• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

What is the difference in paying prospects you have vs ones you will draft? I've never understood that concept.

You trade from a position of strength.  You get to keep your entire draft, in a deep draft, you get to keep all of your international bonus pool money.  You’re trading a guy that you’re very familiar with and you’ve already decided on his value. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

From MLBTR:

While there’s still plenty of time left in camp, there’s some rising unease within the Diamondbacks organization surrounding Zack Greinke, as Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports. Greinke himself noted that he’s somewhat “nervous” that he won’t be working in his typical low-nineties range by the start of the season given that he’s still sitting in the mid-eighties with his fastball.

----------------------------------------

He may be suffering from the Jared Weaver syndrome. 

And still, so much money owed to Grienke

36 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Then trade for a really good arm.   You could overpay to an extent and have it be less detrimental than signing a guy like Holland.  

Or, you could sign a guy that puts us in SERIOUS contention as a WS contender while we still control the best player in baseball. Just sign him for no more than 2-3 years and his contract wont impact any future play for re-signing Trout.

Seriously, who do we have to trade that another club would want, that would give us the return of a Holland? We arent that deep on the 40 man roster nor down on the farm. What reliever on another team's 25 man roster (that isn't contending, and so, might trade) could we target? Looks like we probably need a legit closer.

48 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

What is the difference in paying prospects you have vs ones you will draft? I've never understood that concept.

You can trade players you may no longer see as essential, or where you have depth.  When you trade a prospect you're actualizing his value...  or at least trying to.  When you throw away bonus pools you're pissing value away.  Because of the changes to the CBA, pool money carries much more value than its real world equivalent.  It's a pretty simple concept.

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

No way we should be going into the season with Parker as the closer. Ive had the feeling for a while that if our bp keeps getting blasted like this that we go and grab Holland. It makes way too much sense. I understand not wanting to lose out on the 2nd rounder but were built to win immediately. Fuck it, go get Cobb too and trade one of the starters for cash.

I don't mind losing a 2nd round pick.  I mind losing the slot money and international money.

24 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Or, you could sign a guy that puts us in SERIOUS contention as a WS contender while we still control the best player in baseball. Just sign him for no more than 2-3 years and his contract wont impact any future play for re-signing Trout.

Seriously, who do we have to trade that another club would want, that would give us the return of a Holland? We arent that deep on the 40 man roster nor down on the farm. What reliever on another team's 25 man roster (that isn't contending, and so, might trade) could we target? Looks like we probably need a legit closer.

If Holland was as sure of a thing as you describe he is he wouldn’t be available.   I don’t disagree that we need a closer, but to give up a 2nd and a 5th round pick and the money attached to them, thus giving you zero flexibility in the entire draft, plus international money, something that Eppler seems to covet as a means to build the farm, it seems very unlikely.   

Edited by SuperTroopers

9 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

If Holland was as sure of a thing as you describe he is he wouldn’t be available.   I don’t disagree that we need a closer, but to give up a 2nd and a 5th round pick and the money attached to them, thus giving you zero flexibility in the entire draft, plus international money, something that Eppler seems to cover as a means to build the farm, it seems very unlikely.   

A week ago people were losing their shit because the starting rotation was giving up HRs in AZ and Arrieta was the savior.....  This week it's the pen and Holland is the messiah.  I'm sure everyone was stoked when Blake Parker, Yusmero Petit, and Bud Norris, were being looked at to log significant innings out or the pen last year.

I'm not a fan of Blake Wood, but I'm not as terrified of the rest of the bullpen candidates.

31 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Perez, Marte, Noe Ramirez, or various minor league arms.

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You can trade players you may no longer see as essential, or where you have depth.  When you trade a prospect you're actualizing his value...  or at least trying to.  When you throw away bonus pools you're pissing value away.  Because of the changes to the CBA, pool money carries much more value than its real world equivalent.  It's a pretty simple concept.

Also remember that the $1 million in international money is just forfeited. It has no value to any other team. If the Angels trade for a reliever of Holland's caliber they could trade the international money and save on the prospects required to obtain him. 

17 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Would get us someone as good as Holland? Who is this reliever, and on what team? 

Are you thinking of a trading deadline type move, after we see how our pen is performing?

Yea I don’t know. Some other guys definitely would have more knowledge around this then I do. But I just don’t see another option as good as Holland avalible. I would have said Britton but his off-season didn’t go according to plan. 

Getting Holland would be like getting that lawn mower you desperately need. He/it’s not worth the price but you know what your getting and you’ll use it. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger. 

I have no problem if the Angels give up draft picks or international money for the right player. You play the game now and let the future take care of itself. 

Angels need to protect their investment ... money, players, fans etc.

Teams on the mend are a different story. 

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Would get us someone as good as Holland? Who is this reliever, and on what team? 

Are you thinking of a trading deadline type move, after we see how our pen is performing?

I'm putting together a list. I'm at lunch now so I'll get a better idea soon. But basically there were just over 100 relievers with an ERA+ over 124 (within 15 percent of Holland last season) and at least 30 IPs.

5 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I'm putting together a list. I'm at lunch now so I'll get a better idea soon. But basically there were just over 100 relievers with an ERA+ over 124 (within 15 percent of Holland last season) and at least 30 IPs.

How did that strategy work out for us at the turn of the decade?