• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

One year too late. Would have preferred the Angels kicked tires on him last year when NYY was anxious to drop salary. May have been able to get him fairly cheaply and he would have been a decent anchor for the '17 rotation. 

Now? A year older and after a fairly decent rebound season? He'll be too expensive.

He could end up being a 37 year old free agent. He's may end up being a bargain.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

He might, but I think both CC and the Yanks are gonna want to reunite again too much for him to walk.

That's possible but the Yankees are on a youth movement and may not see as much value in Sabathia as teams in a different market. The Yankees have Tanaka, Severino, Gray, Montgomery and Cessa. They are also very high on Chance Adams. 

Resign Petit, he ran empty because he was tired at the end of the season but he is depth in our pen. Resign Young, he is a perfect pinch runner and plays well in the field, many will think why Young, but remember he IS a bench player who will have 15 PA's a month (if that), but he can run around the bases and steal.

As for C.C. NO!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/rumors-cards-stanton-yelich-rangers-yu-cobb-tribe.html

Cardinals are reportedly willing to offer one of their best young SPs, of whom they have plenty, in a trade for Stanton or Yelich. I think they also have the OF depth to offer someone like Piscotty or Grichuk back as well, which would be useful to the Marlins as they 're-tool'.

Rangers also apparently very interested in Cobb.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/rumors-cards-stanton-yelich-rangers-yu-cobb-tribe.html

Cardinals are reportedly willing to offer one of their best young SPs, of whom they have plenty, in a trade for Stanton or Yelich. I think they also have the OF depth to offer someone like Piscotty or Grichuk back as well, which would be useful to the Marlins as they 're-tool'.

Rangers also apparently very interested in Cobb.

I could see the Marlins getting Alex Reyes along with Piscotty, Pham or Grichuk for Stanton if they take on the majority of the contract. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I could see the Marlins getting Alex Reyes along with Piscotty, Pham or Grichuk for Stanton if they take on the majority of the contract. 

They definitely could pull it off and may need a splash of that magnitude to keep up with the Cubs. Would come down to weather or not Stanton wanted to play in St. Louis.

Yelich really seems like a Cards player too.

8 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Not sure why they would agree to this. His prior contracts never had full no trade clauses. As if the extra money and year was not enough. That clause automatically makes it an overpay.

With how many times Upton has been traded around and used as a high-stakes lotto ticket, I'm sure it was a perk to help seal the deal and make him feel wanted without just paying more millions to do so.

I feel, Upton at the end of the day, just wanted to be somewhere he felt truly wanted and this reinforces that.

And he can always waive it in the future for some extra money.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:34 AM, Chuckster70 said:

I feel like those guys are pretty meh. I think we have something better to offer

4 minutes ago, nando714 said:

I feel like those guys are pretty meh. I think we have something better to offer

Much like the Halos theoretically offering Calhoun in a Stanton deal, it's not because the incoming OF is valuable to the Marlins - it's to shed salary and space from the outgoing team and give Marlins an MLB-ready OF option to either shop around later or to pass off to their fanbase as a thinly-veiled argument that they're still playing to win (a WC spot) today.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

With how many times Upton has been traded around and used as a high-stakes lotto ticket, I'm sure it was a perk to help seal the deal and make him feel wanted without just paying more millions to do so.

I feel, Upton at the end of the day, just wanted to be somewhere he felt truly wanted and this reinforces that.

And he can always waive it in the future for some extra money.

Well obviously some teams felt the need to move him. I’m fine with having him as our left fielder but giving yet another player total control of his destiny is not a good practice. You limit your flexibility to make changes if needed. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Much like the Halos theoretically offering Calhoun in a Stanton deal, it's not because the incoming OF is valuable to the Marlins - it's to shed salary and space from the outgoing team and give Marlins an MLB-ready OF option to either shop around later or to pass off to their fanbase as a thinly-veiled argument that they're still playing to win (a WC spot) today.

The Angels have a perfect prospect to send in the Miami package too: Former 1st round pick Kaleb Cowart!

Jeter: "Not only did we get a premium player in Kole Calhoun, we also picked up a 1st round pick! Rejoice Marlins fans, rejoice!"

18 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Well even your boy Heyward didn’t get a full no trade throughout his entire deal. It’s just not a smart thing to do IMO. 

He's got a full no trade in the first three years --  The Cubs then get a two year window where there are 8 teams both sides agreed he could be traded to -- beyond that point he gets a full no trade again due to 10/5 status.   It's an uncommon set up.  Honestly his deal is a trip period..   He's got multiple opt-outs, the second one is requires him to have at least 550 at bats -- so it seems like the Cubs wanted that one in there to protect against him having a really good but injury shorted season then skating..   Dude's entire signing bonus was deferred too, but it becomes payable all at once if he opts out after next season.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's got a full no trade in the first three years --  The Cubs then get a two year window where there are 8 teams both sides agreed he could be traded to -- beyond that point he gets a full no trade again due to 10/5 status.   It's an uncommon set up.  Honestly his deal is a trip period..   He's got multiple opt-outs, the second one is requires him to have at least 550 at bats -- so it seems like the Cubs wanted that one in there to protect against him having a really good but injury shorted season then skating..   Dude's entire signing bonus was deferred too, but it becomes payable all at once if he opts out after next season.

Yes indeed. I’m just not a fan of handing out that full no trade so loosely. I looked at the market and couldn’t really come up with another team that could give Upton the type of package that he was looking for. Money, extension, location, full no trade and a chance to win. Even when the Tigers signed him as a free agent they didn’t offer him a full no trade clause. It is what it is but really damages the future flexibility down the road. Just a thought. We move on.