• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

A couple that peek my interest so far as FA's.

Jake McGee - Lefty for the bully 

Wellington Castillo - Catcher to pair with Maldonando. threw out 49% of the base runners. Good pop 20HRs in under 100 games. +2.1War in 2017

Questions:

What would it take to pry Trevor Bauer/Danny Salazar away from the Indians?

What would it take to pry Jeff Samardzija away from the Giants?

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

He's definitely worth looking at, but if we're spending closer money I'm focusing on Addison Reed.

What is the QO issue? Would we lose a top 3 pick or more now?... If he turns down the 17.4M QO from the Rockies! That would be too rich for my blood even though he looks like he's on the way back from TJ!

9 hours ago, Calzone said:

Well obviously some teams felt the need to move him. I’m fine with having him as our left fielder but giving yet another player total control of his destiny is not a good practice. You limit your flexibility to make changes if needed. 

you also limit your ability to field good players. no trade clauses and opt outs are part of the player's leverage. the angels can choose which kind of organization they want to be.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

A couple that peek my interest so far as FA's.

Jake McGee - Lefty for the bully 

Wellington Castillo - Catcher to pair with Maldonando. threw out 49% of the base runners. Good pop 20HRs in under 100 games. +2.1War in 2017

Questions:

What would it take to pry Trevor Bauer/Danny Salazar away from the Indians?

What would it take to pry Jeff Samardzija away from the Giants?

+1

Except that with those 2017 stats, someone will pay Castillo starting catcher money.   Give Carlos Perez another chance in 2018 as Machete's backup.   His hitting improved, and I imagine that his defense did too. 

CC would be ideal on a one-year deal, to give the Halos an innings eater with decent stats as the other starters build up innings counts in 2018 hopefully with an eye towards those other starters pitching at least 180 innings in 2019 (plus possibly Barria being in the 2019 rotation).   

If other teams offer him multiple years (for whatever reason), pass.

According to a report from the Associated Press, only six teams even have enough uncommitted pool space to offer Otani seven figures. The Rangers ($3.535MM), Yankees ($3.25MM), and Twins ($3.245MM) easily lead the way, with the Pirates ($2.2MM+), Marlins ($1.74MM), and Mariners ($1.57MM+) also have some money to spend — or, perhaps, to trade to a would-be Otani suitor. For someone who is expected to be an immediate and significant contributor at the major-league level, that’s a pittance no matter the precise amount. Of course, he’ll also have a chance to make significant income off the field and through a future extension or trip through arbitration.

There goes even more hope that the Angels sign him if there is even any hope left.

4 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

According to a report from the Associated Press, only six teams even have enough uncommitted pool space to offer Otani seven figures. The Rangers ($3.535MM), Yankees ($3.25MM), and Twins ($3.245MM) easily lead the way, with the Pirates ($2.2MM+), Marlins ($1.74MM), and Mariners ($1.57MM+) also have some money to spend — or, perhaps, to trade to a would-be Otani suitor. For someone who is expected to be an immediate and significant contributor at the major-league level, that’s a pittance no matter the precise amount. Of course, he’ll also have a chance to make significant income off the field and through a future extension or trip through arbitration.

There goes even more hope that the Angels sign him if there is even any hope left.

Well if we don’t get him, I hope the Twins get him. 

42 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

This dude is going to go wherever the hell he wants to go most -- it's all chump change and I find it hard to believe he would want to be somewhere he wouldn't be happy just to make 3 Mil for one season.  Remember -- year two he can just be renewed for the league minimum -- so he's got zero guarantees and MLB had already said that if any team gives him a ridiculous contract in year two they may void the entire thing and declare him a FA again.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

This dude is going to go wherever the hell he wants to go most -- it's all chump change and I find it hard to believe he would want to be somewhere he wouldn't be happy just to make 3 Mil for one season.  Remember -- year two he can just be renewed for the league minimum -- so he's got zero guarantees and MLB had already said that if any team gives him a ridiculous contract in year two they may void the entire thing and declare him a FA again.

My gut feeling is that he already has a team in mind that he wants to play for. He just has to wait out the process. But yes, we have no idea where he wants to play at this point. If I didn’t care about money or winning, I’d play for the Padres.

I'm not sure that AP report is correct regarding the Angels. Based on what I saw on the Baseball America report about Angels signings (unless there have been more since then that went unreported) the Angels should still have 7-digit sum left.

Maybe @Jeff Fletcher knows or could inquire with the team?

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

I'm not sure that AP report is correct regarding the Angels. Based on what I saw on the Baseball America report about Angels signings (unless there have been more since then that went unreported) the Angels should still have 7-digit sum left.

Maybe @Jeff Fletcher knows or could inquire with the team?

I don't know exactly what the Angels have left but my understanding is it doesn't matter. 

Ohtani's money is going to come from income beyond his contract (like a marketing deal) so he basically is going to pick where he wants to play, regardless of what that team can pay him. 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don't know exactly what the Angels have left but my understanding is it doesn't matter. 

Ohtani's money is going to come from income beyond his contract (like a marketing deal) so he basically is going to pick where he wants to play, regardless of what that team can pay him. 

Right I understand it doesn't matter in terms of where he goes I was just more interested in what we have left. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So Yankees, Dodgers, Chicago and Houston have the best chances....perfect.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

Right I understand it doesn't matter in terms of where he goes I was just more interested in what we have left. Thanks.

This article has a breakdown of what each team has left. We have $150k, which is toward the bottom of the heap:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rangers-can-offer-shohei-otani-money-not-much-may-think-230357634.html