• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels GM Search Thread - (Angels interview Billy Owens, Logan White, Jared Porter, Jason McLeod, Bobby Evans, Matt Arnold, and Amiel Sawdaye)
49 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Should we be worried that we are hiring our GM about 2 weeks after free agents are free to start signing? 

Will anyone be signed before the new year or before MLB knows if there will be fans in attendance?  I'm betting we hear something else about ownership's financial struggles from Manfred soon.

55 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Will anyone be signed before the new year or before MLB knows if there will be fans in attendance?  I'm betting we hear something else about ownership's financial struggles from Manfred soon.

not a single team will spend a red cent if they don't let fans back.  They might not spend anyway. Covid part deux is going to last through Feb.  The players union is going to have a complete meltdown well before any of that.  

A few teams could come out of this whole thing shining like a rose if they play their cards right and the one at the top of the list is Seattle.  

They have 53m is payroll committed to 2021 right now.  Third lowest in baseball.  They are in a position to really gamble on using some money to obtain assets.  Jerry might f it up, but spending a little extra to get some really good players that are likely to be available could hep change that franchise for a decade.    

did anybody see this?

3:47pm: Ricciardi is not a candidate, Fletcher tweets. Former Giants GM Bobby Evans has received an interview, though, and Mariners assistant GM Justin Hollander (formerly with the Angels) is also in the mix, according to Fletcher. Additionally, they’ve reached out to Eddie Bane, their former scouting director, to gauge his interest in the GM job, Robert Murray reports.

I have to admit, there are two names that jump out above the rest so far, at least to me. 

1. Bobby Evans

2. Logan White

Bobby Evans is the only GM in the running, the only GM still alive I think, that can claim to have built a legitimate dynasty. Three World Series in five years. I'll take that. Though you have to wonder how much of it was him and how much of it was Brian Sabean. Because of his minor league background, I have to think he had some small hand in it, with Cain, Lincecum, Posey, Crawford, Bumgarner, Belt, Pablo Sandoval, Romo, Panik, etc.... All playing major roles in the team's success and all being homegrown.

And Logan White, not so much the architect, as much as he's the eyes of the Padres powerhouse looking like they will be a playoff team for the next decade. His scouting ability is believed to be unparalleled. And when you listen to the few interviews he gives, he comes across as a methodical genius. I mean Tatis Jr., Paddock, Lamet, Lucchesi, Morejon, Baez, Weathers, Patino, Gore....

Edited by Second Base

34 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Interesting read on Bobby Evans when he became GM of the Giants...

https://aroundthefoghorn.com/2019/01/27/bobby-evans-bad-san-francisco-giants/

Maybe being the GM wasn't his strong point....

I think Evans was mostly guilty of not knowing when to cut costs and enter a rebuild. He kept trying to milk a little more out of that roster by Dipoto-ing it (spend a bunch of money and trade off all your prospects). 

But what was the supposed to do? If he did enter the rebuild upon being hired he'd be hated by the fan base for selling off the heart of the team, and the rebuild that he entered into, would've only come to completion after his contract was over. Basically he'd be building a winner for the next guy in charge. 

He was in a lose-lose situation.

The best thing he could've done was keep the heart of the team in place, not spend much on veterans, try to plug holes with kids and low cost acquisitions. Even then, they wouldn't have won and he'd be out of a job, the only difference is he'd have saved them money and left a stronger farm for his successor.

• mmc changed the title to Angels GM Search Thread - (Angels interview Billy Owens, Logan White, Jared Porter, Justin Hollander, Ruben Amaro Jr Jason McLeod, Bobby Evans, Matt Arnold, Michael Hill, Dan Jennings, and Amiel Sawdaye)
20 hours ago, Second Base said:

I think Evans was mostly guilty of not knowing when to cut costs and enter a rebuild. He kept trying to milk a little more out of that roster by Dipoto-ing it (spend a bunch of money and trade off all your prospects). 

But what was the supposed to do? If he did enter the rebuild upon being hired he'd be hated by the fan base for selling off the heart of the team, and the rebuild that he entered into, would've only come to completion after his contract was over. Basically he'd be building a winner for the next guy in charge. 

He was in a lose-lose situation.

The best thing he could've done was keep the heart of the team in place, not spend much on veterans, try to plug holes with kids and low cost acquisitions. Even then, they wouldn't have won and he'd be out of a job, the only difference is he'd have saved them money and left a stronger farm for his successor.

I covered the Giants during their rise and fall and rise and Bobby was there for all of it. I think (and believe I’ve written here) that the Giants and Angels are similar. 

The Giants let their farm system go to crap by trying to win every year Bonds was there, and they contended from 97-04. But the price they paid was 05-09, when they were bad.

But those bad teams netted them top 10 picks in 3 straight years that became Lincecum, Bumgarner, Posey.

Then they milked that run a little too long and had a bad farm system again by around 16-17-18.

20 hours ago, Second Base said:

You can make a case that this is exactly what Billy Eppler did. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I covered the Giants during their rise and fall and rise and Bobby was there for all of it. I think (and believe I’ve written here) that the Giants and Angels are similar. 

The Giants let their farm system go to crap by trying to win every year Bonds was there, and they contended from 97-04. But the price they paid was 05-09, when they were bad.

But those bad teams netted them top 10 picks in 3 straight years that became Lincecum, Bumgarner, Posey.

Then they milked that run a little too long and had a bad farm system again by around 16-17-18.

I live in Giant country. I vaguely remember when you covered them, I think it was from Santa Rosa. And you're absolutely right.

My big takeaway is, maybe it's my own lack of creativity, but I just don't see a way in which Evans could've been successful in SF.