• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariners, top 5 farm after all is said and done

floplag

On paper, these moves that Dipoto is making look really good.  That was never an issue with Dipoto led teams, they always looked good on paper.  But when it came time to play, every single one of them under-performed with the exception of 2014. 

Dipoto is fixing his farm system a lot faster than I thought he could, but he's doing it at the cost of his major league team, basically having a full on fire sale.  I mean he's eating 60 million dollars AND taking on bad contracts, just to get rid of Cano and is still only saving 25 million from it. 

And while building a good farm system can be an exciting venture, maintaining a top notch farm system is the key.  I don't think Dipoto can do that.  He likes to trade too much.  So any prospect capital Dipoto actually acquires, he's probably going to end up trading away, which will lead to this circumstance all over again. 

21 hours ago, ettin said:

I actually think this may turn out to be a reasonably good trade for the Mariners. Navarez has a lot of good skills including above average defense. Only thing he may really suck at is pitch framing. Good OBP though and he is at that age where strength usually blooms (if it is going to at all).

I actually agree this could turn out well for them but for different reasons.  He's surehanded but stuff gets passed him and he's the second worst pitch framer in MLB last I checked and his CS% sat around 25% - he's not bad but hardly above average.... I also agree he's at the right age where it his power could improve.  His calling card is his ability to get on base.   So where I see this possibly turning out well is he may be another piece to move down the road.  

Edit: just saw FG has him at the lowest DRS among catchers....   No idea how his WAR hasn't taken a bigger hit... ISO?

Edited by Inside Pitch