• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

someone has to pick a GM or president of Baseball ops etc though.  Who else would do that?  I guarantee that Stoneman is heavily involved with this process.  

Yeah they said round one was with Carpino and Stoneman and round two is with Arte. My only concern is how much influence does Arte have in this

I tend to value Keith Law’s opinion of the Angels, especially when he says anything positive.  The reason for this is he once referred to our farm system as the worst he has ever seen.  So if he says something positive, it isn’t because he is prone to look at our team in a positive light.  

This tells me more of the same from the Angels ownership - budget conscious, small, etc. type FO organization setup.  Arte will spend money (trout, FA) but In the wrong places for the long term health of the business.   It’s like a Fortune 500 company trying to be run organizationally like a small business. 

2 minutes ago, Fourts said:

This tells me more of the same from the Angels ownership - budget conscious, small, etc. type FO organization setup.  Arte will spend money (trout, FA) but In the wrong places for the long term health of the business.   It’s like a Fortune 500 company trying to be run organizationally like a small business. 

It does go with my thoughts, that it’s all about the marketing/advertising, and not nearly as much on the things the average fan doesn’t see, like scouting/development.

It is admittedly hard having confidence, when Moreno/Carpino are essentially 0.5 (Eppler improving the farm) for 3.0 in GM hires.

Edited by Angel Oracle

33 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Hollander: "Hey Jerry, so how is Arte as a boss? Did you like working for him?

Dipoto: "..."

Hollander wasn't a Jerry hire.  He was a Stoneman hire -- he was one of the few that survived the purge and Jerry was smart enough to poach him. 

I'd be pretty okay with him.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It does go with my thoughts, that it’s all about the marketing/advertising, and not nearly as much on the things the average fan doesn’t see, like scouting/development.

It is admittedly hard having confidence, when Moreno/Carpino are essentially 0.5 (Eppler improving the farm) for 3.0 in GM hires.

This is why I think Lindor is more realistic than most people think, maybe more so than Bauer.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Btw....  Here's a good article for those who may not be familiar with Hollander.... It also makes it clear what went on during the AP courtship....

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/justin-hollander-los-angeles-angels-q-a-mike-trout-albert-pujols-josh-hamilton/

Only one issue though: no player can be expected to maintain that kind of excellence after using an exaggerated crouched stance for many years, while carrying 240-250 lbs.

It'll be interesting to see the way we go.

As I said in the other thread, I don't presume to know enough about any of these candidates to be upset regardless.  I do have my preferences, and I am admittedly intrigued by the Braves' assistant GM.  He is "green," so to speak, but he has worked alongside Anthropolous for 3+ years now, and I'd say Anthropolous (who was a very good GM in Toronto, then spent a year working under Friedman, who is probably the best in the game) is a good person to learn from.

If we hire the Braves' assistant GM (I don't see him as a favorite), I could see some considerable upside if he brings a lot of the principles that he's learned from Anthropolous.

So for now, my favorites are probably Porter and Minasian.

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'd be pretty okay with him.

Whoa, my heart can’t take so much excitement. The future is so bright. 
I wonder how my wife would feel hearing me say that I’m “pretty okay”with her?  Just what everyone wants to hear.  Lol.  It’s like bases loaded with no outs and you get one run out of the inning on a sacrifice fly.  Pretty okay. 

2 minutes ago, Fourts said:

I wonder how my wife would feel hearing me say that I’m “pretty okay”with her?  Just what everyone wants to hear.  Lol.  It’s like bases loaded with no outs and you get one run out of the inning on a sacrifice fly.  Pretty okay. 

If Pujols is the one hitting the sac fly, it's a huge victory.

15 minutes ago, Fourts said:

"Pretty ok", is about as excited as I can possibly get.   

I just don't think it matters who the GM is if he won't be given the autonomy to get shit done.

Beyond that, with so much in the air with Covid and the sort...  Its a whole lot of nada.

52 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Btw....  Here's a good article for those who may not be familiar with Hollander.... It also makes it clear what went on during the AP courtship....

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/justin-hollander-los-angeles-angels-q-a-mike-trout-albert-pujols-josh-hamilton/

Lets try this again.

This is a must read for anyone that blames Arte for the Albert signing.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Lets try this again.

This is a must read for anyone that blames Arte for the Albert signing.

Yeah, lots of myths blown out of the water, right?   

Notice how it was Jerry that spent all the time looking into how AP would age?  

So AP's decline and Roberto Baldoquin's readiness were 100% Jerry's decision making.

Teflon.

I have to laugh that beyond the Who’s who of this list of finalists - our team beat reporter is constantly confirming other reporters’ info. 
Fletcher in with the “confirming Rosenthal report...”

it would be refreshing to have a beat reporter that actually breaks news instead of getting best by some other national guy across the country. 

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

I have to laugh that beyond the Who’s who of this list of finalists - our team beat reporter is constantly confirming other reporters’ info. 
Fletcher in with the “confirming Rosenthal report...”

it would be refreshing to have a beat reporter that actually breaks news instead of getting best by some other national guy across the country. 

I think it is pretty obvious that the leaks aren’t coming from the Angels, but rather than from the organizations or the candidates themselves.  Why would Fletcher have a relationship with the candidates based on the fact that they are currently working in Seattle or Atlanta or Chicago?