• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

Free agent relievers are coming off the board and it seemingly makes the odds that the Angels sign a free agent reliever less likely.

It seems like the Braves are going to get one of Rosenthal/Greene, it looks like the Yankees/Mets are in play for Wilson, and if the NY team that misses out on Wilson pivots to another top free agent reliever, the Angels may not end up with anyone.

Does Perry really think the Halos can win with only two late innings guys in this era of shorter outings for starters?

I’m not understanding that train of thought.   Slegers has had limited success.  Buttrey pitches like Butthead the past two years.   Pena is a swing man.   Claudio is a LOOGY.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

How much of it is Perry and how much of it is Arte?

hard for us to say. It's possible that Perry has reached Arte's payroll limit or it's possible that Perry has some space before Arte's payroll limit but is keeping that money open for now.

20 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Does Perry really think the Halos can win with only two late innings guys in this era of shorter outings for starters?

I’m not understanding that train of thought.   Slegers has had limited success.  Buttrey pitches like Butthead the past two years.   Pena is a swing man.   Claudio is a LOOGY.

I like Pena, Slegers and Mayers but 1 more especially a Rosenthal would be huge. I also like Jeremy Jeffress.

26 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think another trade coming as teams add players have to subtract from 40 man rosters.

The bullpen is such a crapshoot. Guys almost never live up to big contracts. They peak at odd times and have rejuvenations at various points in their career. I think our bullpen is thin and we need something else, but it’s not like paying $6-8 million for a guy guarantees anything. A guy like Faria or Reed could easily show up in ST and provide that need. 

It makes for an interesting debate, on the best strategy for building a bullpen. Eppler didn't spend money on the bullpen. The one time he did, it was Cody Allen and it sucked. Instead, he had a keen eye for finding bullpen value in unexpected places. JC Ramirez, Noe Ramirez, Hansel Robles, Ty Buttrey, Felix Pena, Mike Mayers, and more...

But because Eppler never spent on it, and instead relied on his unique ability to find it, the bullpen lacked consistency and depth. 

Minasian, and moreover who he worked under, didn't have Eppler's keen eye. Instead, he invested in relievers that had passed that 2-3 year shelf life of most hard throwing relievers, and could be considered more of a sure thing. He did it with Melancon, and Greene and has done it again with Raisel Iglesias. 

So which is better? Minasian's probably, but when you consider the cost, it's a toss up. I mean I guess at the end of the day, it's better to have a good, yet overpriced bullpen instead of a mediocre or bad bullpen that didn't cost you anything. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

It makes for an interesting debate, on the best strategy for building a bullpen. Eppler didn't spend money on the bullpen. The one time he did, it was Cody Allen and it sucked. Instead, he had a keen eye for finding bullpen value in unexpected places. JC Ramirez, Noe Ramirez, Hansel Robles, Ty Buttrey, Felix Pena, Mike Mayers, and more...

But because Eppler never spent on it, and instead relied on his unique ability to find it, the bullpen lacked consistency and depth. 

Minasian, and moreover who he worked under, didn't have Eppler's keen eye. Instead, he invested in relievers that had passed that 2-3 year shelf life of most hard throwing relievers, and could be considered more of a sure thing. He did it with Melancon, and Greene and has done it again with Raisel Iglesias. 

So which is better? Minasian's probably, but when you consider the cost, it's a toss up. I mean I guess at the end of the day, it's better to have a good, yet overpriced bullpen instead of a mediocre or bad bullpen that didn't cost you anything. 

Are you basing that on Minasian's time with Atlanta? Because what AA did hardly seems relevant for Minasian. I mean, Eppler was Cashman's guy and Cashman loaded up on big name relievers in NY, but Eppler mostly went on the cheap for the pen. I'm not sure we've seen enough from Minasian with the Angels to get a strong sense of his approach.