• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jason Castro (1 year, $6.85M)

mmc

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

For those who want another mid range starter, where would he slot in? 

Locks for the rotation: Heaney, Teheran, Bundy, Ohtani

Likely rotation Depth: Canning, Pena, Sandoval, Barria

More rotation depth in AAA: Peters, Suarez, Beasley, etc.

I’m all for depth but unless you do a True 6 Man, or start Canning, Barria, Sandoval and Suarez all in the minors and Pena in the pen?

Ohtani might not start the year in the rotation to preserve innings for later in season. It’s likely someone will wind up injured or delayed too. And if not, they’ll cycle the kids in the #5-6 spots as needed between SLC and Anaheim. A good problem to have. 

7 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

If this thread is the first time you’ve heard of Jason Castro you’re probably thinking he’s the next Yogi Berra based on the typical hysteria surrounding an Eppler signing. I’d do a quick search of his stats before putting down your deposit for playoff tickets. 

not at all represented in this thread.

24 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

If this thread is the first time you’ve heard of Jason Castro you’re probably thinking he’s the next Yogi Berra based on the typical hysteria surrounding an Eppler signing. I’d do a quick search of his stats before putting down your deposit for playoff tickets. 

I love that you are like this in every thread.  It reminds me how great my life is compared to others.  

Castro and Chirinos were probably the best catchers in FA still available.  Chirinos had the edge on his WAR numbers, and dWar numbers.  But there is also the 33 YO vs the Venezuelan 36 YO.  Either way, it's a cheap enough contract that's only one year, and helps solidify the last position that needed help.  

Now for the hard part.  We still need that #1 type pitcher.  

19 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Castro and Chirinos were probably the best catchers in FA still available.  Chirinos had the edge on his WAR numbers, and dWar numbers.  But there is also the 33 YO vs the Venezuelan 36 YO.  Either way, it's a cheap enough contract that's only one year, and helps solidify the last position that needed help.  

Now for the hard part.  We still need that #1 type pitcher.  

Just a question. Why wasn’t 31 year old Austin Romine ever considered? Better hitter, cheaper and younger. smh

Edited by RendZone

25 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Just a question. Why wasn’t 31 year old Austin Romine ever considered? Better hitter, cheaper and younger. smh

You mean the Austin Romine that has an OPS+ of 73 for his career, versus Castro's 93. I think maybe you mean because he has a better OBP, no that can't be it, his is.647 and Castro's is .703.Maybe you just mean the last two years of OPS+ for Romine since those years were the first time it was over 71, a 93 and a 97.Castro had 93 and 101,so at least closer.Cheaper and younger I will give you but a better hitter I don't think so. I'm not saying that Castro is a great hitter but he has been a lot better than Romine for what it's worth.You don't know that they didn't consider him, maybe they preferred Castro all along,with him being a left-handed bat.

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

dude. chill.