• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

I believe we need too "bite the bullet" and just sign Greg Holland already. I'd rather spend a little extra today and get a known quantity, rather than wait for a middle of the season trade or for another diamond in the rough to appear. Winning should trump finances, especially when the team is already under the tax threshold. We need to have as much talent as possible, at as many positions as possible. I feel we're just good enough to be in the playoff conversation right now and we should be looking at ways to overwhelm our opponents, not just have an ok chance.  

6 minutes ago, DailyHalo said:

I believe we need too "bite the bullet" and just sign Greg Holland already. I'd rather spend a little extra today and get a known quantity, rather than wait for a middle of the season trade or for another diamond in the rough to appear. Winning should trump finances, especially when the team is already under the tax threshold. We need to have as much talent as possible, at as many positions as possible. I feel we're just good enough to be in the playoff conversation right now and we should be looking at ways to overwhelm our opponents, not just have an ok chance.  

It has nothing to do with finances and everything to do with losing a draft pick and slot and international money.  

20 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

It has nothing to do with finances and everything to do with losing a draft pick and slot and international money.  

We would lose a 2nd round draft pick and $500,000 international pool money, but no slot money since we didn't exceed the tax threshold last season.

• A team that neither exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season nor receives revenue sharing will lose its second-highest selection in the following year's Draft, as well as $500,000 from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its third-highest remaining pick and an additional $500,000.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We would lose a 2nd round draft pick and $500,000 international pool money, but no slot money since we didn't exceed the tax threshold last season.

• A team that neither exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season nor receives revenue sharing will lose its second-highest selection in the following year's Draft, as well as $500,000 from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its third-highest remaining pick and an additional $500,000.

If this is true then I’d sign him.  But I’ve seen guys on here who live and breathe this stuff that say it also costs slot money.   @Ace-Of-Diamonds, I read that article too but assumed it simply didn’t include the slot money part.  

5 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

If this is true then I’d sign him.  But I’ve seen guys on here who live and breathe this stuff that say it also costs slot money.   @Ace-Of-Diamonds, I read that article too but assumed it simply didn’t include the slot money part.  

The new qualifying offer rules, explained

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-qualifying-offer-rules-explained/c-259650658

Are there still penalties for signing players who rejected qualifying offers?
Yes, but there are some changes.

Any team that signs a player who has rejected a qualifying offer is subject to the loss of one or more Draft picks. While a team's highest first-round pick is exempt from forfeiture, any additional first-round picks are eligible. Under the previous CBA, only the top 10 overall picks were exempt from forfeiture, so this is a big change. Three tiers of Draft-pick forfeiture -- which are based on the financial status of the signing team -- are in place to serve as a penalty for signing a player who rejected a qualifying offer:

• A team that exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season will lose its second- and fifth-highest selections in the following year's Draft, as well as $1 million from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If such a team signs multiple qualifying-offer free agents, it will forfeit its third- and sixth-highest remaining picks as well.

Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2018 Draft would lose its second- and fifth-round picks. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-highest first-round pick and its fourth-round pick.

• A team that receives revenue sharing will lose its third-highest selection in the following year's Draft. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its fourth-highest remaining pick.

Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2018 Rule Draft would lose its third-round pick. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-round pick.

Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2018 Draft would lose its second-round pick. A team with two first-round picks would lose its second-highest first-round pick.

38 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Like I said @Ace-Of-Diamonds I read that article, but guys who usually know this stuff inside and out have mentioned the loss of slot money as well.   It’s possible the author didn’t see value in including that in his story.  @Inside Pitch @ettin@Scotty@AW any information on this?  

I downloaded the actual CBA from internet, this what it says about the signing a QO FA that meets our particular situation.

(C) Any Signing Club not covered by subsections (A) or
(B) above shall forfeit its second-highest available selection in
the next Rule 4 Draft and shall have its international Signing
Bonus Pool for the next international signing period reduced
by $500,000.

http://www.mlbplayers.com/pdf9/5450407.pdf

page 95-96

The slot money is actually pretty inconsequential, especially in the Angels circumstance. For a team that's looking to win now, rebuild its farm system and establish any sort of influence or solid ground in Latin America, the loss of a second round pick plus $500,000 from the international pool would be particularly devastating.

I mean that's the sort of sacrifice you make if you really believe this free agent is the difference between winning and not winning.

Maybe for a ball club that already has a stacked farm system and strong international presence, doing this sort of thing wouldn't be a big deal. But to the Angels, I think it's a relatively higher price to pay.

26 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The slot money is actually pretty inconsequential, especially in the Angels circumstance. For a team that's looking to win now, rebuild its farm system and establish any sort of influence or solid ground in Latin America, the loss of a second round pick plus $500,000 from the international pool would be particularly devastating.

I mean that's the sort of sacrifice you make if you really believe this free agent is the difference between winning and not winning.

Maybe for a ball club that already has a stacked farm system and strong international presence, doing this sort of thing wouldn't be a big deal. But to the Angels, I think it's a relatively higher price to pay.

I disagree but I don’t follow this as closely as you do.   I think the lack of slot money (if that’s the case), means you can’t be as creative as Eppler likes to be.  

13 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

There’s a reason why Holland doesn’t have a job and it has nothing to do with collusion. 

Yes there is, like he probably wants too much money and years.  He's in a good position though, closers (with the exception of a few very exceptional ones) come and go in how they perform so eventually there will be a drastic need by some team.

18 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It seems pretty clear at this point the Angels don't want to lose picks or money...    We got what we got.

I would think Eppler wants to save some money, below the luxury tax, for June/July and the trading deadline....this team is a playoff contender and you'd like to think you could add a piece down the stretch...

I feel like the Angels need to sign Holland. I've stated it before on this thread that Holland's numbers were skewed because of a bad August, and @Glen mentioned it as well. If you take away Holland's horrible August last year, his numbers would be up there with the best closers in the whole league, and that was despite pitching his home games at Coors Field.