• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jason Castro (1 year, $6.85M)

mmc

12 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I would have preferred Chirinos.

12 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Would’ve rather had Chirinos but whatever. I just hope this guy doesn’t bat .200 because I could see.it happening.

I think I read that Chirinos had a multi year offer....seems odd at his age...we’ll see...

I wonder if Jeremy Reed will be able to work some magic here. He’s had a bit of luck with left-handed hitters and increased power with Calhoun, La Stella, and Thaiss. 

I doubt he’ll replicate that age 26 season in Houston where he had an .800+ OPS, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was able to muster something .750 or better still.

Edited by totdprods

10 hours ago, Tank said:

Alright then. Invite me over to your house this weekend so we can address this egregious error. 

And guess what I’ll bring? That’s right, blueberry scones.

We're having a party on January 2nd. Looking forward to seeing you.

36 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think I read that Chirinos had a multi year offer....seems odd at his age...we’ll see...

Yeah, this.
Well see what Chirinos signs but i would much rather take Castro on a 1 yr than Chrinos on a multiple, no question there. 
Lets not forget next years free agent class includes Realmuto so, just a thought.

32 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

So I was watching Hot Stove Friday morning and it seemed the Angels still might be talking with Chirinos. If that's the case, Chirinos AND Castro might be a truly solid pairing. Then again, it's just a Hot Stove gossip at this point. Not holding breath.

Wouldn't be a bad plan at all......but it takes money away from more pitching, if that is still in the works...neither Castro or Chirinos is a guy who you'd expect to be a workhorse and catch most every game....might keep them both a little fresher....two good catchers is never a bad thing....

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

Or maybe they liked his .281 BA last season and his career of clutch hitting. 

You're pretending this is about performance but you're pimping a guy with a career bWAR of 0.1.    That's 8 years and 0.1 bWAR total.  

I too liked Romine as a cheap back up option, but the guy you were happy to see hired as manager said he was hoping for a veteran catcher to help the pitching staff.  The current GM that was there for all Romine's minor league career and the first four years of his MLB career clearly didn't see him as the guy who could fit whatever role Maddon wanted.  My guess is this is an indication they wanted a proven starter and the guy with the 12.0 bWAR (14.5 fWAR), made more sense to them.

Romine vs Castro is a non issue.  Quit pretending they missed out on anything special.

What's with the Romine talk? Guy is nothing more than a hot turd.

Realistically, we were probably looking at 2 decent catching options as free agents that we could get on short term deals. Those players were Castro and Chirinos. Most people seemed to be ok with us acquiring one of those two and we did.

Granted, I do believe Castro is very capable of taking an absolute shit as a hitter and posting something along the lines of .210 average and .280 OBP. However, with the decent power and defense, it could still be ok. He was one of the better free agent catchers available and has had a respectable career up to this point. No sense in really whining about it when our main weakness is still our starting pitching.

21 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

What's with the Romine talk? Guy is nothing more than a hot turd.

Realistically, we were probably looking at 2 decent catching options as free agents that we could get on short term deals. Those players were Castro and Chirinos. Most people seemed to be ok with us acquiring one of those two and we did.

Granted, I do believe Castro is very capable of taking an absolute shit as a hitter and posting something along the lines of .210 average and .280 OBP. However, with the decent power and defense, it could still be ok. He was one of the better free agent catchers available and has had a respectable career up to this point. No sense in really whining about it when our main weakness is still our starting pitching.

The other guy, the one that we didn't sign, is always the better choice.