• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

All we can do is guess at this point, but I think they're in on bullpen targets at this point, and we really have no idea what mold of pitcher Minasian is looking for. He went for the steady, proven performer in Iglesias, he brought in a fireballer in Rivera, a soft tosser in Claudio. 

Reports indicate he was in on Soria, so if those were actually true, it means he's probably looking for a dependable 7th or 8th inning option. Rosenthal definitely fit that mold last year, but injuries and a lack of control throughout his career make him less than dependable. But he's definitely a gamble that could pay big dividends in shutting down the late innings. Or he could implode. 

Relievers, man. 

My guess is they'll bring in Greene out Melancon. Perry is familiar with them, they've both been there before and performed at high levels. Both would probably come cheap.

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I don't see the point of moving Canning for Hendricks.  

I'd only entertain it if either if Contreras was involved, or they wound up signing another SP...think that's probably overkill on the depth though.

I have a hard time imagining the Cubs would part with Hendricks and Contreras without getting at least one of Adell, Marsh, or Canning back, and I simply don't have enough faith in Canning's arm holding up the next three years. 

If it was Canning-plus for Hendricks, no other moves? Yeah I'm not sure I'd see the point there either. 

But, something like...

• Angels trade Canning, Barria, Stassi, Jackson and Adams to Cubs for Contreras and Hendricks 

Rotation:
Hendricks, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb (or AAA guys if he sucks), Ohtani

Cubs get two SPs at league minimum for their thin, thin rotation, and a catcher to pair with Romine, plus legit SS and OF prospects which they need.

Angels get their long-term catcher solution. Stassi is squeezed out, Adams and Jackson sting but we're loaded comparatively at their positions, Barria finds a home since he's sort of on the outside looking in here. 

Canning and Hendricks are relatively similar in what they're capable of delivering...Canning's ceiling is probably Kyle Hendricks. He could be that in 2021, or maybe 2023, or he may never get there. Or he might have TJS. Or he's better!

But, Hendricks is sort of an actualized version of Canning's potential, ready to step in right now, with an affordable contract and four years of control for a win-now Angels team.  It's win-now for Angels, win-later (or now) for Cubs.

I'm totally fine with Minasian holding onto his chips though and going into the year as is, assuming there's another small signing or trade to come for relief help. To me, the pen depth is glaringly shallow.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I'd only entertain it if either if Contreras was involved, or they wound up signing another SP...think that's probably overkill on the depth though.

I have a hard time imagining the Cubs would part with Hendricks and Contreras without getting at least one of Adell, Marsh, or Canning back, and I simply don't have enough faith in Canning's arm holding up the next three years. 

If it was Canning-plus for Hendricks, no other moves? Yeah I'm not sure I'd see the point there either. 

But, something like...

• Angels trade Canning, Barria, Stassi, Jackson and Adams to Cubs for Contreras and Hendricks 

Rotation:
Hendricks, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb (or AAA guys if he sucks), Ohtani

Cubs get two SPs at league minimum for their thin, thin rotation, and a catcher to pair with Romine, plus legit SS and OF prospects which they need.

Angels get their long-term catcher solution. Stassi is squeezed out, Adams and Jackson sting but we're loaded comparatively at their positions, Barria finds a home since he's sort of on the outside looking in here. 

Canning and Hendricks are relatively similar in what they're capable of delivering...Canning's ceiling is probably Kyle Hendricks. He could be that in 2021, or maybe 2023, or he may never get there. Or he might have TJS. Or he's better!

But, Hendricks is sort of an actualized version of Canning's potential, ready to step in right now, with an affordable contract and four years of control for a win-now Angels team.  It's win-now for Angels, win-later (or now) for Cubs.

I'm totally fine with Minasian holding onto his chips though and going into the year as is, assuming there's another small signing or trade to come for relief help. To me, the pen depth is glaringly shallow.

I'd 100% pull the trigger on this. At some point, Adams will likely be the odd man out. 

If Minasian were to trade Marsh/Adell I think it would have happened earlier in the offseason. Therefore I think Marsh and Adell are here to stay once ready for MLB.

Based off of Minasian's comments from the ZOOM MEETING it seems like Adams has make good progression. Should he have a breakout year then his value will shoot up. Could be something Minasian is waiting on.

Edited by angelsnationtalk

18 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

R Murray said Paxton is looking for $11 million a year. No thanks, not with his needing to come back and show he can regain his velocity/stuff. Odorizzi is looking for $15 million/year. No thanks again. Much better to shore up the bullpen and have stability in both the rotation and pen. 

"Looking for" 11 or 15 million in the middle of February probably isn't going to happen....If the price drops, I'd still look at either....late signings can be pretty economical....

21 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

R Murray said Paxton is looking for $11 million a year. No thanks, not with his needing to come back and show he can regain his velocity/stuff. Odorizzi is looking for $15 million/year. No thanks again. Much better to shore up the bullpen and have stability in both the rotation and pen. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Paxton holds off and waits until June to sign. 

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

"Looking for" 11 or 15 million in the middle of February probably isn't going to happen....If the price drops, I'd still look at either....late signings can be pretty economical....

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Paxton holds off and waits until June to sign. 

If their asking prices come down, half the league will be interested. I could see them waiting and hoping that somebody gets desperate or has an injury. 

More and more I'm thinking the rumors about the Angels being in on guys like McCann, Realmuto, Contreras, Odorizzi, Soria, and Rosenthal are more about due diligence than active pursuit. They may have offers out to a few guys, but they're not going to get caught in a bad deal to make a splash. 

32 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

If their asking prices come down, half the league will be interested. I could see them waiting and hoping that somebody gets desperate or has an injury. 

More and more I'm thinking the rumors about the Angels being in on guys like McCann, Realmuto, Contreras, Odorizzi, Soria, and Rosenthal are more about due diligence than active pursuit. They may have offers out to a few guys, but they're not going to get caught in a bad deal to make a splash. 

If Odorizzi's market drops to a two year deal, at maybe 12/per year, you would probably have to think about that....particularly with so many one year deals in the rotation....but, you're right, if his market drops to that, lots of teams would probably jump in...