• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

13 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Any of Porter, Owens, McLeod, Sawdaye, White, and Luhnow would be fine by me.

I think Luhnow may remain persona non grata until he is owns up to what he did.  The dude recently denied any knowledge of what happened...again.  Not sure a MLB team will give him that top spot unless he does.  People in MLB tend to be pretty forgiving.  I remember Giambi apologizing for steroids while never actually admitting he did them and he got a pass.  Look at A-Rod too.  A.J Hinch is about to be hired in Detroit, there is a lot of talk Cora ends up back in Boston..... But Luhnow seems unwilling to take any blame and I think that's hurting him.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

For those who are hand wringing about bringing in someone with a president or EVP title instead of GM, I would ask why it matters.  Carpino isn't going anywhere.  Arte isn't going anywhere.  Giving someone a different sig on their email isn't going to change who they'll be beholden to.  

The title might matter to prospective candidates.

White has to be the price of the Gms!

He was able to find so many hidden gems for the dodgers, and was able to build the Padres up.

He was able to draft guys like Kershaw, Kemp etc..while in the international market he was able to sign; Ryu, Puig, Urias,,,and many more.

He got the padres Tatis jr. 

He may price and he should be number 1! 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

White has to be the price of the Gms!

He was able to find so many hidden gems for the dodgers, and was able to build the Padres up.

He was able to draft guys like Kershaw, Kemp etc..while in the international market he was able to sign; Ryu, Puig, Urias,,,and many more.

He got the padres Tatis jr. 

He may price and he should be number 1! 

One thing to consider, though - being a GM isn't the same as being in charge of drafting.  I would instead prefer that we hire someone with a more well-rounded resume, who will then hire White to oversee our entire minor league operations and drafting/developing.

White's eye for talent is undeniable and I would love to bring him aboard, but I am not quite sure he is the ideal candidate to be the GM and in charge of baseball operations in its entirety.

I still really hope we poach someone from the Dodgers or Rays.  No rumors of us interviewing any of them yet, but perhaps we'll hear about some candidates from those teams in the next week.

36 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

One thing to consider, though - being a GM isn't the same as being in charge of drafting.  I would instead prefer that we hire someone with a more well-rounded resume, who will then hire White to oversee our entire minor league operations and drafting/developing.

White's eye for talent is undeniable and I would love to bring him aboard, but I am not quite sure he is the ideal candidate to be the GM and in charge of baseball operations in its entirety.

I still really hope we poach someone from the Dodgers or Rays.  No rumors of us interviewing any of them yet, but perhaps we'll hear about some candidates from those teams in the next week.

^^^ 

You could make an argument that Eppler himself was a little too much on the player development/drafting side. 

9 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

White! White! White! White!

If Arte would move into the 21st century:

Owens Owens Owens Owens!

and and and and

White White White White!

Owens is blocked by Forst.

Get White in here before SD lets Preller go and makes White GM.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 10/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, Trendon said:

Do you all think that the Angels will hire both a President of Baseball Ops and a GM or just a GM?

I think they should should hire both, but I don't think they will because it will cost Arte more money and it would give him less control.

A lot of people ask this, but it's really mostly pretty meaningless. 

There is one guy who sits at the top of all baseball decisions, and below the owner, and that's what his job is no matter what you call him. President of Baseball Ops, GM or Grand Poobah of Baseball.

The reason for the distinction is often so you can pay a guy more. Or else to poach/prevent poaching from team to team. For example, most guys under contract aren't allowed to leave for lateral moves, but if you're going from GM to PBO, or from Assistant GM to GM, well that's different.

But the Angels will hire someone to head their baseball operations and they'll give him some title. And that guy will hire someone to be his top assistant and he'll also get some title.

Don't get caught up in what those titles are.