• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

1 minute ago, nando714 said:

The angels are confusing 

it’s like they  want to be all in, but at the same time when you have a free agency like this off season where you’re not breaking the bank on years or dollars and they’re not taking advantage of it. 

People talk about losing a draft pick ? Imo if whoever signs makes us better todAy rather than a draft pick who might be a major leaguer in 2022 than I choose being better today. 

we filled our needs pretty early with Upton, Ohtani, Cozart and Kinsler.  Pen arms actually went very quickly this year and for high AAVs.  So the only place of need where we could take advantage of this market is SP.  

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

You just set yourself up for the Tex, Trout connection.

It's not about Tex/Trout, but it is continuing to build a farm.  Not only do you lose your draft pick but the money allotted to that draft pick.  That then hamstrings Eppler and doesn't allow him to draft a guy that might have sign-ability issues.  Would I have given up a draft pick for the right guy, sure, probably.  Not sure who that right guy is in this years free agent class.  

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we filled our needs pretty early with Upton, Ohtani, Cozart and Kinsler.  Pen arms actually went very quickly this year and for high AAVs.  So the only place of need where we could take advantage of this market is SP.  

Add bullpen as well.

21 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Nice move for the phills actually.   They could make a strong play for Machado next year and add another rotation piece.  They've still got a lot of good prospects as  well.  If they end up around .500 next year, I could see them start making a run.  

They certainly have the money for it, but the more they spend now, the less likely they're in play for Mike....

2 hours ago, nando714 said:

The angels are confusing 

it’s like they  want to be all in, but at the same time when you have a free agency like this off season where you’re not breaking the bank on years or dollars and they’re not taking advantage of it. 

People talk about losing a draft pick ? Imo if whoever signs makes us better todAy rather than a draft pick who might be a major leaguer in 2022 than I choose being better today. 

Oh, it's not confusing at all, after Arte  proclaimed that the Angels are losing money.

Yeah, that's what he said.....................;)

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Nice move for the phills actually.   They could make a strong play for Machado next year and add another rotation piece.  They've still got a lot of good prospects as  well.  If they end up around .500 next year, I could see them start making a run.  

I see the Phillies as one of the favorites (if not THE favorite?) to land Harper.  I figured Harper would head to the Yankees before this offseason, but given that they've acquired Stanton, their OF is pretty full overall, and I'm guessing the Yankees might pursue Machado themselves.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I see the Phillies as one of the favorites (if not THE favorite?) to land Harper.  I figured Harper would head to the Yankees before this offseason, but given that they've acquired Stanton, their OF is pretty full overall, and I'm guessing the Yankees might pursue Machado themselves.

that would be great.  take them out of the possibility of wanting trout.  

55 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that would be great.  take them out of the possibility of wanting trout.  

It doesn't necessarily preclude them.  They could conceivably sign both.  They don't really have any long-term contracts currently.  Both Santana and Arrieta signed for 3 year deals, and those would be expired by the time Trout is a FA.

31 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It doesn't necessarily preclude them.  They could conceivably sign both.  They don't really have any long-term contracts currently.  Both Santana and Arrieta signed for 3 year deals, and those would be expired by the time Trout is a FA.

going forward, we won't see two quarter bil + contracts on the same team.  

11 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

That the angels organization and their fans have very low aspirations.  It's sad really.

should we feel differently about our talent level vs. the other teams mentioned? so many questions persist about our pitching staff. you don't realistically think the angels are equal to boston, ny, and houston right now, do you?

the goal is to get in to the playoffs. i don't care how that happens or how many games they have to play, just get in.

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

i see the red sox making a big play for harper next season. he'd destroy that distance down the right field line.

14 hours ago, Warfarin said:

The dodgers. End of discussion. 

RE Arietta... another crazy front loaded short deal with opt outs... craziest off season ever continues.  
IMO a total over pay that makes little sense, i get the whole shorter deal higher dollars thing so its a bit skewed from estimates in that regard but still, just crazy.
2+ wins (per stathead estimates of his value) doesnt even get them out of the cellar, but im glad they did something for their fans.
I suspect their plan is looking at hometown boy Trout when they can and these guys they are bringing in is setting the table for that. 

7 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

Damn. Yankees are really going all in this year. I'd love the Angels to sign Cobb and push Ramirez or Shoe to the pen. 

Shoe is doing a pretty good job of pushing himself to the pen this spring, without any help from Cobb......

7 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

I'd love the Angels to sign Cobb and push Ramirez or Shoe to the pen. 

I completely agree.  It just feels (to me at least) as though the Angels have done enough to have a winning record, but they have fallen short of doing enough to make them compete with the better teams in the AL.  Cobb would help fix that big time.  They really need to make that move.