• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

L.A. Times Skaggs illustration: Tasteless?

Taylor

What I see in the illustration is a group of players, some of whom have a drug and/or alcohol problem, with one of the players turning a blind eye, presumably ignoring the problem.

It targets the Angels, obviously, but not necessarily Skaggs.

Edit: in other words, others on the team also have a problem and nothing is being done about it.

I don't believe any of the "players" there are meant to represent Skaggs, or any person in actuality. I think it's saying that all of those things are "players" in the MLB and on the Angels and all of them are "deadly" in their own way. That's my interpretation of it, at least.

Still, could have been done without the shock value. That in and of itself is indeed tasteless.

I don’t get why there’s this thought that there needs to be a brand new discussion about drug abuse.  People use drugs.  Sometimes when they use drugs they OD and die.  

It’s like Tyler Skaggs death has introduced some people to the concept of drug overdoses existing.  Fuc*king get it together.  Shit like this is embarrassing.  Baseball players are actually people that are subject to the same issues that other people deal with.  Tyler Skaggs probably encountered far more drug use education shit then the average person.  Definitely more drug testing shit.  And he still was apparently doing drugs.  

We don’t need a new discussion.  We don’t need more testing.  It would be nice if there was a little bit of good taste and maybe umm, restraint exercised when discussing the story.   There’s no cure for the human condition.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Baghdad Strad said:

@Jeff Fletcher what are your thoughts on this journalistically?

I don’t know if it’s tasteless. I think it’s just bad. The “blind eye” is not a thing, like the drugs. Also, alcohol shouldn’t be a skeleton because its legal and lots of people drink it.

So if you’re trying to make the point that the Angels were ignoring drug use, this illustration doesn’t do it. It doesn’t really make any point. It’s just kind of weird and creepy looking.

Also, as far as I can tell it’s a stand alone illustration on the letters page. It doesn’t go with a story. 

10 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t know if it’s tasteless. I think it’s just bad. The “blind eye” is not a thing, like the drugs. Also, alcohol shouldn’t be a skeleton because its legal and lots of people drink it.

So if you’re trying to make the point that the Angels were ignoring drug use, this illustration doesn’t do it. It doesn’t really make any point. It’s just kind of weird and creepy looking.

Also, as far as I can tell it’s a stand alone illustration on the letters page. It doesn’t go with a story. 

I just don’t get what people think.  That one member of the organization  died doing drugs and perhaps some other member or small number of members of the organization got the drugs or knew about the drugs thus signifying a macro organizational level tolerance for drugs ? How many people could reasonably be characterized as “members” of the Angels organization from top to bottom ? 

The whole concept is ridiculous.  It’s almost like a hysteria or something. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Im trying to understand the point it's attempting to make. The multiple players in Angel uniforms seems to imply that there are many players on the team with 'a problem' and many who know about it but are covering it up or ignoring it. That is a pretty strong accusation to make in a cartoon without any journalistic backing. One might argue that they are saying that this is a league wide or sports wide problem, but if that is the case why is every player in an Angels uniform? 

Edit: Looking at it more I think it is trying to put blame on the team itself for what happened to Tyler, implying that his demons were around for all to see but no one paid any mind or did anything about it.