• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

9 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

FarmVille... jk

I know we have tradable pieces (Marsh/Adams), but what I don't like is what's left after that. Angels are still in a position where they're growing their farm talent. 

Spending more this season looks a hell of a lot better than trading Marsh away IMO. Come 2022 and Upton has 1yr left on his contract it could be wide open for Marsh to start getting serious reps. 

Sandoval/Barria MAYBE are moveable but i wouldn't touch Detmers/Rodriguez/Kochanowicz. The Angels finally have young SP talent with huge upside that they can develop. 

The problem is without trading for a Gray type were left with guys that are no more of a sure thing than what we have. 

Just now, Stradling said:

The problem is without trading for a Gray type were left with guys that are no more of a sure thing than what we have. 

Totally agree but I feel like either decision comes with a big IF and that's hard for me to stomach. 
That's why I felt spending more for this year would have made much more sense. It gives the Angels a front line arm and allows them to keep prospects for one more year to have a fresh feel for things. 

From what I've heard, the Angels, or more accurately Minasian, is a HUGE fan of Callaway and Maddon. They have a great deal of respect amongst the players. And while Minasian hasn't really focused on bringing in players that have played for Maddon in three past, he isn't wrong that players that have played for him are doing to play for him again. 

I've also been told the Angels are more involved in the trade market than free agency. So if I'm looking at players that are available via trade that have played for Maddon before, I'd say Kyle Hendricks in Chicago, and David Price in LA make the most sense. If he is still involved in free agency then it's likely Jake Odorizzi. 

And just kidding by Minasian's pay experience with Atlanta and Toronto, two organizations that made bold trades, but generally held onto their elite prospects, I think the most likely result here is going to be a deal for Kyle Hendricks that doesn't involve Rodriguez or Detmers or even Marsh and Adell.

Something like Jordyn Adams, Jeremiah Jackson, Patrick Sandoval and Luis Rengifo for Kyle Hendricks.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

To be fair, I don't have a clue who this guy is.

Thought the same thing so I researched him a bit.
He used to be with the Associated Press, SiriusXM and Baseball Digest.
He also published a baseball book which seems pretty popular and is followed by Victor Rojas, Jim Duquette, Peter Gammons, MLB Communications and a large number of other writers. I know I know "oooooo followers kkooolllll", but some of those names don't just follow anyone so there has to be some truth to the guy. 

Who knows....

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

From what I've heard, the Angels, or more accurately Minasian, is a HUGE fan of Callaway and Maddon. They have a great deal of respect amongst the players. And while Minasian hasn't really focused on bringing in players that have played for Maddon in three past, he isn't wrong that players that have played for him are doing to play for him again. 

I've also been told the Angels are more involved in the trade market than free agency. So if I'm looking at players that are available via trade that have played for Maddon before, I'd say Kyle Hendricks in Chicago, and David Price in LA make the most sense. If he is still involved in free agency then it's likely Jake Odorizzi. 

And just kidding by Minasian's pay experience with Atlanta and Toronto, two organizations that made bold trades, but generally held onto their elite prospects, I think the most likely result here is going to be a deal for Kyle Hendricks that doesn't involve Rodriguez or Detmers or even Marsh and Adell.

Something like Jordyn Adams, Jeremiah Jackson, Patrick Sandoval and Luis Rengifo for Kyle Hendricks.

If that's the package then i'm 100% in. Just don't touch Marsh or Adell quite yet.

And the reason why I believe that package would work is because it's justifiable on both sides. 

The Cubs traded Darvish because they're entering a rebuild, but also aren't entirely convinced they won't make one last run because the NL Central sucks. They cleared money, got a solid pitcher in return to keep them in contention with Davies, and increased their prospect capital. Darvish has three years remaining and by the time those three years are up, the Cubs still wouldn't be in position to make a run.

Similarly, Hendricks also has three years remaining. He's less expensive than Darvish and doesn't have the upside, but he's more steady. 

So by the same logic, any deal the Angels give the Cubs has to meet the same criteria. They need a major league ready starter in return, and prospects that will put them in position to make another run beginning in 2024 or 2025. Patrick Sandoval meets pitching component, and the upside play of Adams and Jackson together, as well as their ETA being 2023-ish positions them perfectly. And Rengifo gives them another athletic infielder they can use now, or stash in AAA and use later during the rebuild.

On the Angels side of things, he's the steady workhorse, mid rotation starter they need. He's in their price range, and got along well with Joe Maddon, which plays a positive role in the clubhouse and eases the transition. And the Angels are dealing from places of surplus to make it happen. Losing Adams hurts, but with Adell and Marsh in the fold, he's surplus. Same with Jackson, you love the power and athleticism, he might be a star. But with Fletcher in Anaheim, Jones in Salt Lake and a plethora of infielders coming in from the international complex, they can afford sacrificing him. Sandoval is a good pitcher to have, there's definite upside and he has options. But with Barria, Suarez and Naughton already on the 40 man, and guys like Rodriguez and Detmers coming up behind him, and Faria being brought in, he's an arm they can afford to lose. Same with Rengifo. Franklin Barreto made Rengifo a moveable piece for that utility role.

Everyone wins.

Edited by Second Base

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Matz is overrated and has underachieved.

Sure seems like it.

Matz, a 29-year-old left-hander, agreed to a $5.2 million, one-year deal with the Mets in December.

That deal came after he had the poorest of his six seasons, going 0-5 with a 9.68 ERA while earning $1,851,852 in prorated pay from a $5 million salary. He was dropped from the rotation after starting 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA in five starts, then made three relief appearances along with a spot start.

Matz is 31-41 with a 4.35 ERA over 107 career starts and five relief appearances.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30791829/toronto-blue-jays-get-steven-matz-trade-new-york-mets

5 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

Tanaka to Japan official. Feels like at this point we are only in the market for lesser arms and Quintana is the centerpiece addition. That doesn’t even begin to move the needle considering we had the worst rotation in the bigs. 

Trade market still exists 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Trade market still exists 

Feels like the mouth pieces and reporters are lowering fan expectations. Why would one of the main team’s reporters like Maria who is around the club/executives say “fans should lower expectations” unless it’s the vibe/information she’s getting.

Saying we only have high risk prospects also feels like agenda setting and controlling the narrative in relation to not getting anybody substantial.

If we do trade for an arm it will just be a project or somebody that facilitates a yawn from the fan base. Not somebody we think can be a #1/2.

11 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think a number of fans, myself included, are OK with the Angels adding a mid rotation SP, a quality reliever or two, and a stop-gap RF.

The question is, do the Angels actually have the money to add those players? @Jeff Fletcher?

I think you meant to tag Arte Moreno.