• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ryu: “Angels didn’t want two Asian players on the team”

Pancake Bear

54 minutes ago, Lou said:

even sadder that anyone would think it was possibly true 

Ever since Ohtani was picking a team, there have been rumors he didn’t want to go to a team with another Japanese star, whether now or previously. Probably not true, but it isn’t impossible. And if it was, that would give a reason why this story could be accurate. Now we know Boras denies it, but to say it’s sad anyone would think it’s true is simply incorrect. That doesn’t mean that even if it was true that there couldn’t have been other reasons they didn’t want Ryu. Obviously the Dodgers didn’t pursue him very hard either.  

10 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Ever since Ohtani was picking a team, there have been rumors he didn’t want to go to a team with another Japanese star, whether now or previously. Probably not true, but it isn’t impossible. And if it was, that would give a reason why this story could be accurate. Now we know Boras denies it, but to say it’s sad anyone would think it’s true is simply incorrect. That doesn’t mean that even if it was true that there couldn’t have been other reasons they didn’t want Ryu. Obviously the Dodgers didn’t pursue him very hard either.  

there's a big difference between a player not wanting to play somewhere and an organization not wanting a top free agent because of his race . 

the fact that the dodgers didn't want him back probably  shows why teams didn't want Ryu - too much money, for too many years, for the  projected production they would receive in return. it had nothing to do with race. 

Somebody "in the Ryu camp" seems to be trolling. Japan-ROK relations are frequently touchy. If Boras says this did not happen, it didn't.  The Angels probably didn't want to beat the highest offer and then worry when the injury list would come into play. Mr. Ryu has a history. There's a reason Ryu was the last FA pitching headliner still standing at Christmas.

6 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

To piggyback on this, id almost think there is some truth to it.

Not lil kim of pyongyang. But to the crowd that reads the paper the statement was given to. As in, this guy just had a phenom year, why didnt he score the same payday as guys like cole, strassburg, etc. So his "camp" (which for all we know, isnt his official take on anything) makes up "excuses" (for lack of a better word) to say why ryus market wasnt as big as some would have expected.

Literally, forget formal offers.... if the angels truly didnt want two asians, they would have never met with his people in the first place.

End of story.

I wouldn't use the word "truth" in what's described, but yeah, I see what you're saying.

The one thing I don't think they realize is with this rationalizing  - what a Toronto fan is hearing is "I really didn't want to come here, but the teams I wanted to play for wouldn't pay me" - not exactly a great way to make friends.

11 hours ago, Lou said:

why does it matter if we gave him an offer? 

It means they passed on a frontline starting pitcher.   And if Ryu is pitches effectively Eppler should get the blame.

The team does not have a frontline pitcher.  Being outbid is one thing.  Passing on a guy when you are in desperate need is another!

Article: (Speculation) The Angels didn't sign Ryu because he's Asian.

Jeff Fletcher: I can all but guarantee this isn't true, based on my knowledge of the team and my sources in the industry. Here's a rational and believable explanation for why the Angels didn't sign Ryu.

AW Peeps: I don't know ... I think there might still be something to the original story.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

It means they passed on a frontline starting pitcher.   And if Ryu is pitches effectively Eppler should get the blame.

The team does not have a frontline pitcher.  Being outbid is one thing.  Passing on a guy when you are in desperate need is another!

Read what Fletcher says about the process. 

35 minutes ago, floplag said:

According to Ryu's camp... thats pretty much the thread right there. 
IF this were true, they would have never spoken with him to begin with.
Im not going to dignify an athlete basically playing the race card.

It wasn’t even Ryu who said this, according to original story from Korea. And it wasn’t anyone from the Boras Corp. So maybe it was one of his buddies that is just guessing. 

It’s ridiculous.