• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

It’s a good deal for Paxton. He gets probably the top market offer, and if he’s healthy, he will absolutely be traded at the deadline. If he’s not, he spends the year where he started his career. I worry about this with Rosenthal—maybe a below average team (KC, Tex, Miami, Bal) signs him for a little more than others are offering hoping to get a couple of prospects in return at the deadline. Same deal for Rosenthal—if he’s good he’s going to a playoff team mid-year. 

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Didn’t want Cobb but not sure Paxton is right addition for us either.  With all the risks we already have with our rotation, I wouldn’t want one of our main additions to be a guy who hasn’t been able to stay on the mound lately.

I'd take Paxton over Heaney, but with where Paxton is at health-wise, it seems like more of a step sideways rather than forward. 

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Didn’t want Cobb but not sure Paxton is right addition for us either.  With all the risks we already have with our rotation, I wouldn’t want one of our main additions to be a guy who hasn’t been able to stay on the mound lately.

I'd rather have a guy who can make 20 decent starts than 30 crap ones.  

The issue with Paxton is primarily 2020. He was pretty dang good in 2018-19, but in 2020 he lost roughly 3 MPH on all his pitches except his curve (around 1 MPH).

I don't know what his injury deal was in 2020, but he only threw 20 innings and the results sucked (although his FIP said he pitched better than his results.

Interestingly, his WHIP in 2019 was only slightly better than Heaney's, but his ERA was a full run better. I assume that's because Heaney had a harder time keeping the ball out of the bleachers.

He's definitely better than Heaney, but I assume the 2020 injury is scaring teams off.

I would have loved Paxton on that contract, but perhaps he wanted to return to Seattle.  Or maybe we were just skeptical of his medical history and didn't feel he'd be healthy enough to make a significant contribution.

Still, that's a rather reasonable deal.  Basically Quintana's deal.  We opted for lower ceiling but more likely to make a # of solid starts, vs higher ceiling but less likely to be healthy.  Given our track record, probably the right call.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I would have loved Paxton on that contract, but perhaps he wanted to return to Seattle.  Or maybe we were just skeptical of his medical history and didn't feel he'd be healthy enough to make a significant contribution.

Still, that's a rather reasonable deal.  Basically Quintana's deal.  We opted for lower ceiling but more likely to make a # of solid starts, vs higher ceiling but less likely to be healthy.  Given our track record, probably the right call.

"our track record"

"the right call"

interview crying GIF

Spring Training thoughts:

As Spring Training begins in a few days i'm excited to watch some of these players hopefully perform very well

Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh, Reid Detmers, Jeremiah Jackson, Jordyn Adams, Juan Lagares, Jared Walsh, Shohei Ohtani, Jose Alberto Rivera and Patrick Sandoval.

Would be nice to finally start seeing a big push from our younger core. 

Also hope that Adell and Marsh start year in AAA (which is highly likely) and then both tear it up. 

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Spring Training thoughts:

As Spring Training begins in a few days i'm excited to watch some of these players hopefully perform very well

Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh, Reid Detmers, Jeremiah Jackson, Jordyn Adams, Juan Lagares, Jared Walsh, Shohei Ohtani, Jose Alberto Rivera and Patrick Sandoval.

Would be nice to finally start seeing a big push from our younger core. 

Also hope that Adell and Marsh start year in AAA (which is highly likely) and then both tear it up. 

Looking forward to the panic when someone isnt playing well, and the optimism when someone who shouldnt be is.

Like bundy getting shelled, and albert leading spring in doubles, and we notice hes using the whole field. 

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Looking forward to the panic when someone isnt playing well, and the optimism when someone who shouldnt be is.

Like bundy getting shelled, and albert leading spring in doubles, and we notice hes using the whole field. 

are they allowing pinch runners to start at home now?