• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

So, perhaps, we could see something like:  sign McCann (~10mil/yr), trade for one of Gray or Snell (~10mil/yr), sign someone like Quintana (~7-8mil/yr)?

That would be pretty good, IMO, but is contingent on trading for one of Gray or Snell.

FWIW:  per Fangraphs' depth chart, projected fWARs for next year:  Bauer 3.9, Snell 3.7, Gray 3.4.  Essentially, all fairly comparable.

30 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Would acquiring somone like Snell or Gray rule us out of being able to afford Bauer?

I wouldn't believe so. As, Snell is owed 11M and Gray 10.1M... Might be able to fit another if they needed to trade some SP assets like a Canning, Barria, Heaney for either.

I would probably, rather have both of those 2 and Sugano for the same on a multi year deal.

1. Snell

2. Gray

3. Sugano

4. Bundy

5. Sandoval 

6. Ohtani 

Jose Quintana hasn't posted a full season with an ERA under 4.00 in five years and is entering his age 32 season. 

Sounds like an Eppler special, the dude loved signing or trading for pitchers that were earning right around 10 million, and it worked once in five years.

If Quintana indeed becomes an Angel, I really hope Minasian has better luck with these mid-range guys. I just don't see a ton of value to be had in that tier of pitcher. They lack the upside to make the 10 million a bargain, and are typically on the downside of their career. The best you can hope for is for that pitcher to eat innings, not fall off a cliff due to age and be vaguely worth the investment. 

17 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I wouldn't believe so. As, Snell is owed 11M and Gray 10.1M... Might be able to fit another if they needed to trade some SP assets like a Canning, Barria, Heaney for either.

I would probably, rather have both of those 2 and Sugano for the same on a multi year deal.

1. Snell

2. Gray

3. Sugano

4. Bundy

5. Sandoval 

6. Ohtani 

I suspect, given our farm system, we probably won’t trade for both Snell and Gray. Minasian likely wants to build up the farm system.

I would prefer he go after Gray, who will be cheaper to acquire and won’t cost Adell, and sign Quintana.

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Jose Quintana hasn't posted a full season with an ERA under 4.00 in five years and is entering his age 32 season. 

Sounds like an Eppler special, the dude loved signing or trading for pitchers that were earning right around 10 million, and it worked once in five years.

If Quintana indeed becomes an Angel, I really hope Minasian has better luck with these mid-range guys. I just don't see a ton of value to be had in that tier of pitcher. They lack the upside to make the 10 million a bargain, and are typically on the downside of their career. The best you can hope for is for that pitcher to eat innings, not fall off a cliff due to age and be vaguely worth the investment. 

I don't think this is a good evaluation. Obviously if Quintana didn't come with some risk he wouldn't come cheap. This is a guy who has put up nearly 15 fWar since 2016. There is a limited market for pitching and we are a team working within a budget. They can't just put all their eggs in the Bauer basket and hope that one play carries them.

In the Eppler years, a guy like Quintana would be perfect.  But we're past that now and in truly get to the dang playoffs time.  Thus, we need to aim higher than Quintana...even as a 2nd addition to a top SP acquisition.  Heck, I'd much prefer any Quintana funds be used on another very good experienced RP (e.g., Hands, etc.).

17 minutes ago, Fourts said:

In the Eppler years, a guy like Quintana would be perfect.  But we're past that now and in truly get to the dang playoffs time.  Thus, we need to aim higher than Quintana...even as a 2nd addition to a top SP acquisition.  Heck, I'd much prefer any Quintana funds be used on another very good experienced RP (e.g., Hands, etc.).

We are not getting two pitchers significantly better than Quintana.

34 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Quintana has been rather good over the years.  I would definitely support him coming in as a 2nd SP, in addition to a Gray, Snell, or Bauer.  I would not support him on a multi-year deal, but if all it takes is a one year gamble, then sure.  I trust Minasian to evaluate and find talent better than Eppler did.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

I also wouldn't have minded Dahl at 3 million, but I wonder if the Angels want more of a sure thing if they sign a RF'er. Dahl's injury issues and bad 2020 leave some cause for concern. If they are going to sign someone to play over Adell/Ward, perhaps it will only be someone who they definitively know will be an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Again, is this account really reputable? I've seen nothing to convince me that he's legitimate. Maybe I missed something that would establish his credibility?

He capitalized MLB in his Twitter name. He is associated with Hotstove intel. What more do you need? Seems legit to me.

11 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Again, is this account really reputable? I've seen nothing to convince me that he's legitimate. Maybe I missed something that would establish his credibility?

I've followed it long enough where I think there is some credence to his Tweets, based on what he has said and subsequent outcomes thereafter.  I don't think he is an insider to the level of Rosenthal, etc, but I do believe he has some connections and does hear some things.

But that said, I wouldn't take any Tweets as a portend of what is to come.  I mainly posted it for conversation purposes about possible targets, etc.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Of course Morrow goes to the Dodgers.  I felt he'd be the perfect guy for us to sign on a minor league deal.  Knowing the Dodgers, I'm sure Morrow will end up being great again.

i doubt the angels really even talked to him too much if at all. if i were him and the dodgers were interested, i'd go back to the organization that put me on the right course originally.

Just now, ukyah said:

i doubt the angels really even talked to him too much if at all. if i were him and the dodgers were interested, i'd go back to the organization that put me on the right course originally.

Yeah, I agree.  The Dodgers have a strong pedigree when it comes to helping formerly injured pitchers return back to form.  I don't blame him (or anyone) for opting to sign with them to help re-vitalize their career. 

3 minutes ago, failos said:

Gross, but could be worse I guess.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jose-quintana/11423/stats?position=P

He actually looks pretty decent if you look at his FIP and WAR over the years.  If he were our only addition, I would not be pleased, but if he ends up being the "second" addition behind a top-tier SP, I think that'd be a solid move, especially if it's a short-term contract, which it sounds like it'd be.  If our rotation ends up being one of Gray/Snell, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Ohtani*, that seems pretty solid to me.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jose-quintana/11423/stats?position=P

He actually looks pretty decent if you look at his FIP and WAR over the years.  If he were our only addition, I would not be pleased, but if he ends up being the "second" addition behind a top-tier SP, I think that'd be a solid move, especially if it's a short-term contract, which it sounds like it'd be.  If our rotation ends up being one of Gray/Snell, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Ohtani*, that seems pretty solid to me.

Yeah, I was initially put off by the idea, but he’d make for a decent back end starter/innings eater. He has some upside for the price, and history with Maddon. I don’t think Perry is stupid, so he probably has more dependable pitchers in his sights in addition to Quint.