• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariners, top 5 farm after all is said and done

floplag

22 minutes ago, Ender said:

That is Buster Olney saying they SHOULD include Haniger or Segura to do so ... no indication that is from anyone with the M's.

Honestly I don't have an opinion either way.   Don't really get the rush to move salaries but I'm not privy to their master plan.  But TY for letting me know it's an Olney story.

11 hours ago, eligrba said:

So if that is the case, Dipoto, since quitting, has guided his Mariners to better records than the Angels, and now, will have successfully rebuilt a farm system, in one off season, that is also better than the Angels.

Maybe he really is a Jedi?

These are not the prospects you're looking for...

58 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The problem is Dipoto has not been able to get a tier 1 prospect or future game changer for the likes of Diaz, Segura (if JJ Crawford headlines the return) & Paxton. 

Kelenic comes closest.  He's been called maxed out by some due to being older for a HS player and his having been afforded the luxury of advanced training (his Dad own or operates some training facility). But, I really like the kid, the make up is top shelf and he has a clue.  He may not be a tier 1 guy, but he has enough tools/athleticism to merit mention as being close and every scouting report ever written talks up his feel for hitting.  My guess is he gets scrutinized a bit more now that he's been removed from NY as part of a high profile trade, which imo is kinda BS.

The thing that bears watching with him and the entire Mariners farm system moving forward is whether or not they alter their usual one level per year approach of it they start being more aggressive promoting guys.   The party line is they  expect to be ready to compete in 2 years so, their regular modus operandi wouldn't get there.  It will be interesting to see how Seattle goes about developing all these guys.

I can see why the mets did what they did.  

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kelenic comes closest.  He's been called maxed out by some due to being older for a HS player and his having been afforded the luxury of advanced training (his Dad own or operates some training facility). But, I really like the kid, the make up is top shelf and he has a clue.  He may not be a tier 1 guy, but he has enough tools/athleticism to merit mention as being close and every scouting report ever written talks up his feel for hitting.  My guess is he gets scrutinized a bit more now that he's been removed from NY as part of a high profile trade, which imo is kinda BS.

The thing that bears watching with him and the entire Mariners farm system moving forward is whether or not they alter their usual one level per year approach of it they start being more aggressive promoting guys.   The party line is they  expect to be ready to compete in 2 years so, their regular modus operandi wouldn't get there.  It will be interesting to see how Seattle goes about developing all these guys.

I bet he gets traded in the next year or two when he shows a little promise.  Again, I think this is the reboot year.  Anyone who can be used to help the major league club in 2020 is as good as gone.  

I get the mets play here.  They've got an amazing staff if healthy.  Nimmo and Conforto are a good corner OF duo.  They probably have Cespedes play CF.  They're hoping Mcneill is the real deal and that Rosario can take a step forward (not optimistic about that personally).  Add Cano in the hopes that he gives them at least two good years.  Plawecki at C is decent enough.  Frazier is on the downside of his career but can probably be an avg 1bman and he's a good clubhouse guy.  And now they have a lock down closer.  

They're probably still a bat short.  Realmuto could be the missing piece for them actually.  And they need a couple more pen arms.  

The NL east is going to be very interesting this year.  I think the Nats will be better.  Atlanta could go in either direction imo.   My guess is they are the favorites.  Philly will now have Segura and I could see them landing at least one of Machado or Harper and either Corbin or Keuchel.  Personally feel like they've still got some work to do even if they did.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So where does Crawford rank in the top 100 prospects?  

He doesn't -- he's not a prospect anymore -- he lost his eligibility last year.   But he was in the top 25 guy for a few years -- I think he peaked at like 4 or 5 at one point prior to the 2016 season, he just hasn't hit all that well in any season since 2015.  His bat has never really come along like many thought it would, he's more Addison Russell than Alex Rodriguez at this point.   IMO, he's being underrated a bit, he's better than he showed last year and I'm betting he becomes a solid OBP and defense guy.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So where does Crawford rank in the top 100 prospects?  

he doesn't qualify anymore, but he was ranked as high as the #4-6 range pre-2016 by all the major publications.  I have always felt that was a huge stretch personally.  I just don't see him hitting for avg or power and he doesn't have elite speed.  He's supposed to be a very good defender but defensive metrics didn't like him at all last year and I think that's part of why he's lost some shine.   He's still only entering his age 24 season and could take a step forward over the next couple years.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Two guys that I respect have differing opinions of the upside or ranking of the guy.  I suggest a duel. 

not sure if what either of us said is all that different.  I felt like he was overrated in 2016 as a top 10 prospect but like IP said, he's got a good chance of being a solid everyday SS with a good obp which I agree with.  I don't think he'll be as good as Segura.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Two guys that I respect have differing opinions of the upside or ranking of the guy.  I suggest a duel. 

If you mean Doc and I -- I don't think we view him all that differently..   I have always believed he was overhyped in the same way that Jurickson Profar was, but, I think people may be judging him a bit too harshly on his numbers last year.   I believe he broke his hand or wrist, I don't really recall and I believe that impacted him.  They also were playing him at 3B which I don't believe he had played previously - we all saw how Cozart looked at 3B.

Like Doc, I don't think he will be a significant power threat, and he's never hit for average really.    But I do think his glove is better than he showed last year and he's always done a fine job of getting on base.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

not sure if what either of us said is all that different.  I felt like he was overrated in 2016 as a top 10 prospect but like IP said, he's got a good chance of being a solid everyday SS with a good obp which I agree with.  I don't think he'll be as good as Segura.  

LOL, get out of my head....

52 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I read an article today that said the M's have gone from the weakest farm system to the middle of the pack over the weekend due to these trades.

and their major league team has gone from contending for a playoff spot to . . . 

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

and their major league team has gone from contending for a playoff spot to . . . 

Smart Mariner fans never bought into that contending smoke and mirrors record from last season ... I followed the runs scored / runs against ... the writing was on the wall. I allowed myself to have false hope due to luck, but as expected, they crashed down to earth hard in the 2nd half.

Also if you aren't first, you're last in my book .... I don't see us, you or the A's dethroning the Astros for a lil bit atop the AL West ... and splurging to shoot for a 1 game playoff lottery ticket seems crazier than burning the system down.

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So since he is acquiring major league ready prospects that will be in the major leagues he will get the same boost to his farm system as the Angels did when they signed Ohtani.  Does that sound about right?  

kelenic, dunn and dom thompson-williams won't be in the majors in 2019.  

and I'm not convinced he's done trading to improve the big club once he gets rid of the rest of the previous year's roster.