• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels GM Search Thread - (Angels interview Jared Porter 10/29)
  • mmc changed the title to Angels GM Search Thread - (Angels interview Jared Porter and Amiel Sawdaye 10/29)

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/future-mlb-general-managers-eight-candidates-who-could-eventually-become-your-favorite-teams-next-gm/

5. Jared Porter, senior vice president and assistant general manager, Arizona Diamondbacks

Porter is one of two Diamondbacks executives named to this list. He's had the good fortune of working for both the Red Sox (where he first became familiar with Arizona GM Mike Hazen) and the Cubs, and he has four World Series rings as a result. Porter has held numerous roles in scouting and development departments. He's also a history major, and while that doesn't mean a whole lot, it's arguably more interesting than the traditional "business major" background.

8. Amiel Sawdaye, senior vice president and assistant general manager, Arizona Diamondbacks

Sawdaye is another Arizona executive who receives buzz as a future general manager candidate. (Mike Fitzgerald, the club's vice president of research and development, gets his share as well.) As with Porter, Sawdaye originally worked with Hazen during their time in Boston. He's done a lot of heavy lifting on the scouting side of things and has three World Series rings to his name.

Edited by rafibomb

• mmc changed the title to Angels GM Search Thread - (Angels interview Billy Owens, Logan White, Jared Porter and Amiel Sawdaye 10/29)

Porter could be through Joe’s experience working with him in Chicago.

Both Porter and Sawdaye have been part of multiple WS champs orgs, and have extensive scouting and development experience.

Those two, White, and Owens are all solid GM candidates.

Still wondering if Arte finally also hires a real president of baseball OPS, and moves into the 21st century.

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Porter could be through Joe’s experience working with him in Chicago.

Both Porter and Sawdaye have been part of multiple WS champs orgs, and have extensive scouting and development experience.

Those two, White, and Owens are all solid GM candidates.

Still wondering if Arte finally also hires a real president of baseball OPS, and moves into the 21st century.

Unfortunately, I don't think so, and that's very frustrating.  Arte wouldn't hire a GM first and then a president after.  Unless he surprises us and names whoever he hires as President, but I think we would have heard about that intent by now.

Hard to attract the best talent when you don't really provide them with the necessary front office budget to help put them in the best position to succeed.

Just now, mymerlincat said:

I think any talk of us getting a President of Baseball Ops is just wishful thinking.  Not only has Arte made it clear he wants to run the thing himself, but I’m pretty sure we’d have heard about it right now if we were interviewing for the position.

I agree with this. Also, it would cost Arte more money to hire both a PBO and GM. So that's another reason as to why it's not gonna happen.

• mmc changed the title to Angels GM Search Thread - (Angels interview Billy Owens, Logan White, Jared Porter, Jason McLeod and Amiel Sawdaye)
1 hour ago, ukyah said:

at the very least, i'm liking their search pool and i think some credit should be given to artie and carpino for looking in the right fishing hole.

It seems that the names many have considered to be the most likely as the next in line for a GM job are on the Angel's list and almost all of them have exposure to winning processes.  Much like Billy frankly.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

For those who are hand wringing about bringing in someone with a president or EVP title instead of GM, I would ask why it matters.  Carpino isn't going anywhere.  Arte isn't going anywhere.  Giving someone a different sig on their email isn't going to change who they'll be beholden to.  

I think for me at least it’s about getting two good guys rather than one. With a lot of these organizations going with that structure it only makes sense to move in that direction. The fact we aren’t looking for two makes me feel less confident anything will be different with the next GM.