• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

15 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

"The Orioles officially signed Alex Cobb on Wednesday, but they weren’t serious suitors for him as of February because his asking price was too high."

Seems like teams holding out worked.  Most of the FA didn't get what they were asking so the owners knew what they were doing.

Maybe, but Hosmer still got his, Darvish still got his, Cain still got his, Santana got his.  JD got $110 million, I don't think anyone actually believed he was getting $200 million.  Really the losers are Moustakas, who had zero market, Lynn and Arrieta and if he has a great year he has those two option years.  

Edited by SuperTroopers

Check out MLBTR predicitons.  Most of the guys didn't get what they predicted and some were not even close.  I also did state that MOST didn't get what they wanted.  Also, read back at some of the predictions here.  A lot of people thought Darvish and JD were going to get like 40 million more than what they ended up getting.  That is huge.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Check out MLBTR predicitons.  Most of the guys didn't get what they predicted and some were not even close.  I also did state that MOST didn't get what they wanted.  Also, read back at some of the predictions here.  A lot of people thought Darvish and JD were going to get like 40 million more than what they ended up getting.  That is huge.

Yea, I guess, but I didn't buy into what some of our posters were saying they would get.  Looking at that article, and yes some got less, here is the list of who got more.  Cobb, the guy most recently signed that you were probably commenting about, Santana, Wade Davis, Cain, Bruce got what was predicted, Mike Minor got more, Morrow got more, Nicasio got more, Shaw got more, Chatwood got more, McGee got more.  

The highest guys got less, a lot of players got more, either more per year or more total contract.  Hell Hosmer got more money, but it was for longer and he got an opt out for the lesser part of the contract.  

28 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Maybe, but Hosmer still got his, Darvish still got his, Cain still got his, Santana got his.  JD got $110 million, I don't think anyone actually believed he was getting $200 million.  Really the losers are Moustakas, who had zero market, Lynn and Arrieta and if he has a great year he has those two option years.  

Hosmer and Darvish are the only true out of whack signings.   What especially were the Padres thinking?

Cain's and Santana's weren't too outlandish.  Martinez got pretty much what he should have gotten.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

i wonder if owners are 'saving up' for next winter with mach ado and harper hitting the market.

2 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

Really the losers are Moustakas, who had zero market, Lynn and Arrieta and if he has a great year he has those two option years.  

I think Moose had a market, it just wasn’t what he and Boras expected....I’m satisfied that the report of the multi year offer from the Angels had some truth to it...maybe it was a “parameter of a deal” rather than a formal offer but I suspect Eppler was serious...Boras just misjudged things...

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hosmer and Darvish are the only true out of whack signings.   What especially were the Padres thinking?

Actually, I think Hosmer will do well in SD.  Plus, in 2-3 years when all that youth starts to make the playoffs, Hosmer is a perfect leader for that team with a ton playoffs/WS experience.

14 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Actually, I think Hosmer will do well in SD.  Plus, in 2-3 years when all that youth starts to make the playoffs, Hosmer is a perfect leader for that team with a ton playoffs/WS experience.

The leadership angle isn't a bad one.    But that is a lot of money for someone with the career stats that he has.   Granted, if someone else was truly offering almost that much (not a Boras lie), then maybe I could see it for a team like SD with young talent but lacking experience.  

17 hours ago, DMVol said:

I think Moose had a market, it just wasn’t what he and Boras expected....I’m satisfied that the report of the multi year offer from the Angels had some truth to it...maybe it was a “parameter of a deal” rather than a formal offer but I suspect Eppler was serious...Boras just misjudged things...

Moose market was limited by a number of factors.  his agent eliminated many, including us, a lot of teams looking forward to next off season eliminated more.  in the end it left few options and none of them were going to pay what he or more specifically what Boras wanted.