• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

1 hour ago, Fourts said:

I'd be more concerned with they had 1-2 guys only looked at.  Clearly they need new ideas and to figure things out.  So casting a wide net and seeing what pieces could fit, best ideas for building organization, etc. is a positive one it seems.  

No doubt, but the last time we heard "casting a wide net"...

6 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Say what you want.... Under Dipoto in 2014 we had the best record in baseball and with Eppler we never had a winning record. Both failed miserably with succeeding in the playoffs. It doesn't matter who built what or who signed who. We haven't been good since 2009. 

This post, while accurate, shows how ignorant our fan base is.  

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This post, while accurate, shows how ignorant our fan base is.  

Can't be ignorant if it's accurate. It's an honest look at the organization. Farm system hasn't gone anywhere over the last number if years and we haven't won. No one should be protecting one GM compared to another. Dipoto failed, Eppler failed and Arte has failed. Period. There's no way that's an ignorant thought when all the has mattered since 2012 is that we are wasting the best of Mike Trout. Anything less than that should be considered a failure from everyone in charge of the decision making process.

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Can't be ignorant if it's accurate. It's an honest look at the organization. Farm system hasn't gone anywhere over the last number if years and we haven't won. No one should be protecting one GM compared to another. Dipoto failed, Eppler failed and Arte has failed. Period. There's no way that's an ignorant thought when all the has mattered since 2012 is that we are wasting the best of Mike Trout. Anything less than that should be considered a failure from everyone in charge of the decision making process.

It lacks context so yea it’s ignorant. 

1 hour ago, Yes We Can said:

Jason McLeod worked with Joe Maddon in Chicago. I wonder if this gives him an advantage. I've read some good things about him.

Also, like everything I hear about Logan White.

My understanding is that McLeod had very little to do with the big league team at that time, so although Maddon probably knows him, I doubt they really worked much together. 

On 11/4/2020 at 6:09 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe sometime this century, Arte Moreno will actually hire a good GM?

Hill isn’t it, for sure.

Hill is actually not a terrible candidate. Working with a very limited budget, dealing all those years with Jeffrey Loria who was much worse than Arte Moreno. And within those confines, he drafted, signed, developed and/or traded for some very good players, particularly on the pitching end of things recently.

Sixto Sanchez, Sandy Alcantara, Pablo Lopez, Zac Gallen, etc....

And then if we reach back in time, we see guys like Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez (RIP), Marcell Ozuna, Nate Eovaldi, Dee Gordon, Andrew Heaney, JT Realmuto....

I'd say my chief complaint about Hill is that the trades he makes have been spectacularly awful. Trading away Stanton and Yelich and getting a handful of high ceilings low floor prospects that aren't anywhere near panning out. 

On the other hand, getting Sixto Sanchez in the Realmuto deal and Chisolm in the Gallen swap aren't complete losses. 

Hill is a big no for me. what has he done for the Marlin while working with them?

Outside of 2020, 17 straight losing years

outside of 2018, the past 7 years they were an under 500 teams. 

They have had great player, but when your losing for 17 staight years, you should draft grades player. Even with those great players, they still couldn't win. 

Sixto, Alcantara i would give the credit to Jeters and his group. They were the lead guys. 

The past 10 years, there farm sysetm has been dead last or bottom four. 

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

Hill is actually not a terrible candidate. Working with a very limited budget, dealing all those years with Jeffrey Loria who was much worse than Arte Moreno. And within those confines, he drafted, signed, developed and/or traded for some very good players, particularly on the pitching end of things recently.

Sixto Sanchez, Sandy Alcantara, Pablo Lopez, Zac Gallen, etc....

And then if we reach back in time, we see guys like Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez (RIP), Marcell Ozuna, Nate Eovaldi, Dee Gordon, Andrew Heaney, JT Realmuto....

I'd say my chief complaint about Hill is that the trades he makes have been spectacularly awful. Trading away Stanton and Yelich and getting a handful of high ceilings low floor prospects that aren't anywhere near panning out. 

On the other hand, getting Sixto Sanchez in the Realmuto deal and Chisolm in the Gallen swap aren't complete losses. 

these are all truths that need to be weighted against the marlins average draft position, which i don't know but i imagine is pretty dang high annually.

Yelich and Realmuto were 11 drafts ago.  Jose Fernandez 10.  Since then

2012 Heaney 9th (and let's be honest, Heaney is really just ok)
2013 Took Colin Moran (6) and Matt Krook (35).  Got Trevor Williams in the second round that year as well and traded him in 2015 for Richard Mitchell. 
2014 Got Brian Anderson in the third round.  Tyler Kolek (2) and Blake Anderson (36) as well as Justin Twine (43)
2015 - Josh Naylor (12)
2016 - Braxton Garrett (7),  Chris Paddack in the 8th round and traded him for Fernando Rodney.  
2017 - Trevor Rogers (13) - their #8 prospect right now.  
2018 - Connor Scott (13) - HS kid.  TBD

rest is TBD.  Bleday is a solid prospect (4th overall).  They got Chisholm for Gallen.  Jesus Sanchez and Edward Cabrera also top 100.  Along with Max Meyer who they got 3rd overall in 2020.

They've had a crap top of high draft picks.  Good return on Realmuto and Ozuna.  But they already moved Gallen.  Traded Luis Castillo twice.  Once for a dreadful Andrew Cashner and then for Dan Straily.   Gave out terrible contracts to Wei-Yin Chen and Saltalamacchia.  Yelich trade doesn't look good.  Stanton deal was good to get rid of that horrible contract.  Some also claim that most of the good work done recently may have been with Jeter driving the bus.  Which makes some sense considering that Hill lost his job in spite of those moves and the Marlins making the playoffs.  

Just not impressed with the guy's CV at all.  

I'd rather see the halos go with a lesser known quantity than some guy with 'experience' just because he has it.  

When the Angels hired Dipoto in 2011, it was reported that Eppler was the runner-up. Eppler obviously ended up getting the job in 2015 after Dipoto left. That makes me wonder if the candidates who interviewed for the job in 2015 are going to have a leg up this time around, just like Eppler had a leg up in 2015 because of his 2011 interview.

From what I can find, the other candidates in 2015 included Chris Gwynn, Mike Hazen, Matt Klentak, Scott Servais, Hal Morris, Josh Brynes, Tony LaCava, and Ross Atkins.

I have no clue what Gwynn and Morris are doing, so I'd assume there is no chance that either of them are a candidate. Hazen is the Diamondbacks GM, so he isn't a candidate. Klentak was fired by the Phillies and failed to build a winner in Philadelphia, so he likely isn't a candidate. Servais is the Mariners Manager, so he isn't a candidate. Atkins is the Blue Jays GM, so he isn't a candidate.

That leaves Brynes and LaCava. Neither has been confirmed as a candidate this time around, but they have both been linked to the GM job, so perhaps one, or both, of them could be a favorite this time around.

42 minutes ago, Trendon said:

When the Angels hired Dipoto in 2011, it was reported that Eppler was the runner-up. Eppler obviously ended up getting the job in 2015 after Dipoto left. That makes me wonder if the candidates who interviewed for the job in 2015 are going to have a leg up this time around, just like Eppler had a leg up in 2015 because of his 2011 interview.

From what I can find, the other candidates in 2015 included Chris Gwynn, Mike Hazen, Matt Klentak, Scott Servais, Hal Morris, Josh Brynes, Tony LaCava, and Ross Atkins.

I have no clue what Gwynn and Morris are doing, so I'd assume there is no chance that either of them are a candidate. Hazen is the Diamondbacks GM, so he isn't a candidate. Klentak was fired by the Phillies and failed to build a winner in Philadelphia, so he likely isn't a candidate. Servais is the Mariners Manager, so he isn't a candidate. Atkins is the Blue Jays GM, so he isn't a candidate.

That leaves Brynes and LaCava. Neither has been confirmed as a candidate this time around, but they have both been linked to the GM job, so perhaps one, or both, of them could be a favorite this time around.

Man .. even the Marlins have a President of Baseball Operations position.  How is it that we are one of the only teams not to utilize the more progressive FO structure?  

If we land Byrnes or LaCava, then we'll be fine, but I feel like we will ultimately end up with a lackluster hire because we are utilizing an archaic structure that is not as appealing to the best baseball minds.