• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

2 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Tanaka decided not to opt out.

That was going to be a close call. Topping 3/$67m was likely, but with the way he's pitched during the season it could has backfired on him. 

He was actually the most intriguing of the big name FA SPs to me, but his hot postseason guaranteed he'd cost too much.

If Johnny Cueto opts out for some unlikely and bizarre and foolish reason, I'd be interested in seeing how his market develops. I can't imagine anyone would want to offer him more, or anything even close, to what he's currently owed, so if he does opt-out maybe he finds himself backed into a corner in late winter taking something far less or built around another opt-out.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Johnny Cueto opts out for some unlikely and bizarre and foolish reason, I'd be interested in seeing how his market develops. I can't imagine anyone would want to offer him more, or anything even close, to what he's currently owed, so if he does opt-out maybe he finds himself backed into a corner in late winter taking something far less or built around another opt-out.

Cueto hasn’t really delivered on his last contract so he better stay put. I was actually hoping to get Tanaka. He might’ve helped us draw some interest from Otani. Yeah wishful thinking I guess.

13 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Cueto hasn’t really delivered on his last contract so he better stay put. I was actually hoping to get Tanaka. He might’ve helped us draw some interest from Otani. Yeah wishful thinking I guess.

He was fantastic in his first year. Last year was awful, really, but I think he's a good bet to bounce back nicely in 2018 - but not worth the risk at his current price. 

Now if they wanted to bundle up a combo of Panik, Belt, Cueto to clear some salary....

12 minutes ago, ettin said:

Even though I had a feeling this was a real possibility it is still stunning in terms of the additional money he could have earned.

Financial responsibility seems like it's becoming more prevalent - the big crazy contracts are becoming fewer and players seem to be taking less than expected more often than the other way around.

32 minutes ago, ettin said:

Even though I had a feeling this was a real possibility it is still stunning in terms of the additional money he could have earned.

I respect his decision. He’s a fan favorite playing for an organization that pampers their players like no other. He’s already rich with a beautiful wife and living a dream. He’s a hero in Japan and the Japanese baseball fans love the Yankees. 

6 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Peter Bourjos would be a nice backup to sign

If the guy could figure out how to steal a base, I'd agree. As it stands right now, out OF defense is pretty solid and not likely to be lifted late in the game for defense, which is where Pete excels. It'll be because we need a stolen base.

There’s a good chance that Revere finds 400 PAs someplace else but he’s great in the 4th OF role here and does a nice job pinch hitting for the catchers. 

We could really use a reliable lefty to help get through those middle innings or even just go once through a lefty heavy lineup like the Rangers

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I have the feeling a team like the A's or even Tigers will pick up Revere cheap with a promise of an outfield slot. 

Yup - he crumbled before he really had a shot to get his 'payday' contract. He looked like typical Revere in the second half. If he can get an everyday job in '18 and keep that up, he may be able to get that multi-year deal to stash away. 

Would love to have him back as the 4th OF though.

4 minutes ago, Calzone said:

How about CC Sabathia for one season. 

One year too late. Would have preferred the Angels kicked tires on him last year when NYY was anxious to drop salary. May have been able to get him fairly cheaply and he would have been a decent anchor for the '17 rotation. 

Now? A year older and after a fairly decent rebound season? He'll be too expensive.