• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

55 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Or most importantly, Rhett Bollinger who is the beat writer FOR THE ANGELS. 

Sometimes, news like that is better to come further from the trough.  Breaking news like that, and you have to deal with the Angels every day, could make for a very awkward experience.  Could also shut lines of communication down, making your job next to impossible.  

Going back to what I said last night in a different thread, Maria Torres never quoted anyone in her article yet it seems like she talked to someone within the organization when writing this article.

"But he’s not a great fit in Anaheim, according to people with knowledge of the Angels’ thinking, even if the team were to offer him the record-setting annual value (greater than $36 million) he reportedly seeks."

"That may not be a hopeless scenario. Minasian still needs to get to know the talent he has. He and his Angels colleagues are encouraged by the potential of youngsters Jaime Barria, Griffin Canning and Patrick Sandoval. They’re confident Dylan Bundy and Andrew Heaney, both of whom are in the final seasons of their contracts, will continue to progress. They’re comfortable giving two-way player Shohei Ohtani an opportunity to pitch like the star he was when healthy in 2018. And Quintana is a proven commodity."

Whoever she talked to apparently has "knowledge of the Angels' thinking" and has an understanding of what Minasian "and his Angels colleagues" thoughts are.

If I had to guess, I'd say she's getting this information from Gene Watson, an Angels Senior Advisor. Watson previously worked for the Royals, who Torres was a beat writer for before she became the Angels beat writer.

17 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

She seemed to get a little defensive in some of the replies on that tweet. Kind of like she' saying I'm right and you dummy Tweeters don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, I noticed this as well.

In the past week, she's basically tried to shut down everyone's ideas by saying that the Angels aren't a fit for Bauer and don't have the prospect capital to acquire a frontline SP.

Now, she may be right but she also could be wrong.

33 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

She seemed to get a little defensive in some of the replies on that tweet. Kind of like she' saying I'm right and you dummy Tweeters don't know what you're talking about.

A good beat writer will have their connections. She’s not going to come out and say exactly what she’s been told but she couldn’t be trying any harder to tell these idiots what she knows.

Maybe next time people will take her word. Doubt it though.

44 minutes ago, T.G. said:

This whole thing reminds me of junior high school girls gathering in the halls trying to figure out if a certain boy likes one of them.  

..... bauer does like a lot of teams.... and is willing to screw all of them.... also doesnt seem to want to commit long term....

Wow. Its uncanny.

15 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

A good beat writer will have their connections. She’s not going to come out and say exactly what she’s been told but she couldn’t be trying any harder to tell these idiots what she knows.

Maybe next time people will take her word. Doubt it though.

She's literally the only one who has this information. Fletcher didn't, and he's been around here a lot longer than any of the others. I don't think there was any reason last week to assume she was reporting anything beyond what was obvious on the surface. What was new yesterday and had not been previously reported (if accurate) is Callaway and Bauer won't work together. That was speculated before, but she reported from someone in the present that it's almost certainly unworkable. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but until yesterday there was no reason to believe she knew anything definitive. That's a fact.