plug any hole in LF with a Pederson, Schwarber, etc for a minimal cost in future years, as teams simply don't highly value LF, unless you are Juan Soto caliber hitter.

We can also afford to trade Jackson since he’s likely a 3B, not a SS, and we have 3B covered for years with Rendon.

So for all of the above reasons, I am on board with packaging Adell, Jackson, and others in whatever trade is needed to secure a top-of-the-rotation caliber SP.