• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jason Castro (1 year, $6.85M)

mmc

38 minutes ago, RBM said:

Because the rumors are coming from you directly @floplag. You said you saw tweets Chirinos was offered multi-year deals. So I asked you to show them.  

They don’t exist so you change your narrative. Again. I even showed you the tweet from Mark Feinsand you misconstrued and you said you were referring to different tweets. There are no other tweets. You are creating rumors. 

If you make a mistake man up, admit it and move on. If you choose to lie people will continue to call you out as a liar. 

FFS i dont take notes on everything i read just to satisfy you... get over it already.

7 minutes ago, RBM said:

So you still stand by your statement that you saw other tweets saying Chirinos is receiving multi-year offers?

Either kill the rumor you started by admitting you were wrong about the tweets or substantiate it by showing us the tweets you told us you saw saying Chirinos was receiving multi-year deals. 

Youre asking me to confirm a rumor to satisfy you, thats not something im going to spend my time on.  Well see what he gets and go from there.

2 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

So I was watching Hot Stove Friday morning and it seemed the Angels still might be talking with Chirinos. If that's the case, Chirinos AND Castro might be a truly solid pairing. Then again, it's just a Hot Stove gossip at this point. Not holding breath.

i'd be very good with that pairing. i doubt it's likely, much less even a consideration.

13 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

If this thread is the first time you’ve heard of Jason Castro you’re probably thinking he’s the next Yogi Berra based on the typical hysteria surrounding an Eppler signing. I’d do a quick search of his stats before putting down your deposit for playoff tickets. 

wow, overreact much? pump the brakes, sparky.

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

What's with the Romine talk? Guy is nothing more than a hot turd.

Realistically, we were probably looking at 2 decent catching options as free agents that we could get on short term deals. Those players were Castro and Chirinos. Most people seemed to be ok with us acquiring one of those two and we did.

Granted, I do believe Castro is very capable of taking an absolute shit as a hitter and posting something along the lines of .210 average and .280 OBP. However, with the decent power and defense, it could still be ok. He was one of the better free agent catchers available and has had a respectable career up to this point. No sense in really whining about it when our main weakness is still our starting pitching.

eggfugingzackly

Fangraphs article on Castro signing: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-angels-have-a-new-starting-catcher/

Interesting note on his offense in 2019:

“Castro started last season crushing the ball at a rate matched by few other hitters in the game. He’d suddenly become very efficient at barreling pitches up, driving the ball in the air, and maximizing his overall contact. There are ways to get hot at the plate that can be misleading about one’s actual skill level, but things like exit velocities and barrels are difficult to fake. Castro had 151 batted balls in 2019, and he hit them an average of three miles per hour harder than he’d ever hit them before.

It was an intriguing revelation for Castro, and as Kim noted, one could speculate that some mechanical tweaks may be behind it. Unfortunately, however, they didn’t stand up for the entire season. Castro’s exit velocities tapered gradually as the campaign went on, while his expected slugging numbers nosedived.

It seemed unlikely at the time that Castro had suddenly turned into Gary Sanchezovernight, and in the months that followed, that turned out to be just as far-fetched as it sounded. But Castro did seem to make some kind of improvements at the plate in 2019, and if the Angels can get him to harness that offense for an extended period of time, it would make their lineup even more dynamic than it already appears to be. ”

Worth checking out the whole thing, though. 

3 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Fangraphs article on Castro signing: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-angels-have-a-new-starting-catcher/

Interesting note on his offense in 2019:

I mentioned it earlier, but I wonder if there’s a chance Reed can work some of the left-handed power boost magic he’s done with Calhoun, La Stella, and Thaiss. Seem to have similar things going between them and Castro.