• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Get the Cubs to throw in Wilson Contreras in that Kyle Hendricks trade and that c would be a strong move toward being a contender.

It has seemed like we’ve matched up so well with them the last last couple of seasons and now that they’re in fire sale mode it makes too much sense not to. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I just hate giving up prospect capital for a position that we don’t really need to upgrade. 

We need stability behind the plate. Have for years.

Stassi might not be ready to start the year and Suzuki eats dinner at the same time the majority of this board does. 

It would be nice to have a catcher in place the next couple of seasons. If Contreras came here I’m guessing he wouldn’t be going anywhere as long as Maddon is employed

3 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

We need stability behind the plate. Have for years.

Stassi might not be ready to start the year and Suzuki eats dinner at the same time the majority of this board does. 

It would be nice to have a catcher in place the next couple of seasons. If Contreras came here I’m guessing he wouldn’t be going anywhere as long as Maddon is employed

If you want stability behind the plate then hold onto Stassi.  He and Contreras are both free agents in 2023.  Giving up Marsh or whatever to get him when you have Stassi and you have other needs isn’t the way I would use my prospect capital.  Sure we need stability behind the plate, but that stability could have started two years ago with Stassi and continue for two more years instead of starting this year and continuing through next year.  Maddon is only signed through next year and is one of the oldest managers in the game, so we don’t really know if Contreras would stick around.  Now if we were to get Contreras, now you are going to have to pay him, and quite frankly we need to spend that money on pitching.  

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

FWIW....   

I think she saw the reaction her tweets got the day or two before and decided to write a story to generate views as a result.  Im not saying she made anything up or her opinions arent based on something but given the amount of attention those tweets got, a follow up story full of bombastic comments was a lock to generate traffic.

At the end of the day, she's got a job to do.

And that's what media has become - stories are more about generating controversy and outrage than "facts" because controversy and outrage means more clicks, and more eyeballs, and more money.

I'm sure this:

image.jpeg.28babb747549de646cb96830c224a14a.jpeg

sold more copies than this:

image.thumb.png.46268176fcdd72a5b2292119b60678ab.png 

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you want stability behind the plate then hold onto Stassi.  He and Contreras are both free agents in 2023.  Giving up Marsh or whatever to get him when you have Stassi and you have other needs isn’t the way I would use my prospect capital.  Sure we need stability behind the plate, but that stability could have started two years ago with Stassi and continue for two more years instead of starting this year and continuing through next year.  Maddon is only signed through next year and is one of the oldest managers in the game, so we don’t really know if Contreras would stick around.  Now if we were to get Contreras, now you are going to have to pay him, and quite frankly we need to spend that money on pitching.  

Totally, I don’t disagree with anything you said. 

I guess it would all depends on the package and what we’d be getting in return. If Hendricks is involved that helps. I do agree that if Maria is right and teams don’t want whoever we’re selling, that the 1 or 2 guys teams may want, better be used on pitching. 

31 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea at this point you have to assume one of two things, they have a plan or the budget only allows for the pitching they’ll acquire. 

ive given up trying to figure out whatever that plan might be at this point, im just sitting back and waiting to see what happens.  
All ill say is that if it end up budget over all, then i for one will be very disappointed.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

Totally, I don’t disagree with anything you said. 

I guess it would all depends on the package and what we’d be getting in return. If Hendricks is involved that helps. I do agree that if Maria is right and teams don’t want whoever we’re selling, that the 1 or 2 guys teams may want, better be used on pitching. 

Here is where the logic of Maria goes awry.  So lets say she has some insight into the Bauer situation, more times than not insight into free agent dealings come from the agent side of things.  How would she cultivate a relationship inside the brand new front office of the Angels, when everything is being done remote these days.  Follow that up with, if “no teams want what we are selling” wouldn’t that be from the other teams front offices?  If it is, then why is she the only one saying it?  Why aren’t we hearing it from other writers?  She has the market cornered on inside sources?  

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

ive given up trying to figure out whatever that plan might be at this point, im just sitting back and waiting to see what happens.  
All ill say is that if it end up budget over all, then i for one will be very disappointed.

We know

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

The plan is the same get another starter and it will happen this weekend

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Here is where the logic of Maria goes awry.  So lets say she has some insight into the Bauer situation, more times than not insight into free agent dealings come from the agent side of things.  How would she cultivate a relationship inside the brand new front office of the Angels, when everything is being done remote these days.  Follow that up with, if “no teams want what we are selling” wouldn’t that be from the other teams front offices?  If it is, then why is she the only one saying it?  Why aren’t we hearing it from other writers?  She has the market cornered on inside sources?  

All valid points and I get all that. Maybe I’m giving her too much credit but can you imagine the shit storm she’s bringing on herself if the Angels did sign Bauer now? No one will put any stock into anything she ever says again. 

There’s click bait type articles with more opinion based and then there’s what she wrote. Yes, she did say if there is a philosophical change but no one will give her the benefit of the doubt if the Angels do land Bauer. 

We’ll see, at this point I don’t think we’re signing him but maybe Arte woke up angrier today than he did yesterday

9 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

All valid points and I get all that. Maybe I’m giving her too much credit but can you imagine the shit storm she’s bringing on herself if the Angels did sign Bauer now? No one will put any stock into anything she ever says again. 

There’s click bait type articles with more opinion based and then there’s what she wrote. Yes, she did say if there is a philosophical change but no one will give her the benefit of the doubt if the Angels do land Bauer. 

We’ll see, at this point I don’t think we’re signing him but maybe Arte woke up angrier today than he did yesterday

Or they were never interested or they have always been interested.  As for why Bauer and Chalupa haven’t spoken out against her article, it could be as simple as Arte saying he doesn’t like negotiations being out in the media.  I mean what Maria said insulated her, for starters the odds of the Angels signing him are at best 1 in 3?  Secondly she insulated herself by saying, “unless there is a philosophical change”, she can hide behind that if the Angels sign him.  

Edited by angelsnationtalk

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

No. This is not the problem in America. Absolute dismissal of differing opinions is the problem. This applies to all sides.

The problem with this statement is that Chuck's response was not to simply a differing opinion but to an unfounded accusation. It was the imputation of sexism where literally no demonstrable sexism was stated. Differing opinions fine...uncharitable unfounded accusations are lame and a real part of the problem with our cultural discourse.