• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

I can understand being disappointed if guys like Amaro Jr and Hill were on the list, but none of the rest of the guys have any sort of track record as GM so how do any of us know whether they'll be good at it.  

I don't know why, but I've got a good feeling about Porter.  

My concern about Hollander would be that Arte is hoping he'd be a Dipoto clone.  But who knows.  

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I can understand being disappointed if guys like Amaro Jr and Hill were on the list, but none of the rest of the guys have any sort of track record as GM so how do any of us know whether they'll be good at it.  

I don't know why, but I've got a good feeling about Porter.  

My concern about Hollander would be that Arte is hoping he'd be a Dipoto clone.  But who knows.  

why would arte hope that though?

just to put my .02 in, this list is very underwhelming. basically all of the guys i would have liked to see them choose are apparently off the list. 

People were going to complain no matter what. Hell, people were even assuming Hill and Amaro Jr. would have been shoe-ins to be finalists. Even if we were to sign the guy people wanted, some people would say it doesn't matter with Arte pulling the strings. The fact is these guys have contributed to winning organizations and won World Series rings.

McLeod, Sawdaye and Porter were a part of the 2004 and 2007 World Champion Red Sox. The 2013 World Champion Red Sox had McLeod and Sawdaye while the 2016 Chicago Cubs had Porter and McLeod.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/future-mlb-general-managers-eight-candidates-who-could-eventually-become-your-favorite-teams-next-gm/

Future MLB general managers: Eight candidates who could eventually become your favorite team's next GM

5. Jared Porter, senior vice president and assistant general manager, Arizona Diamondbacks

Porter is one of two Diamondbacks executives named to this list. He's had the good fortune of working for both the Red Sox (where he first became familiar with Arizona GM Mike Hazen) and the Cubs, and he has four World Series rings as a result. Porter has held numerous roles in scouting and development departments. He's also a history major, and while that doesn't mean a whole lot, it's arguably more interesting than the traditional "business major" background.

8. Amiel Sawdaye, senior vice president and assistant general manager, Arizona Diamondbacks

Sawdaye is another Arizona executive who receives buzz as a future general manager candidate. (Mike Fitzgerald, the club's vice president of research and development, gets his share as well.) As with Porter, Sawdaye originally worked with Hazen during their time in Boston. He's done a lot of heavy lifting on the scouting side of things and has three World Series rings to his name.

Others who received nominations: Matt Arnold, senior vice president and assistant general manager, Milwaukee Brewers; Bobby Heck, special assistant to the GM, Tampa Bay Rays; Kevin Ibach, senior director of pro personnel and pro scouting, Tampa Bay Rays; Jason McLeod, senior vice president of player personnel, Chicago Cubs

Edited by rafibomb

10 minutes ago, ukyah said:

why would arte hope that though?

just to put my .02 in, this list is very underwhelming. basically all of the guys i would have liked to see them choose are apparently off the list. 

don't forget that they tried to get Dipoto to stay after he walked out on the team.  

the Angels had 98 wins in 2014 and were a few games above .500 when Dipoto quit in 2015.  They were in second place and a game back of the wild card.  

Maybe Arte didn't think that JD left the place in shambles.  I really don't know.  

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

don't forget that they tried to get Dipoto to stay after he walked out on the team.  

the Angels had 98 wins in 2014 and were a few games above .500 when Dipoto quit in 2015.  They were in second place and a game back of the wild card.  

Maybe Arte didn't think that JD left the place in shambles.  I really don't know.  

ugh, i hate the way all of that reads. i hope that's not an accurate assessment.

Well, while we don't know who the 5th candidate is, it appears nobody from the Dodgers, Rays, or A's.

That's rather disappointing, considering they are basically the model franchises in terms of their ability to compete in different ways - the Dodgers, for creating a juggernaut that has no end to contention in sight, and the Rays/As, who routinely compete despite having a very small payroll.

That said, I don't know much about these candidates, so who knows.  Nobody know who Friedman, Epstein, etc were before they started their first jobs.  So maybe one of these guys will end up being fantastic, it's hard to say.

I'm assuming we will hear the results sometime next week?

8 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I dont know what to think of this..

really don't.

not of these guys were my top 3...heck top 5.

hope it's no McLeod, hearing slot of negative things.

I wouldn't mind Porter heard alot of posiltives.

but I really wanted us to get White or someone from the Dodgers...

stupid Arte gets these 5 guys.

I wonder if it's not just an Arte thing. Stoneman and Carpino did the first round and were leading this. Carpino and Arte, in my opinion, are guys that shouldn't be involved with baseball operations. 

10 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I wonder if it's not just an Arte thing. Stoneman and Carpino did the first round and were leading this. Carpino and Arte, in my opinion, are guys that shouldn't be involved with baseball operations. 

That is the owner and president so who the hell should be in charge, this guy?

1032214358.jpg.0.jpg

Tom is a nice guy and all but he doesn't know much more than you as to how to decide which GM to pick. 

31 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

someone has to pick a GM or president of Baseball ops etc though.  Who else would do that?  I guarantee that Stoneman is heavily involved with this process.  

31 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

The Braves organization is loaded with talent from top to bottom so poaching from their organization isn't the worst plan.

He's not been there long.  Dude was a scout with the Rangers until 2009 and Jays until 2007 ...  He's probably the greenest candidate.  This kinda blows.