• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

What's our roster at now?   I genuinely think they are done. 

Between the guy they got in the Castro trade and the Rule 5 guy, I think they already have the bullpen pieces they want and have yet to try, plus I'm betting they have Sandoval join Barria in the pen as swing men.  That brings us to the rotation.  They are already in a place where they might be bumping Barria to the pen, if they add another and Ohtani's really looking like he's going to be a viable option then they are creating a situation where they may to move a SP.  And no, I wouldn't want to add Walker then move Heaney.  Its easier to just extend Heaney and yes, I do believe he's the lesser health risk. 

Only way I see them adding guys at this point is if they suffer an injury in ST and guys are STILL available.   I don't know if I really answered your question, I just have a hard time giving it much thought when I don't see either option as likely.  

um.  it's a good thing you didn't give it much thought.  

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

What's our roster at now?   I genuinely think they are done. 

Between the guy they got in the Castro trade and the Rule 5 guy, I think they already have the bullpen pieces they want and have yet to try, plus I'm betting they have Sandoval join Barria in the pen as swing men.  That brings us to the rotation.  They are already in a place where they might be bumping Barria to the pen, if they add another and Ohtani's really looking like he's going to be a viable option then they are creating a situation where they may to move a SP.  And no, I wouldn't want to add Walker then move Heaney.  Its easier to just extend Heaney and yes, I do believe he's the lesser health risk. 

Only way I see them adding guys at this point is if they suffer an injury in ST and guys are STILL available.   I don't know if I really answered your question, I just have a hard time giving it much thought when I don't see either option as likely.  

They do have a couple guys on the 40-man that are easily replaced. Luke Bard, Keller, or Quijada could be replaced. I think the two guys you mentioned are pretty interesting. I mean either of them could easily hit and be as viable as Shane Greene at nearly no cost. The bullpen is a crapshoot. 

Perry has been a part of FO that have signed/traded for relievers regularly. Will Smith, Greene, Melancon...I don’t think doing that scares him. It’s possible he could just really like the guys they have coming in. 

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I like the option of signing Odorizzi or Walker for 3 years, then trading Heaney for a back end reliever with at least 2 years on his contract. 

Like this idea. I really like Josh Staumont from Kansas city. Dude tops out at 102mph. Trade website says his value is less than Heaney's but he's not a free agent till 2026. Angels would probably need to make it better.

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I feel like Minasian is really done and I hate it.

I'm intrigued by it, because that begs the question, "Who does he think the Angels are?" 

Does he honestly believe they are a couple relievers and a back end starter or two away from winning the division? 

Or is he here to facilitate the transition from expensive large market team to a more manageable, home grown, mid market team? 

Did he have his sights set on bigger fish but come up empty in the same exact manner as Eppler? 

Is it not Minasian at all, but Arte Moreno getting overly involved, which is why Minasian's moves strike a very identical glance to Eppler's? 

I'm just not real clear on what Minasian is actually doing. With Reagins, we knew, it was doing Scioscia's bidding. With Dipoto we knew it was to build this into a winner at all costs. With Eppler, we knew it was to rebuild the farm system, get the payroll back toward sustainability and win. And now with Minasian? I don't know. Maybe do Maddon's bidding? 

I'm curious to find out in the years that follow. 

27 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I feel like Minasian is really done and I hate it.

Fabian Ardaya tweeted earlier he was going on with Lodge. Since I was just heading out in the car, I popped it on. Lodge was asking whether Fabian would be surprised if they brought in another pitcher. He said he's pretty sure the Angels are still looking at both starters and relievers but there's nothing imminent, as far as he knows. He didn't seem to present that as an assumption but as something he had knowledge of. He said it wouldn't surprise him if they ended up signing another arm during camp.

Now, they may or may not add to the current roster with a significant piece like Odorizzi or Rosenthal, but they are still actively looking to improve. They just aren't going to force the issue and overpay. Which I agree with mostly (although I might force the issue with Rosenthal, but that's just me).

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm intrigued by it, because that begs the question, "Who does he think the Angels are?" 

Does he honestly believe they are a couple relievers and a back end starter or two away from winning the division? 

Or is he here to facilitate the transition from expensive large market team to a more manageable, home grown, mid market team? 

Did he have his sights set on bigger fish but come up empty in the same exact manner as Eppler? 

Is it not Minasian at all, but Arte Moreno getting overly involved, which is why Minasian's moves strike a very identical glance to Eppler's? 

I'm just not real clear on what Minasian is actually doing. With Reagins, we knew, it was doing Scioscia's bidding. With Dipoto we knew it was to build this into a winner at all costs. With Eppler, we knew it was to rebuild the farm system, get the payroll back toward sustainability and win. And now with Minasian? I don't know. Maybe do Maddon's bidding? 

I'm curious to find out in the years that follow. 

Don't we still have a roster spot or two to fill? 

I just don't get it.

I understand passing on Bauer. I wanted him, but there's just no way to improve the team significantly with one guy. That was a Reagins and Dipoto thing. 

But there's still good pieces out there for the bullpen, and at this point Odorizzi is really enticing. Hell even Walker. 

Is he satisfied with the rotation and bullpen as is? Does he know something no one else does? That's some Dipoto shit right there. But he deserves time. We gotta see how this all works out.

To me, honestly, it seems like Arte put a hard cap on the offseason spending. Minasian did get 2 starters, a closer, a LOOGY, a catcher, a RF and a shortstop for about $30 million. While that's impressive, did it really improve the team? I guess we have to see.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Don't we still have a roster spot or two to fill? 

I just don't get it.

I understand passing on Bauer. I wanted him, but there's just no way to improve the team significantly with one guy. That was a Reagins and Dipoto thing. 

But there's still good pieces out there for the bullpen, and at this point Odorizzi is really enticing. Hell even Walker. 

Is he satisfied with the rotation and bullpen as is? Does he know something no one else does? That's some Dipoto shit right there. But he deserves time. We gotta see how this all works out.

To me, honestly, it seems like Arte put a hard cap on the offseason spending. Minasian did get 2 starters, a closer, a LOOGY, a catcher, a RF and a shortstop for about $30 million. While that's impressive, did it really improve the team? I guess we have to see.

Oh and we have to replace all of those positions again next offseason.

K.